I wish I hadn't chucked it out!

If something is broken it needs to be disposed of but sometimes we chuck out things and regret it.  I can think of a number of times when we have done this.

My first example:

After I left home my mum asked me to go through a cupboard and decide which books and papers I still needed and what could be binned.  I did this, no problem.  In the pile was a BGS "general work book" that went straight in the bin.  A couple of years later I decided to make a Christmas cake.  In the third form we used a great recipe for Christmas cake and I made mine in the hexagonal cake tin that belonged to my grandmother (I still have the tin) and it was good.  I could not find the recipe and then remembered that it was in the "general work book" that I binned!  I found another recipe and used that one.  The cake itself was not so good as the BGS one.   The one saving grace was that we did not have any brandy to add to the cake after cooking.  Too expensive!  I looked in the cupboard and found a bottle of vodka.  I used that instead.  Wow, what a cake!

A second regret was a coral necklace.  Mum was moving house and downsizing.  She was going through things and binning stuff.  She found a coral necklace that needed re-threading.  We binned it.  A few months later there was one exactly like it (but correctly threaded) in an antique shop priced at £80!  Gutted!

• Upvote 1

Not exactly chucked out but I did sell our split screen old VW Camper for £100 . God knows what it would be worth today . Mind you it was the only vehicle I have ever made a profit on ! Paid £80 for it ! 

• Upvote 1

Problem I have is that I hate to chuck out stuff that was once quite valuable and worked well.  I have mentioned my old Canon Ftb camera before.  A great camera, but who uses 'em these days?   Also a Canon Super 8 movie camera great in its day.  I guess I am fooling myself if I think they will ever become valuable collectors items.  I think I'm probably due for the hoarder's course.  Just seems criminal to chuck such good stuff that still works if you can get film for it.

• Upvote 1

I was looking in the loft recently  for a lovely print I'd got of the Flying Scotsman steam train in LNER livery. 

I was intending getting it framed by the brilliant chap on Mapperley Top.

Id searched high and low , then painfully remembered that when I left my ex and took the bare minimum, she had a ceremonial bonfire on the garden. Oh well ! 

Loppy, I think an eBay auction could see your cameras going to good homes. There are still a lot of people who love old film cameras and who delight in exploiting the characteristics of old film formulae to get interesting results.

I hate clutter, but also collect old records and books. I have constant battles with Mrs Col over what is worth keeping.  She tends to want to keep everything.

I tend to keep stuff which has potential future value.

Obviously stuff which has real sentimental value such as heirlooms, photos et. al. should be kept.

I am a bit of a hoarder and when I left my parents house I left my Hornby three rail train set in the loft for safe keeping, along with a very nice 1930s wireless receiving set.  when I finally settled and had a permanent house I got around to asking for it back - only to be told that they had been binned as rubbish some time before.  Both would have been worth lots of money now.

I also had an original Star Wars model, still in its sealed box and in perfect condition.  Lost that to a jumble sale thanks to my then ex-wife who was going through the process of binning everything of mine during a divorce.  Why do folk do such things?

Man landed on the moon...I bought every single paper...rolled 'em up in brown paper and put them in the attic for my future Grandkids. Some years later Mother told me she had thrown out some old newspapers along with other 'Clutter' ie all my  school books and hundreds of photographs...

THANKS MOTHER!  :Fool:

Oh dear what a shame pooh ear. Those are things that you cant replace. 

A few years ago I bought a very delicate necklace here in italy whilst on holiday. It was a transparant chain with a tiny diamond so worn it looked like a piercing. I had so many compliments for it that when my son was visiting his girlfriend I asked him to bring a few back. 

He did in small white packet which I promptly tucked away on the mantlepiece ? Afew days later I couldnt find them and weeks after I recalled throwing the small white bag away. It was so light that I never even remembered the necklaces ....all 6 of them. Sigh:(

Mothers definitely have a lot to answer for poohbear . I'd kept every single notebook and Ian Allen trainspotters books, and when I first left home aged 19, I kept them all in tin chest in the loft .

On returning home a few months later, I was told that she'd thrown them all out as being useless and worthless.

Little did we know that information like that would be invaluable these days. 

I wish I hadn't decided to get rid of my old fridge freezer,but I did and got a posh American style one...it was purchased last April and has been a nightmare.So it is being collected next week and they say I will get a full refund.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

In the 70s I was a dedicated follower of fashion; sadly no photo's but just use your imagination. The decade of long flowing hair, mini skirts and platform shoes. I treated myself to some sage green knee high three inch platform boots, the heels were probably about 5/6inches. Surprisingly comfortable and easy to walk on. To accompany those, I has a sage green suede fitted thigh length jacket with a massive sage green lambswool collar.

What a sight! Our local band 'Slade' would have been proud of me. I kept them for years, tried to give them away to no avail, so I binned them. I have always regretted doing that, even if just for the fun value we could have had with them today. 

• Upvote 1

That sounds a lovely outfit Carnie.

There was an outfit that I bought from C & A,I thought it was wonderful,a trouser suit,black with loads of flowers on in red,blue,yellow,green,purple.Flared trousers.I think it was about 1970. 

The fabric was lovely quality.,my hair was down to my bum with big heavy fringe.There is a photo but unfortunately my sister has most of my photos and she hasn't spoken to me for years.

• Upvote 1

Always lots of 'Sports Jackets' in charity shops...........don't think many blokes wear them now..........i have 3 really nice ones.......just can't throw em out............hoping they come back in fashion.......think would stand out too much now........with me Silk Hanky and Tie especially.........

• Upvote 1

I had some wonderful 1970s clothes, including a silver lame, halter neck cat suit. Around 1975/6, we'd dance the night away at Tiffany's or Isabella's in Nottingham. I was a size 8 in those days and we all loved dressing up in stylish outfits. Tragedy almost struck one night at Isabella's when I went to the loo and the zip broke on the cat suit! Fortunately, a friend managed to mend it!  Still got some of those pieces but can't get into them!  :(

• Upvote 2

crankypig, your outfit sounds very Psychedelic, I loved the trouser suits when they came in. My favourite one was a green paisley all in one, a bit awkward when I needed  the powder room in a hurry :Shock:. The only photo I have of it, my sister is wearing it for a wedding. The other one was bright red, it always reminded me of a boiler suit, not as Psychedelic as the green one.  I have a group photo of a few of us at the 'Bier Keller' Nottm.in the 70s, SueB48 is on the photo and my husband who was the only man among a group of about ten women. He was our taxi driver that night.:biggrin:

Eeeh Ladies them were days..........Silver Lama and Halter neck Psychedelic Cat Suits,......great gear in the 70s........such memories.........wife at the time Launching my Suits and Sports Jackets out of front bedroom window...........and me in back bedroom doing same with her Red Catsuit and thigh length boots..................lol.

• Upvote 2

I missed out on all the 70s fashion as I was bringing up our 3 children and money was tight.  Love reading about all you youngsters, though!

• Upvote 2

Jill,...........see the film ''War of the Roses''.....Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.......that was us,but no Chandelier at the end.........lol.

• Upvote 1