Multiple Word Meanings

I think you'll find Ian, that English is taught as a second language virtually throughout the whole of Europe. 

Plus of course most popular music is sung in English. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere I have read a complete story that included words with multiple meanings but have to do with this for the moment , that appears on various websites .   The bandage was wound around

Teaching about food chains to a year 9 class (13-14 years old) I gave them an example that contained a Thrush.  One lad argued that it was wrong because thrush was a disease!  I explained the differen

At least you chose a thrush to be part of the food chain and not a tit.  That would have caused the class to erupt!

Oh no I got taught and taut mixed up .....think I also got my terminology wrong too . Taut and taught are homophones ...

"I did not object to the object" is a homonym .

Homophones:  Two (or more) words that sound the same, but have different spellings

Homonyms:  Two (or more) words that are spelled the same & sound the same, but have different meanings.

Heterophones:  Two (or more) words with the same spelling, but different sounds and different meanings.

Sounds a mite 'queer' to me that does David.

Theres another.... Mite..... Irritating little bug, small part, tiny child, old English coin. Crikey, this's endless ! 

• Upvote 1

As Ian says about foreigners learning English as their 2nd language.....my daughter in law in the Netherlands sent us a video of our grandaughter in class this morning . It's her 6th birthday and the custom is if its your birthday you have to stand on a chair whilst the rest of the class sing "Happy birthday" to you . They sing it in English ! OK there aren't that many lyrics in the song but these are 5 and 6 year old kids . We asked if it was because Mae was half English but its done like that for everyone .

David, please pay attention, I mentioned about Europeans learning English as their second language, but I'm not offended. LOL

Right, today's offerings.

Kid...... To lie to or cheat, a child, a baby goat.

Mind...... A warning to be careful, an idea in your head.

Bar..... As in pub, a restriction, or a strip of metal.

Post....... A wooden support for a fence, Mail, to reply to an online topic, a past event. 

Oh no sorry Fly wrong attribution . A "slip" up ....must not slip over when I top up my tea which is on top of the work top ! 

• Upvote 1

Slip..... Slide on ice, an undergarment for a lady, a word spoken involuntary as in a slip of the tongue. Also a slope down to the sea to launch a dinghy, and a small note or docket.

God, I'm getting boring now. No comment you cheeky devils !

Nice on Dave.

Nice..... A beautiful city in the South of France, a sweet biscuit with sugar on, a compliment when a female or anything else is attractive, ....ZZZZZZZZ 

Two more belters to flummox the foreigners. 

Tip...... Of an iceberg, or gratuity, refuse dump, good advice (possibly) topple over, cigarette filter.......

Mine, ....... Of information, coal mine, possession of an item, land or sea mine. ...... Anyone bored yet? Sorry ! 

Might have been easier to list words that DON'T have a double meaning :)

You could be right there David. It just shows what an interesting and varied language we have. Brilliant.

Today's starter.... DEAL,..... Type of timber, an agreement and to distribute cards. 

Train..... In the gym, railway, to teach, flowing material behind a wedding dress. 

Nut(s)

Nut as in almond

Nut as in nut and bolt

Nut as in crazy person

Nut as in the head

Nut as in the small piece of material at the head end of a stringed instrument that separates the strings

Nut as in an enthusiast i.e. a train nut

Nuts as in testicles

Good ones Oz. How about SPRING. A season, a gadget for cars, beds and a multitude of other uses, and to spring a surprise on someone.

Spirit..... An alcoholic drinks, an apparition of sorts, evil spirits, white spirit as a paint brush cleanser. To spirit something away or mislay it. Spirt level for bricklaying etc.

Clock....... Timepiece, espy something and to thump someone.

CUT..... A golfing term, to cut oneself, a colloquial term for a glade or dell, a neat suit, a naval term regarding rigging, grading something, as in A cut above etc.

POT....... Receptical for a plant, dope, sink a snooker ball.