Multiple Word Meanings

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere I have read a complete story that included words with multiple meanings but have to do with this for the moment , that appears on various websites .   The bandage was wound around

Teaching about food chains to a year 9 class (13-14 years old) I gave them an example that contained a Thrush.  One lad argued that it was wrong because thrush was a disease!  I explained the differen

At least you chose a thrush to be part of the food chain and not a tit.  That would have caused the class to erupt!

BALL...... A round thing for playing games, a posh dance gathering, and several slightly derogatory meanings with smutty connotations. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rake.... A caddish person, a garden implement, and a train of railway coaches. 

Set.... As in concrete or jelly. Film set, train set, set seeds, perm women's hair, set as in the playlist of a group, a period of a game of tennis. Set a course for a ship, and no doubt many more.

Jam, a fruit preserve, a get together of various musicians, traffic jam, a bit of good fortune, 

Bit..... Metal piece of a horses harness, bit as in bit my tongue, drill bit, a small piece of anything as in wood, three penny bit.

• 5 weeks later...

Wake..... A party after a funeral. To wake up from a sleep. The aftermath of events. A local fair or festival, and following in a ships wake. 

Sole..... Dover Sole, a fish. Sole of a shoe, and sole (personal) responsibility etc. 

Stroke..... Heart attack, caress, at the third stroke, two stroke oil etc

Sound....... Something audible, sound advice, sound as in fit, and a stretch of water between two islands or pieces of land.

Also Dave, a short period of time, as in 'I'll be there in a tick'

Cut..... A cut finger, cut the cake, a golfing term, a share or portion, a colloquial term for a ditch , a directors cut in a film, cur adrift, cut your losses, cut off power, etc

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Mole, a tiny blemish or birth mark. A small furry burrowing animal. An 'in house' spy, or whistleblower. Mole grips, a tool for gripping things where a spanner wouldn't be suitable.

• 6 months later...

SNAP. To break something, a cold spell of frosty weather, a photo, a card game, slang term for food. 

DUCK...............as in duck down.........a bird........and last but best........ey-up Duck..........

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

POUND..... A unit of currency. An enclosure for stray dogs. To beat with your fist.