vintage car handy man

Is their any member who knows anyone who can replace a car window screen. The car is a Singer Vogue. The front window has been fitted but the metal/steel insert was not put back. When it rains the car gets wet though. Would be very great full if any members knows any one out there. Please get in touch.

Mary, The windscreen fits in a rubber moulding that fits to the opening in the body if this moulding is not fitted to the body correctly or the glass is not properly fitted to this moulding then the usual result is a leak. If the moulding used was one sold by the yard the join is another potential source of a leak. The metal parts that you can see are trim only and usually play no part in the sealing of the screen. There are a number of sealing products out there that are what is called "self wicking" that will find the leak and seal it if you have an idea where it is coming from. I would suggest to do a Google search for classic car restorations in your area or even contact the many of the enthusiast clubs for Singer or Rootes Group Vehicles, they will be able to point you in the right direction eg http://www.asco.org.uk/ for Singer cars or For Rootes Group Vehicles http://www.kensparkes-sunbeamalpine.co.uk/index.html. New seals, if needed, for these cars are available from many of these sites too. Good Luck as windscreen leaks can be a bugga to find and fix.

I am no expert on this but the metal trim may be a type that pushes into a groove in the rubber and tighten it. It's absence may be the problem. Do you still have the metal trim. Why was it left off. As the post above I think you need to contact an owners group for your car who will no doubt have someone who has a answer.

Good luck.

Mary

The filler insert strip has to be fitted to tighten the seal.

A tool called a lacer is required, good news is a complete installation set is available at £12.05. It's easy to use but not sure if instructions are included I'm sure info will be on the internet though.

www.gunson.co.uk/product/77136

Thanks to all members that have sent me the information that I ask for, it is not my car but belongs to my Tai Chi instructor, it is a great car she has done most of the work on it her self, it is metallic purple and all around the car are pictures/paintings of ghost/ghouls and skeletons  I will pass you messages on.

Just one more thing the reason the car has these symbols on is because Tai Chi instructor is a Goth.

Thanks again to all.