Soon be Goose Fair........

I remember the SKID but it was called the WHIP  in my day.  Did someone decide that was an inappropriate name, I wonder?

One day a long while ago I told my boss to "Stuff" his job & walked out. As a fifteen year old at the time I found it hard to settle anywhere. On my way home to St Anns I walked across the Forest Rec & Goose Fair was getting ready to open on the Thursday lunchtime.

Hey lad, do you want a job a bloke asked ? And why not I thought ! So that was it a job on the fair for the duration !  I was working on the Dodgems, owned by a bloke called I think Arthur Cox. Not easy work either, but I was determined to be as good as anyone else, what I do remember was how time flew when you are busy.

We worked through Saturday night to dismantle the ride & then we all got paid, me getting the same pay as the men, you did the same work lad, you get the same pay ! I was even offered a permanent job travelling with the fair but the "Old Woman" wouldn't have it !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose the modern fairground is all about scaring the poop out of you, whilst charging the Earth for the privilege.

thumbsdown

39 minutes ago, Compo said:

I suppose the modern fairground is all about scaring the poop out of you, whilst charging the Earth for the privilege.

thumbsdown

A bit unfair when you consider a modern giant wheel costs between 1.5 and 2.5 million quid and a pendulum ride costs up to  £1,000,000 !!

2 hours ago, roger peatman said:

A bit unfair when you consider a modern giant wheel costs between 1.5 and 2.5 million quid and a pendulum ride costs up to  £1,000,000 !!

The operators (we all know who they are!) will soon recoup that outlay.  

• Upvote 1

Goose Fair

It's always the first Thursday in Oct. From where we lived in St Ann's you could walk to the fair, at the time  we were teenagers  we would walk down to the fair every night, no not for the rides just to see what boys were around.  Love the noise, crowds, fortune teller's. Miss the side shows, and the 2 big swing boats, the cakewalk, and the fair chap who used to jump on the  waltzer's  and swing the car round till you were dizzy. When setting the date for our wedding it had to be Goose Fair Saturday. Getting older saw a young girl fall all the way down the steps off one of the swing boats, this made up my mind never to go on the swing boats again, hen night at the fair sister in law was riding at the top of the  big wheel  with me ohhh!!! I feel sick she said as she put her head over the side, I felt sorry for who ever was at the bottom of the big  wheel. Now try the cake walk, when you have had a few (drinks) you really would enjoy it.

We must not forget the coconut shy.

"ROLL UP" "ROLL UP" just a tanner will get you a coconut.

Always wanted to see the fair open the only time that I had the chance was when I had my own children in prams. so here we go, 

"I am the Mayor who opens the Fair for Three Day's and Three Days only"

How times change.

• Like 3

Hope to see you at the meet up MargieH

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been on the fair at least once every year of my life so this year was my 63rd year. My mum loved the fair and took me in the pram as a baby, pushchair as a toddler and under my own steam ever since. I almost missed one year when I was ill but rode my motorbike there and had a quick visit. I had a mild panic this year when I realised I would be away goose fair week on holiday but being open Sunday saved me so I went. No one else wanted to go with me so I did a Billy no mates and went alone. Certainly doesn't hold the magic it used to for me but I'll keep going while I can. No mud as there's lots of walkways down. 

• Like 3

My auntie Emily who lived in Garden Street always went to watch the opening of Goose Fair on the Thursday. I think it was something she used to do before it moved to the forest. The rides didn't interest her at all but she always bought packets of brandysnap. Didn't like it until it had gone soft as the ginger didn't seem as pungent then.