9.00pm tonight (Thursday 13th) Channel 5 . documentary on 'The Reds' Straight after the BBC4 one on trains

It was great wasn't it, a well made programme.

I saw the F-18 equiped Blue Angels at Finningley about 15 years ago and the Thunderbirds at Mildenhall Air Fete in 97. These teams are noisy, close flying, impressive but just lack the constant change of formation and ballet like skill that the Reds have, they are truly the best in the world.

As you could see, the US teams rely on razamataz and over the top presentation to do their stuff, the Thunderbirds are the worst, when we saw them at the Hall their presentation was so ridiculous that the crowd was in fits of laughter, they even had cheerleaders for Gods Sake. It made me smile when the leader of the Reds asked if he could take the p1$$ when the Angels pilots marched past, our boys are so cool, laid back and sincere, it obviously is the right attitude.

Great program, I must be one of the lucky ones as I have seen the Red Arrows practicing every day now for the last 4 weeks and they are getting better with each outing, the program though brings it home to you just how much skill and dedication these men put into it

Rog

Many years ago the Reds celebrated their 25th Anniversary at Scampton, all tickets were initially invitation only. In those days there was no Internet and so I sniffed around on the phone, found a number, dialled it, and found myself talking to Red 1, the leader, I couldn't believe it. He did a deal whereby if I sent a cheque to the RAF charity of his choice, he'd send me tickets, what a lovely bloke and an honour to be able to talk to him. My now ex-missus was a rich business woman in those days and she sent a very large cheque, we got 3 tickets, one for her particularly important client, but he was a smashing bloke anyway so I was well impressed.

What a show, every European Team, plus the Canadians with an F-18, sadly the USAF didn't make an effort. The honour of performing in the sunset was given to the Frecce Tricolori, they are my second favourite team after the Reds, they are superb, you have to see them and their manic commentary, well done to them for recovering from their terrible accident in Germany. A day unlikely to be repeated I reckon.

I too love the tricky friccys, and I was shouting at the telly "Go on Go on say it you know you want to" at that bit re the 'Thunderbirds' pilot. I was amazed at his reserve , but thats training for you !! great ambasadors the lot of them!!

I too love the tricky friccys, and I was shouting at the telly "Go on Go on say it you know you want to" at that bit re the 'Thunderbirds' pilot. I was amazed at his reserve , but thats training for you !! great ambasadors the lot of them!!

Agreed, don't you just love em all, how any of them do it is beyond me, 100ft cross over on the Red Arrows singleton pass is beyond my comprehension, they live on another planet.

• 7 years later...

No, it seemed a bit stretched out but not as far as Newark. I thought it would have been more over the centreline of the runway but they kept coming from all directions. I've seen better displays from them but that was in the 80's. Perhaps more safety conscious now.

On a trip to the tip just to the north of Newcastle upon Tyne I saw the Red Arrows flying low in close formation having just left the Sunderland Air Show and returning to land at Newcastle Airport. They all pulled back their sticks and Ros vertically in a column formation before peeling off one after the other to form a line to land in rapid succession . Not part of their official display but very impressive!

3 hours ago, Trickymicky said:

Thanks for the info. I had a look from the top of Longhedge Lane, enjoyed it, although i always think about Vulcan VX 770 when i go up there. 

Yes, I remember that well. One of my school friends was in the St. John's at the time and he told us about collecting up the body parts.

• 2 years later...

I heard them but didn’t see them.  My husband and son are going to the Fairford Air Tattoo on Saturday, they’ll get their fill of fancy flying machines there no doubt.  

• 3 weeks later...

When we lived in Bakersfields and the Red Arrows were performing at Nottingham Air Show we were able to see them from our bedroom windows so would rush upstairs when we heard them. Now I live about 10 miles from their base at  RAF Scampton and, when they aren't away at shows, their practicing often brings them over my garden....and I still rush out to see them when I hear that very distinctive engine roar.  Unfortunately the base is due to close next year and they are being moved away from this area. Everyone is very upset about that as we feel they belong to us.

• Like 1