A whole new world of lauguage on FB too. Overheard young womanon the bus saying that she would "Inbox" someone, sounds painful to me.

Why oh why do some on FB broadcast to all &sundry that they are off on their jollies ? That's all well & good but it's the same as telling every scumbag your house is OK to be burgled !

Some people will nnever learn.

• Like 1

Not sure it just goes just for Hoildays one of Mrs Reds mates posts hourly updates where she is & what she is doing, if I was going to spring her patio door, or smash through her flat roof, or just use that Yale key she leaves under the largest white rock in the front garden, I would just check her Facebook to see how long I'd got to get in & out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 10/16/2016 at 8:15 AM, Bubblewrap said:

Has anybody come across this facebook page

"Nottingham way back when"

Some interesting stuff & comments

I'm not on Facebook, but I'm being told "Nottingham Way Back When" "Radfordtonians Friends Past, Friends Present" & "F.E.C. - Forest Executive Crew" have been taken over by my old fellow? Anyone know how to view without joining? 

Got to agree that the site you were originally discussing 'owners' are way up their own posteriors !  I posted some of my old stuff on there only to be told that they were the only ones allowed to do so.......................... A couple of weeks later, lo and behold, he's lifting stuff off of my photobucket page and posting it as his own!..........   The first time he did it I pointed out that just an acknowledgement would be suffice, only to be ignored, he did it again (Even being that thick as to leave a direct link to my PB page open!!) I did get a thank you this time and so far he's not tried it again!!

• Like 1

I gave up looking at 'Way Back When' a while ago. Too much too often, with a lot of comments which don't really say anything, and which often repeat themselves because people don't look at earlier posts.

And I've seen things I've posted in other places turn up on there. They must spend all day trawling the net for material.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

This is exactly the same.  Several new topics when existing ones exist, and a deluge of repeated quotes.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

.....with a lot of comments which don't really say anything, and which often repeat themselves because people don't look at earlier posts.

Must admit that is annoying ......a recent example , earlier this week , was when a 1919 photo of a lady riding a motorised scooter was posted on NWBW .

Its appeared on other sites so I knew the pic was taken in London but dozens of posters insisted it was taken in various streets of Nottingham , despite at least 3 different posters saying who it was and that it was a London photo . 

The admin just seem interested in volume of pictures posted , they ask for info on pics and then when you give answers rarely get a thanks .....they've moved on . 

• Upvote 3

DavidW, CliffTon and Enigma, I have noticed stuff on NWBW that I know you three have found and posted on Nottstalgia.  That’s the problem with the internet though, somebody gets a subject, person or place in their head, has a bit of a google and links come up, including photos, that are then snatched and the wrong person gets the glory for the astonishing find.   I have one or two treasures that I will never post on here as I want to keep them for myself and my family, not for the World to see, even though they would be of great interest locally.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

There's also been a spate of photos used without the photographers / owners permission on here  over the last few years, which amounts to blatant plagiarism in some cases. 

• Upvote 2
38 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

DavidW, CliffTon and Enigma, I have noticed stuff on NWBW that I know you three have found and posted on Nottstalgia.  

In one way, I quite like seeing my stuff lifted and used in other places because it's almost like being famous. I've seen my things on various Facebook pages, but occasionally something will turn up in a more surprising place. Whenever I post something - anywhere - I always consider where it might also end up.

2 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

The admin just seem interested in volume of pictures posted , they ask for info on pics and then when you give answers rarely get a thanks .....they've moved on . 

When I looked there a few weeks ago, they were celebrating the fact they had 40,000 members.   I know they don't all post every day, but that's a potential for a hell of a lot of repeated comments and gibberish. I'm not going to trawl through it.

• Upvote 2

Maybe 40,000 members but if you spend time in giving an informative comment on one of the images , you are lucky if you get 3 "likes" in appreciation , as I'm sure Cliff Ton found.

Nottstalgia leads others follow.  Cliff Ton and others are correct that others forums copy photos from Nottstalgia, the " kind of loving " photo of a print that from Rob Rowland that I posted the other day has just appeared on FB site " the original spotted Bestwood"  strange ?

So all you posters who regularly post these are the leaders and made Nottstalgia the forum for others to follow.