• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely photo of the Isetta - our's was that pretty blue colour, too.  Here's a couple of photos of ours in 1965/6 Unfortunate that Paul sat on the front bar - looks very strange!!  

I thought Imps were great - but I would say that, wouldn't I?  

Mate of mine had one of them Bugs,went down to see Notts play one saturday in it,not much room to park near county hall so he pulls in this tight spot right upto the back of an artic trailer with the

Imp's & their variants were awful to drive, no weight on the front end & was usual practice to put a bag of sand in there to try & give it some stability, road holding was very suspect & the only safe way to drive one was the same as "Driving Miss Daisy" mode all the time.

I well remember a young wench driving a Chamois being killed on Carlton Hill early hours of a winter morning when she lost control & hit a lamp post, she was later recognised by by her dental records.The fuel tank ruptured on impact & you don't need me to go any further.

I remember in '67 ish the new price at Cripps on Parliament Street was £645 tax paid on the road for a bog standard Imp.!

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Sherwood Restorations sold one recently for - be prepared to weep  - £36,995!

How to ruin somebodies day in one easy lesson.............  

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

The Coupe versions of the Stilleto and Chamois, Californian  and the Commer Imp van/Husky would have had different roof panel tooling and 'C'Pillar tooling to change the rake of the rear windows. The Chamois and Sport were essentially higher spec Imps

Throughout their model life many cars have what is called in the trade "sh1t and glitter" upgrades where lights, interior trim and brightwork are changed. Sometimes this means new tooling and others it is doing secondary operations on existing parts. Major panels in those days were often left unchanged. Imps were very popular as race and rally cars in their day so those guys must have sorted any handling issues. There are quite a few going around in historic racing classes today.

• 2 weeks later...

Even with proper maintenance the cylinder heads cracked, was usually caused by head gasket failure caused by over-heating. Small diameter clutch plate didn't last long either, kept us in work for ages. Not forgetting the heavy handed DIY crowd who stripped the spark plug threads on a regular basis, no wonder my gaffer loved the Imp varieties !!

My mate had a Hilman Imp on L plates & I was the qualified driver in passenger seat. We got pulled & everything checked out all legal: the cop asked my mate "what's in the boot?" My mate said "The engine!" cop said "are you being funny?" Had to open the lid to show him. My mate then said as cop got back in his car "aren't you going to do up for owt?" I hissed "get in the car & shutup!" Or words to that effect, I could have killed him..