Mid-60s dress standards; a headmaster's comment.

I left sec modern at 15.  Walked into an apprenticeship at 16. Never looked back.

With regards to schools.  My late wife was at the Nottingham High School for Girls. When I met her she was 17.  I think her dad paid for her to attend, no scholarship.  She had passed 11+. Never really did figure out what she saw in a scruffy apprentice electrician.  She got 8 O levels and a couple of A levels and was all set for teachers training college in Coventry.

She decided to forgo that to be with me.  Her dad said that was up to her but he wanted her to get some qualification so she could live if I croaked.  She went to Clarendon College and did secretarial.  Later she said she was glad she never became a teacher.  She Enjoyed being an executive secretary in Calgary.  (He was a wise dad.  No wonder I liked him)

I was glad she made that choice, although I would never have tried to talk her out of going to Coventry if she'd wanted to.  I just didn't know how I'd ever see her.  I had no car and no money to buy one.  I figured that might have been the end of the romance. Aaah! Young love eh?   Coventry seemed a long way from Nottingham in those days.  (1963)

I wondered if any of you ladies on here ever went to NGHS.  Headmistress then was Miss Milford.  Janet might have even known some of you.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very interesting thread!  My great grandmother passed the exam for the grammar school and it was only a short walk from where the family lived.  Her dad was an agricultural labourer and so could not

I had a great time at Mundella GS, the social side was fantastic but I didn't do too well academically. No-one actually seemed to care, when I look back, it certainly wasn't a challenging or nurturing

I wore the same blazer throughout my time at Manning...and the same skirt. By the time I left, the sleeves of the blazer were more or less up to my elbows but I refused to permit my mother to buy any

A very interesting thread!  My great grandmother passed the exam for the grammar school and it was only a short walk from where the family lived.  Her dad was an agricultural labourer and so could not afford to let her go.  My mum often talked about her grandmother  telling me about a lively, happy, hard working and much loved lady.  Happiness counts most of all.

When I passed the 11+ exam to go to BGS my grandfather paid for my uniform.  I enjoyed my time at BGS with great friends, some good teachers (not all!) and great science and maths lessons. I chose options for the 4th year: 3 sciences and geography.  Dr Peake came into a lesson and asked to speak to me, in front of the class.  "Your options Shirley, are they really what you want to do?"  My answer "Yes sir, geography will fit very well with 3 sciences".  I knew he was actually questioning the sciences as most girls did not do 3. He went away and I got my choice!  I also had to dig my heels in and insist on doing A level Physics when Mr Yarnell said I would never pass.  I passed and when I teach physics I think "Mr Yarnell: gotya!"  They wanted all of us to apply for teacher training.  The week they made us do in a junior school put me off teaching so I refused and did my own applications to Polytechnics in addition to the UCAS forms.  I got a place at Cardiff University but turned it down because my interview at a Polytechnic went so well I took the place there.  The guy who interviewed me was interested in what I wanted from them and what my ambitions were.  I never told Mr Williams about the place at Cardiff.  He would have tried to talk me into going there (snob value) and I decided that it was none of his business.  My time at the Polytechnic was brilliant.  Happiness comes first.  Reading through this post it sounds very anti-establishment!  My dad did a great job teaching me to question things, argue and think for myself.  All credit to him!

• Upvote 7

I had a great time at Mundella GS, the social side was fantastic but I didn't do too well academically. No-one actually seemed to care, when I look back, it certainly wasn't a challenging or nurturing environment. No feeling for me, of being in a place of excellence. I left after A Levels and went into work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone, like FLY, I always believed it was a great start in life. I was successful in my career and managed to get a BSc later on from the OU. 

My wife went to a Secondary and left at the age of fifteen. Despite being very bright, she's always bitterly resented the lack of education she received from disinterested teachers and the fact that, the girls at least, were regarded as factory-fodder. She refused the advice of a factory job from the 'careers teacher' and went on to hold positions of authority. 

In contrast, my two sons also went to the local Secondary and then on to University. Perhaps the fact the school was Ofsted rated Outstanding had some bearing.

Much of it seems to be down to luck and it's a shame when kids with talent are let down by a lousy system, both then and now. At the end of the day though, it does come down to the individual. Those with the will to succeed will often prevail against the odds.

• Upvote 6

There is a class maximum in Hannah's final year.Monthly reports and progress sheets.

All this said I am still paying for two additional tutors to come over and teach maths and French.

The kids see me coming in dirty,tired and tetchy.

Certainly lots to chew on in this thread.

Some mention of 'career advice'.  I think the situation was pretty uneven across the country and as far as I can recall Nottm, didn't take up the 'permissive powers' to start their own service within the Education Dept until the 'permission' became an obligation for all LEAs in 1972.  I covered much of this stuff at length in another thread called, I think 'What Jobs Have We Done?'  I can say 'hand on heart' that in 30 years as a careers adviser from 1985, I never treated a singly young person the way some here and I myself were treated by so called 'careers teachers/advisers' way back.

O and A levels were introduced in 1951, replacing the School Certificate/Higher School Certificate.  I sat seven, having dropped History and passed all but Maths.  I missed something very early on regarding Maths and never caught up, though my general numeracy is fine.  I didn't go to uni for another 15 or so years but like someone above (Shirley?) I refused a place at Liverpool Uni and went to Manchester Poly.

I was chuffed to be offered a place at HP and I enjoyed most of my time there.  I 'bought into' the history and 'status' of the school.  I wasn't a brilliant student and it all rather fell apart in the last year due to home issues, but I got six O levels.  Of course, chasing my dream of being a famous scientist but with lousy maths was never going to work.  A decent careers adviser might have convinced me it was worth looking at my languages and cobbling together a decent set of non science A levels. English, French and 'summat else'. maybe.  I'd probably have resisted, but in retrospect it would have been nice to be asked.

Not wishing to start a 'political' debate, but I reckon the current push for more grammar schools is a very different animal to the old days.  Present grammar schools do their own selection.  Back in my day the selection was done by the 11+.  It was a very flawed system, but at least the flaws were applied to everyone.  They aren't under the current model.

I would now much prefer to see the comprehensive system properly managed and funded so that everyone is educated the same way but everyone also has the chance to shine in their own way. This is what I've witnessed in good comprehensives for 30 years.

Col 

• Upvote 1

#55 You are making a very important point about having a properly managed comprehensive system DJ360.  With the current academy system and competition between schools to "drive up standards" children who change school during year 11 or who have a long period of absence can find it difficult to be accepted at an academy.  Headteachers refuse to admit them because it will lower their results statistics if the child does not do well in the exams.  Local authorities then end up finding home tutors.  This is tragic.  The children need to be in school interacting with classmates and teachers.  There is more to education than cramming heads with facts to pass exams and wearing expensive blazers.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Catfan (#43) when he says that  "The NCB also offered one of the finest apprenticeship schemes possible. Ask any ex NCB tech." I went through most of an NCB electrician's apprenticeship and only left because I had a young family to support and couldn't do it on apprentice pay. I joined the RAF, where my wages were more than doubled instantly and took the opportunity to complete my technician papers there.

Chulla #33:

The School certificate, introduced in 1918 was superseded by the GCE O level in 1951.  The CSE syllabus was introduced in 1963 for the first examination in 1965.

• Upvote 1