Who or what was Brasso

I don't mean the stuff you clean your brass with. Let me explain. I have a large box of letters that were written by my Grandfather to his wife in WW1. I am in the process of transcribing these. One dated in late 1916 he talks of his son, my dad who was apparently a bit of a terror. My grandfather makes the comment perhaps we should rename him, Brasso the second. I think that 'Brasso' may have been some character of the day, maybe a comic strip or similar. Does anyone have any suggestions. 

Thanks.

In the 20s and 30s there was a circus clown called Toto Brasso who may have been Danish . He would probably have been too young for your WW1 letters but maybe there was a family of Brasso clowns ?? Dunno ! 

Toto Brasso . Sounds more Italian to me. Toto is short for Antonio. Brasso could be Basso or Bresso. Will ask around if there was once a clown with that name.

I admit it sounds Italian but a few sites say he was Danish ....here's a pic.....our coal man used to look like that :) 

From a 1930s newspaper about a Bertram Mills circus " Then you have Coco, another of Mills’ clowns, speaking five languages besides his own Lithuanian. Toto Brasso, another clown, was born in dressing room at the Paris Cirque Modrano. He first appeared as a clown at the age of three . His father and grandfather were clowns"

https://www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collectables/postcards/entertainment-circus/circus-famous-danish-clown-toto-brasso-old-photo-pc-12319-83228814.html

• Upvote 1