• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely photo of the Isetta - our's was that pretty blue colour, too.  Here's a couple of photos of ours in 1965/6 Unfortunate that Paul sat on the front bar - looks very strange!!  

I thought Imps were great - but I would say that, wouldn't I?  

Mate of mine had one of them Bugs,went down to see Notts play one saturday in it,not much room to park near county hall so he pulls in this tight spot right upto the back of an artic trailer with the

I don't think reloading the app would harm your photos Margie.  They are saved in Photo-bucket's site so whatever device we try to access them with shouldn't really make any difference.  If in any doubt make sure you still have them on your computer so that you would not lose them permanently.

We could compare it to NS.  All your posts would still be here no matter what device you try to access them from.

Edited to add:  Before you do anything maybe just check within the app to see if there is anyway to just add upgrades if any are available.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Brew said:

I think you're talking about the Bond Bug from the '70s. Bright orange wedge shaped.

I mean the Bond minicar from the '50s. To start it you lift the bonnet and there is a motorcycle engine that had to be kick started.

I have a picture of each but I'm too stupid to figure out how to post them from PB or DB

the bond bug had a Hillman imp engine.

A few here for sale.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/64/bond+bug/

Two types of engine were fitted, type E 700cc & type S had a 750cc engine. Both were Reliant Robin engines !

Hillman Imp had a Coventry Climax engine, twin camshaft @ 875cc.

Imp engines were total crap, head gasket failure & water pump failure were common also clutch wore out rapidly, clutch plate too small diameter

http://www.imps4ever.info/tech/engine.html

The Hillman Imp was designed to compete against the hugely successful BMC Mini. After the Bubble Car era small "mini cars" where the new craze.

Apart from the imp's mechanical failings the biggest problem was where the petrol tank was put.

Just inside the front bonnet behind the front bumper ! Not good !

Imps, Incredible room by loading through the tailgate hatch and the rear seats folded flat.

Adjusting the valve clearances with the .001 thou graduated shims between the top hat and the valves was an absolute pain in the arris.

The linkage between the gear lever and the gear box needed tightening regularly else the gear lever became more like a pudding stirrer than a gear lever.

Had one for 10 years in OZ only had to replace one head gasket, an overheating problem due to a bearing failure on the fan.

When I sold it,  it still had the bag of cement in the boot at the front.

• Upvote 1

My SiL a beautiful dolly bird  had an Imp, as a 17 year old apprentice I got the job of replacing the rubber driveshaft coupling on a regular basis ! She liked to race away from traffic lights at a great rate of knots !

But how could I refuse her ?  ;)

Just asked Paul if we'd ever had a Hillman Imp (I can't remember all of them - we've had so many) and he said " yes, we had a white one and it had a rear engine with the petrol tank at the front.... not a good idea if you had a  crash!"

There was a teacher at Berridge when I was there in the 60s who had a Hillman Imp. Her name was Miss Stockhill. Some of the girls, including me, formed a country dancing group, led by Miss Stockhill. We went to several other schools to take part in competitions, kitted out in white dresses with tartan sashes. Yes, we all squashed into the Imp to get there and back. No seat belts either. Wouldn't be allowed today!  Great fun all the same!

If I remember correctly the imp engine was single OHC and it's true the head gaskets were made from chewing gum. the clutch was operated by a carbon type thrust bearing that needed changing with monotonous regularity. The drive shaft couplings were 'rubber doughnut' design and they too didn't last all that long. Changing them was a pain until you learned the trick of using jubilee clips and then they could be swapped in 20 minutes.. The heater was fed by pipes that ran front to back inside the sills and when filling with water needed the front of the car jacking up or it air locked and thus no heat reached the matrix.

Singer made a similar model called the Chamois,same as the imp but with a sloping roof to the rear

Rog

• Upvote 1

Just checked them Stiletto's out,nice looking motor for the day,I suppose they suffered the same problems as the Imp,thanks Mick

Rog

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Imp, Stiletto and Chamois were all the same car. Just badge engineering.

Not quite so.

Bodywork & trim were much different & tech specs slightly. The Chamois & Stilletto & Sport cost much more than the Imp.

• Upvote 1

Back windows had a different amount of slope and different amounts of trim as you say, but they were badge engineered in the same way as Austin/Morris/Wolseley/Riley

Useless bit of trivia and totally off topic..

One of the Imp variants was made in Paisley (Glasgow) but the body shell made in Coventry. The transporters were Commer two stroke artics and one of them holds the record for a speeding truck on the M6. The police cars of the day were Standard Vanguards who it was reported could not keep up with him so they timed him between two bridges.

Edit held the record, I don't know if it still stands but it was pre 70 limit.

Does anyone else remember the Berkeley T60 three wheeler, powered by an Excelsior 328cc twin? A colleague of mine in the early 60s had a blue convertible and I always thought it looked like someone had tried to manufacture a kiddies E type.

My mother had a Chamois in a rather disgusting shade of purply blue. As I recollect the handling was a bit iffy in a crosswind on the motorway. At that time my own car was a 1947 MG TC sports. Coincidently a nearby garage, Sherwood Restorations at Southwell, have got a 1948 TC for sale at £42,995. I think mine was around £150! 

I weep when I think of my Triumph TR3 that I sold for £40. They fetch well over £20k now.