Multiple Word Meanings

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere I have read a complete story that included words with multiple meanings but have to do with this for the moment , that appears on various websites .   The bandage was wound around

Teaching about food chains to a year 9 class (13-14 years old) I gave them an example that contained a Thrush.  One lad argued that it was wrong because thrush was a disease!  I explained the differen

At least you chose a thrush to be part of the food chain and not a tit.  That would have caused the class to erupt!

BELT...... strap for holding up your trousers, to bash someone, a strip of land such as the Bible Belt. To move fast as in belt down the road. 

FLY...... To be airborne, an insect, to rush, to be a bit sharp and caddish...... Oh, and that nice chap on NS. LOL

• Upvote 1

Just remembered... Fly Tipping, although for the life of me I can't imagine where that term originated from.

Unless you dump stuff and then fly as in scarper. 

FIT..... As in physically, also stunningly attractive, an epileptic spasm, a perfect fit as in a suit. Also as in the last piece of a jigsaw.

LIFT........ An elevator, to thumb a lift, to lift an item, a tonic that gives a lift to the system. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mmm a bit off topic but I’d not been to this topic before but when I saw the posts- click, my mind went back to my railway days and a particular night shift where we were able to have nearly an hour’s ‘snap time’ in the comfort of the shunters cabin. Our guard was a newly arrived Pakistani who was finding ‘English’ difficult due to a lot of these dual meaning words, the first night was quite a laugh  explaining some words he had written down! The 2nd. night the shunter dictated this passage from a newspaper cutting he brought with him saying that a Professor had tried this on 7 colleagues & had 7 different results.

“A pedlar & a cobbler sat beside the roadside listening to a peal of church bells whilst eating a meal of the pairings of peeled pears and gazing with unparalleled ecstasy at the symmetry of a ladies ankle as she pedalled past the cemetery.” This is ‘as printed’, I made 2 errors, the guard was ‘lost’ but my driver, a crossword addict, was 100% but said the Professor had a word wrong and on being told we agreed with him, do you think so?

Post as in mail. The past. Fence post.

A type of folk song too Rog.

• Upvote 1

you could also say going round to a friends house even if the route is a straight line,or going round town

Rog

• Upvote 1

Line, clothes, queue,  railway, telephone, a point of view / opinion. 

Flannel..... A type of material, a soggy thing on the sink my mother wiped my face with, and a flattering compliment or bull5hit.