This new format is appalling

9 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

If you click the black heart at the bottom right of your post a popup will appear and tell you who gave you the reputation, or a list of people if more than one. Or at least it works for me and still does. What it doesn't tell you is whether or not the reputation they are giving yopu is good or bad  :rolleyes:

It used to work for me, but doesn't any more. At the bottom right I still get this.........

quote_zpsjnhky0wl.jpg

On the old system if I clicked on the green heart I could see which 4 people who had "Liked" the post. Now I can't click on it at all.  And when I get a Notification that someone has put a "Like" on a post, it just says "Someone" has liked it - it doesn't give their name.  So I don't know who is liking it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no further support for the Old version, No security patches, updates or help from support technician in case of problem. I still continue to pay $$$ for support/updates every 6 months. I

I think we've all got over the shock of Nottstalgia's changes, so perhaps this thread should be locked now and a more positive one in its place. It seems to be encouraging whinging while it is still u

As Mick has continually said, the old format was past it's sell-by date and needed upgrading. I don't understand how some can't seem to get that into their heads. The new format has had it's teething

As Mick has continually said, the old format was past it's sell-by date and needed upgrading. I don't understand how some can't seem to get that into their heads. The new format has had it's teething problems and now seems to be working again, after a great deal of effort and cost I'm sure. So it's not been accessible for a week, so bleddy what? Nottstalgia is great, it's completely free, I'm grateful.

• Upvote 9

I was looking back at some archives on Nottm bombings the other day- cripes!!

That old format looked dated. These problems are teaching me more about navigation around the computer than any college course...now where's that photo of Vernon's??

Awright let ode Loppy wade in for a minute.

First up this is not a complaint or a moan, even if it sounds like it.  I have great appreciation for all that Mick has done and the expense he has gone to.  I am OK with the new format, I realize the old was no longer supported.

Here are the current issues.  For info of those in charge.  As I said not a moan.

I am on my Ipad.  I can no longer log in on my laptop.  As soon as I hit login it says something like sending login to NS and thats it.  Eventually a time out screen appears.

Even logging on with the Ipad is hit and miss.  It often takes several attempts.  BTW. It wasn't that way at first.  Just since the shutdown of the last few days.

i know we've been this route before, but I greatly enjoy NS.  It is a link with my past that I never thought I'd see.  I look forward to dropping in each day.  I feel like I know y'all.  I really missed you over the last few days.  That said I for one would be willing to contribute a bit each year to offset Mick's costs.  After all, sites like ancestry charge a fee for use.  We are getting a benefit, its not unreasonable to contribute a bit.  New members could be free for so many posts to avoid turning newcomers away, but if you keep posting because you like the site, pay to play.

last is just a question.  How do sites like google and bots manage to eat up four gig of bandwidth.  If they can do that they should pay!

well there yar.  A couple of thoughts from an old hound.  Hope it will be accepted in the spirit it is intended.

Have a good day y'all.

Dave

• Upvote 4

I'm not really up on it either, Jill.  To the best of my knowledge it is some way in which google index what is on a site.  Their motto used to be something like, 'Don't be evil'.  Well if they are pinching something like 4 gig of a sites bandwidth it is hardly being good!  Sounds like a denial of service attack to me.  But I don't know much.  Maybe Mick will update us on this.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, mick2me said:

There is no further support for the Old version, No security patches, updates or help from support technician in case of problem.

I still continue to pay $$$ for support/updates every 6 months. I estimate I have spent $750 for this software.

The recent hosting problems forced me to buy premium hosting costing 6 time the original amount.

I dread to think how much the added web hosting costs are over the years.

Then there was the matter of time spent by myself and volunteers over the years.

Now any further complaints?

Time for voluntary subs? A couple of forums I'm on take donations to offset costs. Doner usually gets a sweetener, special access or summat. 

• Upvote 3

if this will help loppylugs  - i dont know if you are using the same addresses to access the forums  on either device  - also have you cleared your history and cookies  on the browsers used? 

1st screenshot of the log in page using Google Chrome on my ipad

2nd screenshot is using Safari to access the forums via my ipad 

3rd screenshot is using Google Chrome on my pc running windows 7 

4th screenshot is using Internet Explorer 11 on my pc running windows 7 

screenshots are for reference and to show address to access the forums ok 

IMG_0029_zpsk8my9rx5.pngIMG_0030_zpsn48l7jyz.png

chrome_zpscw7zeoyt.jpg

ie%2011_zpscxnzqzt9.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks, Enigma.  Yes, I often clear cache history etc on Safari because it seems to run faster if I do that.  I'll have a dig around the laptop and see if cleaning up a bit will help.

Funny thing is I can get to NS and see the publicly available pages, but as soon as I try to log in the problems start.  I can't even get the public pages to come up anymore.  Other forums I'm a member of still work fine.  Problem has just been with NS since the shutdown of the last few days.

Totally agree google bot should be held accountable.

I would gladly pay a fee or donation or whatever you want to call it,Im one of the relative newcomers but blinking neck I didn't half miss it,even if I don't post everyday I always log in it fascinating looking back .

Thank-you Mick and Co for all your hard work.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I am on my Ipad.  I can no longer log in on my laptop.  As soon as I hit login it says something like sending login to NS and thats it.  Eventually a time out screen appears.

As well as clearing caches and cookies etc, are you working from an old bookmark ?

• Upvote 1

Ey-up y'all,............missed a lot of you (not all lol)...........and yes Ian ref' photos of Vernons,i don't think cliff-ton as tried hard enough,and a man of his 'calibre' too lol.,........and nice to read from Loppy again,.......oh Jill you must pack up 'googlebotting' it just confuses me,.........Donations? good idea !.....just have to to do a bit more work,tut,i'll never be able to retire properly will I,................anyway glad all back 'up and running'

• Upvote 3

GORRIT!!!!!!!!    Got on my laptop and did a lot of experimenting in settings etc.   Eventually under the help menu I found an entry to "update Firefox'.   So I did......

Now I'm logged in on my laptop.   I'm a happy camper!  Not really sure exactly what cured it.  I'd already cleared cache,  cookies, reset the bookmark etc. with no change.

Anyway I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having the same trouble in Firefox.

Symptoms were:   It would bring up NS from my bookmark or google

You hit Login and enter name @ password

Hit send and it would say 'Contacting NS"  Then it would hang until it timed out.

You could not even re-load the start page.

Strange things computers.  Lol.

Not quite so sure I gorrit now.  After initial trial I find I can now login o-k but sometimes when I post it just says 'saving'  Other times 'waiting for Nostalgia'  Anyway we are going in the right direction.