Once upon a time there were two little girls running their hearts out in the South Notts Schools Athletics Championships.  They didn't know each other and went to different schools.

50 years later they met through Nottstalgia.  Those two girls are on this photo.  

S%20Notts%20Champs_zpsffjami5p.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once upon a time there were two little girls running their hearts out in the South Notts Schools Athletics Championships.  They didn't know each other and went to different schools. 50 years late

In 1951 I spent a month at Pipewood Camp. Whilst there we did a cross-country run around the local lanes. Unbeknown to me someone took a photo of some of us, and this came to light at a Crane School r

Sport never did anything for me, I mean, who wants to run flat out around a track just to be quicker than anyone else ?Then be knackered fterwards ! We did'nt do too much sport at school cos we w

What year was that Lizzie ?

I ran in a race for Gedling school in those championships. Don't remember much about it but think it was the 400 yards maybe 1964/5 .

City schools sports were held on Wollaton park,when I was in em in the 50s,thought I was Roger Bannister at my school.......but up against the rest of the city schools was soon brought down to earth and finished 4th in the 100 yards.......and nowhere in the longer distances..............

I remember 'avinago at the Pole Vault at the school's House Sports Day. Never done it before. I just took the pole from the teacher and ran down the runway concentrating on placing the end of the pole in the little trough at the end, like I'd been told. I got off the ground ok, I obviously dint clear the bar, which had been set at an optimistic 6'. However, we did get a point for entering. Come On Sherwood!!!

• Upvote 1

5th from the left, on the front row is it Lizzie? 

• Upvote 1

# 6. David, I think it would have been 1965.  

# 8, Benjamin, I agree with you, there was a tremendous difference between school sports and district/county sports.  I won everything at school, running, jumping and even throwing, but up against the best in the county it was a different matter!   Hippogirl was good though .......well she said she was!!

• Upvote 3

The trouble with school athletics and sport at school generally was that if you were good at anything you lost your Saturday off to get involved in school sporting activities. I wasn't having any of that, I was such a busy person outside of school, so many adventures to be had!!

Besides as I said on my BGS ramblings, there was an elitsm at the school, if you were good at rugby, you were assumed to be good at everything else.

I saved everything up for our last athletics day grading at the end of the fifth form, I took most people apart in every event, my sports teacher was astonished, serve him right, his words at parents meetings were that Peter was uncoordinated and dissenteressed, proved him wrong.

Firbeck is not wrong there! I was always useless at sport but I do recall walking past the dreaded railings fronting Gregory Boulevard in the morning on my way to another scintillating day at the girl's penitentiary and seeing a hockey game in full swing on the field. Presumably, those who enjoyed and were good at the game got up at the crack of dawn to play before school with Pickleface urging them on.

At some point during those years, we had double daylight saving time and it didn't get light til midmorning. Yet those girls were still playing hockey by moonlight as I dragged my reluctant bones past the railings and into school.

Getting up in the dark to play hockey? S*d that for a game of soldiers! 

I competed in athletics and cross-country when I was at Mundella, against schools and in County championships. As Firbeck said, events were often held on Saturday mornings and I had to get on a bus, sometimes two and make my way to schools all over the city. Didn't get any travel cost recompense either. Even if I did well, I didn't seem to get a great deal of recognition. It was often at odds with other leisure activities. However, I'm sure it helped make me the very competitive individual that I became and has been a great advantage throughout my life.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed my athletics ,especially at Notts AC and at uni.

The biggest problem about Saturday sport was the " Saturday job " which kicked in around 14 and funded my dungeon/ beachcomber/ boat club habit .....

During the winter I was quite happy to give up netball and hockey teams but come summer the sound of the starting gun and the roar of the crowd ( well 3 men and a dog ) would  make me ask woolworths for a " career break " till September 

• Upvote 2