large scale map - Talbot Street

It could well have been Parr's - that name does seem familiar in the back of my mind. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think there was any indication outside the building as to what went on there, it was just general 'jungle rumblings' at the time that they made Post Office relays and that Ericcsons was very big in Nottingham (Beeston, mainly) and in telephones

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here's a photo to prove it. On the far left, you can also see the former livery stable which became a restaurant, and which is now student accommodation building

Ben Bowers became 1877 and then had a brief existence as a bar, The Late Lounge. A girl I was at school with worked at Ben Bowers in the late '70s.   Before then, until some time in the earl

Now you've said that, here's a better and more accurate version. It's even marked as Depository to confirm everything.     And here's a photo from the 1950s looking down Talbot Str

22 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Perhaps it didn’t have arched windows. Can’t see them on the old ‘photos.

I seem to remember no change in the windows after the switch over to restaurant usage. 

I've been twice. Once for funeral purposes and once to eat. Very good fish and chips. Mr. Haddock also had a branch in The Ossington building on Beastmarket Hill in Newark opposite the castle. The funeral was to do with an uncle. As I recollect I was the first to turn up at his house (I was 21 at the time) and then the funeral director arrived alone and I had to act as his assistant. I helped carry the body out to the van. All very strange!

7 hours ago, jonab said:

It could well have been Parr's - that name does seem familiar in the back of my mind. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think there was any indication outside the building as to what went on there, it was just general 'jungle rumblings' at the time that they made Post Office relays and that Ericcsons was very big in Nottingham (Beeston, mainly) and in telephones

I think it may have been Pressac, they were in Stapleford and are now on Glaisdale Drive.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Great photo, CT. Those were the days. All gone downhill since!

That former Boots / Ben Bowers building hasn't yet gone downhill but it's going. After Ben Bowers closed, the building had a few other lives but none lasted long. It's been empty and gradually going derelict for several years.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct, up that lane behind the Cortina was Lambert Cottages. From some research I did into the Dakins fire, I read  that Dakin and Stirling owned Lambert Cottages as well as that terrace on the left, after the Cort, 72 to 82 Talbot Street. They had applied in 1966 to demolish the lot, both those terraces as well as the storage building. That was to build a huge "modern" office type building.

It was refused.

Strange that in 1969 the major fire occurred !, still for sale at the time (Walker  Walton and Hansons for sale board can be seen above the wall on that 'morning after the fire' photo.)

And what's there now ?   yep...……!

• Like 1