'Kitty'? GI's family search for Nottingham sweetheart

I am the nephew of the American GI Martin Teahan, and we have a very credible lead on who "Kitty" was, will keep everyone posted on developments

It sounds like an impossible quest, but the family of an American soldier killed on D-Day is trying to trace his Nottingham girlfriend, known only as 'Kitty'. Andy Smart tells the remarkable story.

Her name was Kitty, a Nottingham girl who captured the heart of a young American soldier as he prepared for war.

Irish-American Private Martin Teahan, of HQ Company, 1st Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment – part of the 82nd Airborne Division – from the tough South Bronx in New York, was one of the hundreds of GIs camped in Wollaton Park in the weeks before D-Day.

Click to read full story

https://goo.gl/3qZDW1

Video at Gravesite

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Jim Farrell and good luck with your research. I attended ballet class with the daughter of a GI when I was a child. Her mother had some stories to relate. She'd had a very tough experience in the USA and returned to the UK as a single parent.