I found that page irritating; after looking at it for a few days I decided it was pointless posting on it.

The guy who runs it adds and updates too much too often, so that anything posted has disappeared a along way down the list within a few hours. And a lot of his pictures are just thumbnails which are almost impossible to see.

I stick to this   https://www.facebook.com/nottinghamhiddenhistoryteam/     

and   https://www.facebook.com/nottinghamurbanhistory/?fref=ts

and   https://www.facebook.com/GhostSignsFromBygoneTimes/

and   https://www.facebook.com/Basford1st/timeline

ive noticed he posts photos from all over the internet and he doesnt care where he gets the images from and doesnt  credit anyone , even if the photos are copyrighted 

the way he goes on is that his group is the best thing since sliced bread and yes his constant posting is irritating and the group has no albums and the photos are in no set order and not labelled up so its a guessing game to where the photo has been took 

Pianoman, That's what I do as well with quite a few sites. Once you have seen enough, just move on to another one. I have built up quite a selection of sites for Nottm history, a lot have similar information and occasionally I turn up some thing new. 

Facebook has been great for me . I have learnt loads of history about our local area that I wouldn't otherwise have known . I subscribe to a number of local pages and help with info where possible . Enjoy the many car pages too .

As long as the page has good admin and sorts out the trolls its fine .

Of course there are "friends" that constantly post pictures of their meals or other trivia but its easy to ignore them . 

• Upvote 1

I'd never subscribe to it, but as several people have said. If used correctly, then it's ok. Just like most things in life. 

• Upvote 2

Facebook as well as any other forum types this one included are what you put into them and what you get out of them ,you have a choice use them or not.

• Upvote 1

Mrs Loppy uses FB as she has a lot of relatives on it.  I am just not interested. I get all the interaction I want from NS.  Simply don't have time for anymore.  To any that enjoy it I say enjoy!

• Upvote 2
  • 11 months later...

Hi All

My Good mate Paul and I set up Nottingham Way Back When two years ago on the Facebook site....our Hobby is Nottingham history, we both work full time and the group is actioned in our spare time......We enjoy finding old past photographs do not sell any photo's just share with our members, we now have 24,000 members, it is not an ego trip we enjoy sharing and do thank where we know our images are from, do not infringe copyright, all is open to all on the internet if you take the time to share, on NWBW people have found long lost family and we have so many members who enjoy the site, ex pats from around the globe, we have also had 3 meetings next 14th October .......

Just wanted to say where we are at not a moan we run a nice site Paul and Me..........Thanks......

• Like 2

i know quite a few Nottstalgia people who look at 'Way Back When' - and the other Facebook sites which cover various aspects of Nottingham. Include me in that list.

And we know there is a crossing of information and photos between the various FB sites and Nottstalgia. I’ve been on both ends of that scenario. 

The FB pages and groups win in terms of the number of people who view each post or image; if you want a big audience that’s where to go. Post something on those pages and it will be seen by hundreds or thousands of people; and there’s a good chance you will find - or be found by - someone you haven’t seen for 30 years. 

But they don’t have the Nottstalgia ability to create long discussions, or cover topics in any depth. You won’t get the cosy group feeling which can exist on NS. With some FB sites, you can make a post on a subject and within a couple of hours it’s gone so far down the list no-one will ever see it again (the big problem with Way Back When). Whereas on Nottstalgia a subject can stay around under discussion for a long time and come up with surprising details.   Liberty bodices come to mind.

There’s room for all the different ways of covering the subject. And many people have a foot on both sides.

The one really good thing about all of the Nottingham Facebook pages is there’s no bloody word games.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

This anti word game campaign is peeing me off. Chill out you lot ! 

If folks want to start FBing, then let others do what they want !

I hope the 'likes ' are for the first five paragraphs, and not the last line, which I very much hope was tongue in cheek. 

I have never given FB a moments thought, and fully agree that there is a cosiness and an intimacy on here that would be totally lost within FB.

There have been some brilliant topics lately, such as the Bobbers Mill one, and the Wentworth etc streets off Churchfield Lane. Amazing responses for such a small area. Which  although FB could produce more responses, the friendliness between members would have been swamped.

Long live NS ! ......... Yes, even with word games etc. LOL

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

i know quite a few Nottstalgia people who look at 'Way Back When' - and the other Facebook sites which cover various aspects of Nottingham. Include me in that list.

And we know there is a crossing of information and photos between the various FB sites and Nottstalgia. I’ve been on both ends of that scenario. 

The FB pages and groups win in terms of the number of people who view each post or image; if you want a big audience that’s where to go. Post something on those pages and it will be seen by hundreds or thousands of people; and there’s a good chance you will find - or be found by - someone you haven’t seen for 30 years. 

But they don’t have the Nottstalgia ability to create long discussions, or cover topics in any depth. You won’t get the cosy group feeling which can exist on NS. With some FB sites, you can make a post on a subject and within a couple of hours it’s gone so far down the list no-one will ever see it again (the big problem with Way Back When). Whereas on Nottstalgia a subject can stay around under discussion for a long time and come up with surprising details.   Liberty bodices come to mind.

There’s room for all the different ways of covering the subject. And many people have a foot on both sides.

The one really good thing about all of the Nottingham Facebook pages is there’s no bloody word games.

Just to say we have some long running threads that do stay longer that a few hours for instance the Greater Nottingham Co-operative photo when closed down this has been running for weeks hence not a problem, I do enjoy your site and enjoy a good read,

• Like 1