A Up from me - a newbie

Hello Julie and thanks for your post! I had no idea Miss Colthorpe's name was Edna. Most of her ilk just didn't seem human to us and, for the most part, we didn't know their first names. Miss Colthorpe was head of geography and never taught me.

It certainly seems that she and her entire family were blessed with the gift of longevity!

Believing, as I do, that we all move on to a different plane of existence when we escape from this one, no doubt I'll have a lot of apologising to do for my satirical and usually less than flattering scribblings about those who were unfortunate enough to teach me! Should keep me busy for the first few years!

I do hope Marian's funeral went well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard someone on the radio singing Cwm Rhondda this morning. Well it is Sunday. It's been stuck in my head ever since so I've had to take drastic action to oust it. This is the result. I'm sure you

Just fished out my school report book. Yes, I still have it and it is 47 years ago to this very date that I spent my first day at the Manning.   I see from the reports in the book that I had

I feel inspired to add my own tribute to my old alma mater. The tune is well known, please feel free to join in. Apologies to any left wing members for misappropriation of their anthem.   TH

I'm relatively new to the site, and have to say, Jill, your memories are a treat to read. I am of the male persuasion, and I lived on Leslie Rd, from the age of 11, (1955), and my memory of Manning was to try not to look too obvious looking through the railings, trying to carch sight of netball practice! I went to Claremont Sec Bi-lateral from 1955-1959, The school was in Carrington, but The Forest was my playground. The improvements made there are really good, and the Forest now plays host to other events than Goose Fair. As Manning was opposite, it must have been great for your girls to have the Forest so near. I left the area in 1966, and was surprised when I saw the Manning had moved. I wonder if it was the better for it? I believe single sex schools were the best, and would like to see their return. 

• Upvote 1