New word of today

Have you heard a word you've never heard before?

I've  just read a comment about Keith Vaz apparently his solicitor has issued a letter to another MP which said: 'You have been maliciously spreading false and highly defamatory SCUTTLEBUTT about him' Never heard this word before but I must say just the sound seems appropriate.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I've heard it off and on over the years.  I was sitting here thinking about the construction and meaning of the word.

To 'scuttle' a ship is to deliberately pull the plug and sink it.

'Butt' is a word used often here in America to describe the posterior. 

So I suppose to put them together is the idea of speaking in such a way of a person that you sink his rear end in the water!  :biggrin:  Certainly make him look a fool.

Highly speculative, I know but I got a smile out of it anyway.

• Upvote 2

I've known two people who used this word, both of them ex Naval, and I believe it is a nautical term in origin. Having been for so long a great seafaring nation, I suppose this explains why so much of the terminology has become everyday parlance. My father was always coming out with some naval term or another.

As Jill says a naval term . Had to google it and it comes from a water barrel (the butt) that has been scuttled I.e. a hole made in it for the water to come out . Sailors gathered round and exchanged gossip whilst having a sup .

I looked in the newspaper archives and as far as I could see it was only used 4 times and that was in the 1840s ! Its use there was comparing the amount of water in a scuttlebutt to other lakes and seas.

• Upvote 3

Scuttlebutt

scuttle.gif The origin of the word "scuttlebutt," which is nautical parlance for a rumor, comes from a combination of "scuttle" -- to make a hole in the ship's hull and thereby causing her to sink --- and "butt" -- a cask or hogshead used in the days of wooden ships to hold drinking water. The cask from which the ship's crew took their drinking water -- like a water fountain -- was the "scuttlebutt". Even in today's Navy a drinking fountain is referred to as such. But, since the crew used to congregate around the "scuttlebutt", that is where the rumors about the ship or voyage would begin. Thus, then and now, rumors are talk from the "scuttlebutt" or just "scuttlebutt". 

The above is the most common so LL and JS both right but there are numerous definitions on the net some which can be applied humorously to alleged recent activities of Vaz, particularly if the word is separated scuttle and butt.

• Upvote 2

Scuttle and butt, it sounds a bit obscene to me! 

Scuttlebutt: A Nottingham word derives from:

Scuttle.......Wot yer put coal in.

Butt............Wot yer keep water in.

When unscrupulous Nottingham coal merchants wished to gain an advantage over their competitors they would employ the services of young lads. They would send the young urchins (or scuttlebutts) round at night to wet down their rival's coal stock, using any method at their disposal, making it difficult to light thereby spoiling their reputation. So when they found they could no longer sell their coal they would be forced to enter into another trade e.g. purveyor of domestic white goods.  

I've heard that soaking the coal also made it weigh heavier, thereby enabling unscrupulous coal merchants to deliver short measure to their customers and flog the excess, pocketing the additional cash..

I have one friend who lives outside the smoke controlled zone and is able to burn ordinary house coal. At delivery time, he goes out to check that the fuel is dry, otherwise he won't accept it. Mine comes prepackaged and is always dry. You can't trust anybody these days!