House in the 70s

A couple of new photos on Picture the Past brought back memories. They show what PTP describe as a typical interior from the early 70s. I can remember living like this, and I'm probably not the only one.

dDQOZLh.jpg

And I suspect there might be a few people whose furniture still looks like that.

• Upvote 3

Some of my furniture is best described as "a reconstruction of period timbers". In other words, not serious or valuable antiques but very old and quirky in some cases! A bit like its owner!

I even have an 18th century pole screen that prevents the make up melting when sitting by the fire browsing NS!

None of this stuff will ever wear out. It was made to last by people who knew how to craft things properly. Sadly, it's all very out of fashion at present but I've never followed fashion and I don't intend to start now!

• Upvote 1

What great pictures....

When my mum and dad built their house in the late 1960's they had that same orange wrighton kitchen, G plan Danish furniture, and dralon sofa from Sankeys in sandiacre.....

They still live in that same house but sadly the kitchen and the furniture has been replaced....

Would be very retro and on trend today 

My God, typical 70's gas fire and chipboard cupboards. 

I have had most of the items and decor in both pictures at different times and houses I have lived in since 1966. Formica furniture, the kitchen cupboards typical of the type I have had, only ever had electric cookers though. Both images could almost be pictures of my own homes at times.

As time moved on and finances got better, we were able to choose the styles we wanted and not just have the cheapest we could buy. Now our home is a mixture of modern and Victorian style, Lots of cherry wood furniture and a couple of chandeliers, and Flowery stuff here and there! Chosen with care and the old and new seem to work together. The old French windows replaced with a very large custom made Patio door. 

The 70s style did seem to have a lot of orange and brown furniture and wallpaper. I never liked it then and it just tickles me when I see how many of us went for the same patterns and colours. My daughter pays a fortune to buy what she refers to as retro. I must say she has a good eye for it.

Yes, Carni, my bedroom was orange with a brown carpet in the mid 70s and bluegrass with psychedelic wallpaper before that!! Yuk!

Wallpaper now is mainly black and red! Horrible. What I really love are the Lincrusta designs. The Art Deco panels etc. Not cheap and not DIY if you want it to look right but very much to my taste.

Since my house was built in the 30s, I try to have nothing too modern in it. Latest addition, last year, was a 400 year old stone lintel over the fireplace when my Multi fuel burner was installed. I know two burly builders with hernias!!

I like Laura Ashley wallpaper. No Homebase stuff here !

• Upvote 1

When we moved into this house in 1982, we removed most of the downstairs picture rails as we went through decorating. Two years ago we went out to buy replacements to put them back. I can't remember whether we couldn't find real picture rails or if they were to expensive, but we replaced them with dado rails and they look nearly authentic (good enough for us). Our ceilings are nine foot, so the picture rail really does look nice, even though it is really a dado.

• Upvote 1

In between marriages about 1970 I painted everything Orange (well an Uncle did) and moved a Hippy girl in from Birmingham,soon got fed up with her and her feet and Sandals.........she left when I had it all painted again white and cream.......she thought I WAS ODD............lol.

I have one of the old Glow Worm back boiler units on my service round, installed early 80s and still chugging away.

The modern HE boilers we are lucky if they last 10 years and according to Which magazine you will have to spend a grand in repairs on them in that time.

I grew up in the 70's, in the bungalows of Wollaton Park. As a disabled child I was a weekly boarder at 'Thieves Wood School For Very Severely Disabled Children'. (What a title!)

I came home one Friday evening to discover my mother had redecorated my bedroom. My walls were an insipid lilac colour, and every possible surface of my old Victorian 'brown' furniture and been covered in Fablon in a typical 70's design of bright orange, yellow and green big flowers! It was hideous. I also had one of those bri-nylon quilted bedspreads in deep purple. But the worst was yet to come. Somehow she had managed to find sets of nylon vests and pants in a very similar design, and bought me 2 pairs of each; yellow, orange and lilac!

• Upvote 1

Great photos Cliff Ton.  When we moved into our second house the kitchen units were like those.  When we changed the kitchen we gave them to the local Scout group for the kitchen in the scout hut.   We update and replace decor and furnishings but retaining the nice things we like.  I will not be dictated to by fashion changes in interior design!  Today I was looking around a furnishing store and so many items are artistic but sterile.  They would be no substitute for the ones we have, the gifts from friends and family, heirlooms and reminders of special events. Our white and pale pastel walls are the backdrop to our home and the theme is timeless!  It is still interesting to look back at styles of different times.  Thanks Cliff Ton.

Our bedroom in the late 60's/early 70's was 3 white walls, the 'bed' wall was wallpapered with huge orange poppies and the candlewick bedspread  and curtains were orange. I'm betting the carpet was brown but can't remember. We thought we were the bees knees. Our bathroom suite was turquoise. 

• Upvote 1

My bathroom suite is turquoise! Very nice it is too and I'm not changing it for a new one. These days, bathroom suites are like the old Ford populars...you can have any colour as long as it's white (or black in the case of the erstwhile Fords).

Not seen a candlewick bedspread for years! I do have pure wool Witney blankets in winter though. Snug as a bug in a rug!

I'm about to refit my bathroom, and have a 1980s Sorrento Blue three piece suite which will be skipped. If anyone out there is into retro and is able to pick it up from Greater Manchester they are welcome to it.