In 1977, one of my colleagues got married and moved into a house on what was then known as the Middlebeck Estate in Arnold.

Several girls from the office were invited over for the evening and we went in a tiny Messerschmitt car belonging to Michaela, the only person who had a seat to herself as the driver. The six passengers, including me, were sandwiched like sardines in a tin.

When we reached the outskirts of the estate, which was still in the process of construction, we simply couldn't find our way in. The whole area was surrounded by a wooden pallisade type fence. It was dark and none of us knew the locality. We just drove round and round hoping we weren't spotted by a passing police car. I suspect we might have been in trouble if we'd been stopped!

We did eventually find the house but there were no street names up and we were in agony after crawling out of that car. A couple of hours later we all had to crawl back in again and find our way out of the Middlebeck Estate! You do some idiotic things when you're young!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely photo of the Isetta - our's was that pretty blue colour, too.  Here's a couple of photos of ours in 1965/6 Unfortunate that Paul sat on the front bar - looks very strange!!  

I thought Imps were great - but I would say that, wouldn't I?  

Mate of mine had one of them Bugs,went down to see Notts play one saturday in it,not much room to park near county hall so he pulls in this tight spot right upto the back of an artic trailer with the

34 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Several girls from the office were invited over for the evening and we went in a tiny Messerschmitt car belonging to Michaela, the only person who had a seat to herself as the driver. The six passengers, including me, were sandwiched like sardines in a tin.

Jill, whatever the car was that you were in, I can't believe it could have been a Messerschmitt; no way would you get 6 people in one. They were tandem seating, with the driver in the front and a passenger behind.

messerschmitt_zpsy86um5oa.jpg

Sorry CT, but it was and we did! Don't ask me how we did it. I remember being surprised at the time because although I knew they had made planes, I didn't know they made cars! We were all a lot thinner in those days!

29 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Sorry CT, but it was and we did! Don't ask me how we did it. I remember being surprised at the time because although I knew they had made planes, I didn't know they made cars! We were all a lot thinner in those days!

I'll believe you !   the occasion would've made an interesting photo.

I found this old advert, which tries to demonstrate that several people could get in one comfortably.  On this basis, a few more wouldn't have been too difficult.

messy2_zps9gqkepdp.jpg

You've all got me thinking now and I'm wondering whether the car was in fact a Heinkel as opposed to a Messerschmitt. I know the maker had also manufactured aircraft. For some reason, I seem to think the front opened as opposed to the top but it was so long ago and there were so many of us jammed in there, I reckon I was suffering from oxygen deprivation!

We were genuinely concerned about being stopped by the boys in blue because the driver couldn't see out of the rear windscreen and had someone virtually sitting on her lap.

We all thought it was hilarious at the time!

Whatever it was, Fiftiesboy, I can't believe we were daft enough to pile in there and endanger everyone's lives because we must have been an accident waiting to happen. Young and stupid...it's the only explanation! :wacko:

Maybe it was a Gogomobile, Jill.  Don't know who made them, but there was one that used to park on my girlfriend's street.  She wouldn't believe me when I told her thats what it was.  Had to take her over and show her the nameplate.  I know you always had to get in through the front of one of those things.  I always thought it was crazy.  If you hit something how do you get out?  Should have been called 'mousetraps.'

Below:  Messerschmitt with its top open

wj8leq.jpg

Below:   Heinkel  (were also Trojans)

2lnvi80.jpg

Below:   BMW Isetta

kebviw.jpg

Below:  Long wheelbase BMW Isetta

2e4dwms.jpg

Well what about Oppermann cars? Anybody know anything about them?

years ago we had friends down south called Oppermann. In their garage they had a bubble-type car called an Oppermann.  They said they were members of that family.  We believed 'em and not even thought about that til this thread appeared. 

One of my Telecom apprentices had a Meesserschmit all licensed and in full running order, but the front nearside wing/fender had rusted badly.

I completely made and reformed a new  repair panel  and welded it into position, he then had the repair professionally re painted (spray painting was not my forte at the time) worked out well, and when I revisited him several years ago in Collingham near Newark, he still has it and several VW dubs, and an old Massey tractor, he lives on a few acres now with his treasured collection.

• Upvote 1

# 16  Thanks chaps, yes that's the car.  It's so long ago I could only remember that it was a tiny little car and I had little interest at the time.

Just googled and see they were made in Borehamwood Hertfordshire so our old friends were probably related to the inventor as they lived  not far away in St Albans. 

We had an Isetta Bubble car around 1965.  It was a pretty blue colour and we regularly used it to travel between Leicester where we lived, and Nottingham, where my parents still lived.  We really nipped along the A46, keeping up with all the traffic easily.  We once went from Leicester to Crewe in it and it 'conked out ' somewhere along the way.  We pushed it to the top of a little hill in this town/village, then let it roll down with Paul having to run faster to get in front so he could leap in and get it started.  (The door was at the front and the steering wheel was attached to it, I think). It worked so we carried on without stopping again.  We used to often sing the 'Beep, beep' song.  Paul wishes he still had it -. It was a lovely little car...

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, MargieH said:

We used to often sing the 'Beep, beep' song. 

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that before in this thread.

I'd never heard this one before, but it has some interesting old photos to go with it.

• Upvote 1

The latter part of the beep beep song (when the music speeds up) is what I remember.  The video which has been put on with it is a bit rubbish, though!