Two weeks ago my friend's daughter's boyfriend commited suicide. WHY? I find it hard to under stand. They had just sold their house and were moving into a larger one, they had booked to go on holiday. The daughter had two boys from previous marriage who thought the world of the boyfriend.

What make's some one who has every thing to live for do this?

What you leave behind.

How do you tell the boys that the man who they think the world of that he has killed himself.

The daughter thought she was going to spend the rest of her life with some one she loved.

She is of cause wondering why and keeps trying to get her head around it, she is still in bits, my friend is trying very hard to help her daughter though this but what do you say or what can you do?

It not only effects your own family but also your friend's feel for you as they do not know what to say or how to help you.

What a terrible thing to have happened, Mary. I feel so sorry for all those concerned. Unfortunately, we cannot see inside other people's heads or know what is going on in their thoughts. We can't know their fears if they don't share them with others and I think people these days hide such a lot. The world we live in and the lifestyle so many adopt is putting intolerable pressure on people, especially the young. Every day, the news carries reports on young people suffering from depression and mental issues which are not being treated or taken seriously. So many these days come from fractured family backgrounds which have undermined their sense of self worth and stability which makes it difficult for them to withstand the pressures of life in the 21st century.

I'm afraid I don't have any answers. I believe such things may be a kind of test in a way we do not understand. 

I do hope that all concerned can find the help and compassion they need to come to terms with such a tragedy and eventually move on with their lives.

I echo everything that Jill says. We cannot pretend to know what goes through some people's minds. If only they could hang-on, tough it out and get through it. Easier said than done, I fear.

Mary, I feel so sad reading of your friend's situation.   As Jill said, there is a lot of pressure today for many of the younger generation to have a certain lifestyle, which may not be achievable.  All you can do is keep supporting your friend, so she in turn can be strong for her daughter and grandchildren.  

50 years ago, my best friend's partner killed himself leaving 2 very young children, so I can really feel for you in this situation. 

So sad I also repeat other posts, what else can you say.

Last year my step sisters daughter committed suicide. She was diagnosed as a child as being bi- polar. She was under medication and lived alone. She had apparently been saving her medication and other meds. Her parents knew that she'd attempted suicide in the past. I can't get my head round the fact that she wasn 't kept more under control, but thats me. It made me so angry. Last time I saw her was about 2/3 years ago and we spent the whole of the journey of 1/2 hr with her telling me that she was depressed. A signal to her mother who kept saying don't worry.?

I feel for your friend and her family.

I do get dismayed nowadays thinking how life has changed so much since my teen years, I really do sympathise with young people looking for work. When we were in our teens we had a lot of things so easy & we took for granted, but these days life can be extremely tough.

We may never know what was going through this young man's mind or what pressures he was facing for him to end his life, such a tragedy.

Echo everything that has already been said. There is so much pressure on this generation to be something that they're not, mostly down to social media and celebrities etc. Some people can't hack the pressure of everyday life unfortunately. We never really know what's going on inside someone else's mind. My sister suffers from borderline personality disorder and has been on suicide watch previously. She is now on medication and getting better by the day thank God, it's just a shame some people never get the help they need in time. Thoughts are with you, you friend and their family. 

• Upvote 3

So very sad to read to read Marys post. We also have known two people who have sadly left this life in this way. No outward signs of depression. This is why we can't help, before it gets to such a desperate state. Our public face can hide our innermost feelings and can fool everyone into thinking things are OK. Always so very sad, and the families left behind to wonder why for the rest of their lives.

• Upvote 1

Comfort words from all of you. Will pass comments on to my friend. Thanks again to all at nostalgia.

• Upvote 1