Too much food and drink

For a long time the only growth industry in the city centre has been coffee places and restaurants; no real shops. Saturation point seems to have been reached.

Costa are closing their place on Lister Gate - it's only been there for a couple of years and is surrounded by other similar places. And in the newly refurbished Vic Centre, one of the new eating places near the Clock Tower - Joe's Kitchen - has closed after about 6 months.

I'm not surprised at all with this closure. Sky high council rates & the rip-off prices they have to charge also just too many coffee shops in the city, competing for customers.

On a visit to the QMC today it cost me nearly a fiver for one cup of tea & one coffee,in the Costa place, welcome to rip-off britain at it's best.

Go to any Wetherspoons & a tea & a coffe will cost just over two quid. I rest my case.

• Upvote 1

Yes I noticed that the simple things in life like tea and coffee cost in UK. Other things in comparison cost little.

Here coffee cost €1.00 or €1.10 . cappuccino and croissant costs € 2.20 

Cheaper than wetherspoons

• Upvote 1

FWIW. I think we are all seeing, in each of our respective countries some of the fallout from so called globalization.  Many of the good jobs have gone overseas to cheaper labor areas.  The old and good stores have gone out of business because they cannot compete with the cheap goods from China being sold by the pound/dollar stores and some of the places are being filled with fast food places.  These are low wage/benefit jobs which probably would not provide a decent living to the average guy so his wife has to work and then pay for day care for their kids. Too many fast food stores = quite a few going out of business and so it goes.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 20th century.  It looks bleak.

• Upvote 3

Geezers aint they Catfan.................thought it was you HG..........Just leaving as I got there............lol.

• Upvote 3

#7.    I agree entirely Dave, then I read today that this clown wants smaller portions to combat obesity !

edit to add.              & the cafe's etc will love that, smaller portions but the same price as before.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3815160/Restaurants-just-desserts-war-obesity.html

I don't think you need worry about offense, Mike.  We are all affected by these economic shifts to a greater or lesser degree.  I think a lot of us here are retired but we are all affected anyway.  I agree that more stores restaurants etc equals greater competition, but the community can only support so many so some will close.  That's tough on those who work there.

• Upvote 1

I like the competition in the amount of coffee shops that there are, but I prefer a more intimate type of 'tea rooms'.

I can't be doing with the incessant banging of the coffee bean thingy that  removes the spent powder. Surely there's another way. 

I was in Costas at Waterstones yesterday, and the noise was interminable. Background noise pollution, I hate it.

My Cappuccino was nice though. Never have chocolate sprinkles on it though. If I want chocolate, I have one with squirty cream, but no marshmallows at any price. Why do folks insist on complicating things? 

One of the cafes that we always use where ever we are; will be a "Marks and Spencers" if they have one. Their toasted teacakes or scones are delicious, and a good strong cup of tea guaranteed.

Something we have discovered is that since both giving up sugar/sweeteners a couple of years ago, we have drifted into enjoying our tea quite strong.

Only problem is, for some reason the cafes are very noisy, not staff shouting to each other as was catfans experience in Costa, but patrons chatting and general clattering of utensils/ hissing of boiling water or coffee making machines. Every noise seems to echo and the whole lot put together can be a bit overwhelming.

The good cup of tea always draws us back in though.

• Upvote 1

Yes Carni, the background noises are absolutely infuriating, especially kids. It's the crockery and utensils as you say really pee me of. 

Another irritating thing is when the staff bring my food and drink, they don't clear any adjacent tables. Surely it's easier to take used stuff back rather than have to be told to come out again and clear some tables. Mind numbing! 

• Upvote 1

I love going into a cafe or bar (here) for a coffee or breakfast but theres one thing I cant stand is costa or any other passing their cappuccino for a cappuccino. Whenever I go to my mums I always go into the cafes at the airport. I was forever disappointed with their coffees, then I discovered "flat white"

whyever they called it that I'll never know but that is a cappuccino or the nearest thing. I found that what their interpretation of a cappuccino was very watery wherever I went. So I watched closely at what others were ordering and even how they make it. Now for me its always flat white as its the next best thing to a true italian cappuccino. By the way I never have cocoa sprinkled on the top either it spoils the taste, I think.

• Upvote 1

I've had a flat white many times nonnaB and its most enjoyable. 

If ever I get cocoa on top, I always remove it with my teaspoon and eat it before I have my drink.

What a fussy bunch of beggars we are !

• Upvote 2

I'm with you on the noise in Costa and probably other places too . In our local one there is some machine that sounds like an underground train coming in !

The other thing is people scraping chairs on the floor . Goes through me . 'Spect its health and safety but would cost nothing to stick felt pads on the bottom of the chair legs !

I know they vary but Sainsburys caffs are good value . Pot of tea for a pound ! Mega brunch for a fiver...cheaper than 'spoons .The Sainsburys near Penzance probably has one of the best views of anywhere , overlooking Mounts Bay and St Michaels Mount with an outside balcony (if its not blowing a gale !)

• Upvote 2

Dragging chairs across the floor... Uggghhh ! That really grates on me.

iIt always reminds me of an episode of Dinnerladies where Eric Sykes advises them on chair placement. "Lift and place " he says.

Yes, , it really is that easy. 

• Upvote 1

Mrs C & I ventured into Morrisons in Cromer for lunch one day. Immaculately clean restaurant, no screaming kid, no noise & plenty of space. Quick service followed after ordering our snap, all tables spotlessly clean too.

Steak & Ale pie, mashed spuds, peas & gravy washed down with a cup of tea £5, plenty to eat & tasted great  couldn't fault it.

• Upvote 2

That sounds like a good deal to me ?

Did you visit Sherringham ? I love it there. Stayed in The Two Lifeboats for a few nights several years ago. Brilliant !

• Upvote 1

Getting ready to think what can I have for lunch(12.45 here) and that, Catfan would just fit the bill.

Ages since I had or made a steak 'n' ale pie. Now perhaps winters on its way it'll give me something to think about.

• Upvote 1

Yes I agree Fly, dragging chairs on floors grates me too. I have a constant supply of felt pads to put on my chair legs. Wood against tiles....not a nice sound.

Oh and have to change them regulary as my dog leaves a trail of fur everywhere she goes , so everytime the floor is washed out comes the pads. Otherwise its the fur stopping the noise instead of the pads.