Carlton rd/Carlton Hill memories

Certainly was Jill.....loved it..........the bloke that knocked me teeth out,,was a nice chap unless he was on Drugs,,even spoke up for him in court,,tho he still got sent down,, i received £3ooo in criminal injuries,,had nice holiday....:)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just looking that picture of Carlton Road makes wonder about the work involved  laying all those cobblestones. The sheer number must mean that somewhere there was fairly major industry producing them. All the cobbles I've seen didn't look as though they were machine cut, how were they made and where were the granite quarries?

I don't know the answer Brew, but there was certainly a plentiful supply of cheap labour in those days.

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Just looking that picture of Carlton Road makes wonder about the work involved  laying all those cobblestones. The sheer number must mean that somewhere there was fairly major industry producing them. All the cobbles I've seen didn't look as though they were machine cut, how were they made and where were the granite quarries?

And what was it like to ride bikes on that kind of road surface ?

3 hours ago, Brew said:

This was an answer to a previous thread about cobbles though not saying those cobbles are from this source :

Probably most of Nottinghams granite setts came from Mountsorrel . This an advert from 1870s

"THE GRANITE PATINO SETTS surpass all others in the Kingdom for toughness, combined with good foothold for horses. THE MOUNTSORREL Granite “BROKEN,” Is one the best Materials for Road Making known. THE MOUNTSORREL GRANITE QUARRIES find work for 500-600 men.....

18 May 1872 - Nottingham Journal "

Quarries still going and owned by tarmac.

http://www.tarmac.com/mountsorrel-quarry/about

• Upvote 1