21st century observations

I've enjoyed reading the feedback from everybody this morning.  I think we are all mostly on the same page.  We have a tendency to see our youth through rose tinted glasses and think we had it harder than some of today's kids.  Mabe we did but I think our generation had some real advantages too.

We are children of a generation who had it harder than we did.  I would not wanted to have spent my teens and twenties on a destroyer as my dad did.  I mentioned technology in my first post.  I still enjoy it but I think it needs to be kept in its place.  In my youth the television was not on at mealtimes.  We talked to each other, rather than staring at a smartphone?

As I've aged I find I have less and less interest or pleasure in things that formerly drove me.  I still think there is much beauty here in this world.  I still get great pleasure from music, and interactions with folks like yourselves.  The celebrity, and trivia obsessed culture, leave me cold.  As far as technology is concerned we've got the best television systems we have ever known but it is so full  of banality I rarely watch it anymore.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate in the 21st century. PC (not the computer type either). Parents who don't/want to know how to bring up their offspring. Lack of discipline everywhere. Kids in pubs. Mob

Sad to say, I was the opposite to Jill and Ian. As a teenager, I couldn't stand old people, even relatives. I mostly found them irritating and uninteresting. I thought that anyone over 40 was old, and

Funny thing, some of the lovely people of our youth were from families who lived their lives in the ways described in these comments. Some of my pals parents could hardly read and write and the houses

20 th century music,...........must have been the greatest ever,.......from great Jazz,swinging to the great bands and on to the Beatles,on holiday spent most nights watching tribute performers to all the aforementioned types of music.........it just made you wanna dance..............just can't take whats offered up today X-factor etc oh deary me........mind you do like Michael Buble,

Good point loppy about TV.

I've not watched TV for years & certainly don't miss it either.

At Mrs Catfan's parents the TV never gets switched off & the amount of rubbish on show makes me want to leave ASAP !

Programs like Coronation Street at least had some substance years ago, but nowadays it couldn't get any lower, men kissing each other ? But that sort of behaviour in acceptable for kids to see nowadays.

In my view it's things like this that are destroying society, I'm glad that I won't be around when it really kicks off.

• Upvote 2

You're right, Loppy, I think we were very fortunate to grow up in the 50s and 60s before people got greedy and dumped their children with child minders or nurseries to earn money for foreign holidays or a second car. I know in some cases both parents have to work to survive these days but at what cost to the child? Educationists tell us that children who don't attend nursery miss out socially and their educational achievements will be less than those who do. I say that's rubbish and, during my years of teaching, noted that children who had been at home with their mother and extended family members prior to starting full time school, outstripped those who were in nursery from 10 weeks old. They also had more confidence and self esteem. They knew they were loved and worth spending time with. That presupposes, of course, that they are part of a stable, loving family as were most of us, despite the odd spat now and again.

I too am completely bewildered by this obsession with celebrity culture and constant meaningless, banal chatter into smart phones. As to the pressure put on today's young people by their peers, social media and society in general, you only have to look at the child/teen suicide statistics and the horrendous waiting lists for agencies such as CAMHS to realise that something has gone very wrong somewhere.

I didn't enjoy being a teenager. I think I was already too old! I certainly wouldn't want to go through those years in the 21st century.

• Upvote 2

28.  Just last night on YT I watched a documentary about the development of tv at alexandra palace.  Those grainy pictures would make your eyes bleed.  Maybe its the rose tinted glasses again but it seems to me that many of those grainy old 405 line productions had some substance and decency.  Seems that today there is no real intent to inform or elevate, just push the politically correct agenda.  Thats another pet hate, better not start that one.  :blink:

• Upvote 2

Re 25. You're right Jill, it's a shame I've only grown up since retirement six years ago. 

You all know the old saying... Growing up is voluntary, growing old is mandatory! 

Although I can STILL be extremely childish when the mood takes me ! 

I feel less tolerant now than ever!

Keep it to myself..especially when with herself...my 21st Century persona don't suit her..in particular when shopping or driving...which to be honest is a fair insight of how the population carries itself today-

Parking in chevroned areas and totally void of manners/spacial awareness and constantly 'deal make' about junk food treats with kids named Tremayne or Shania.

When she reached a certain age, my mother started making loud comments about the sights she observed when we were out shopping together, usually about the way people were dressed or behaving. Things she would never have dreamed of voicing in her younger days. I spent all my time shushing her. Now I'm doing it.  Must be an age thing!  :(

• Upvote 4

That's another whole area you've opened up there, Jill.

I feel so sorry for kids today who are put onto various mind controlling drugs because they are diagnosed as having ADHD or some such modern psychological baloney.  I would probably have been on it in my day as a kid.  I was mischievous.  Took my clockwork mouse to church, didn't pay attention in class etc.. A clip round the backside seemed to resolve that.  I have seen some of the kids on that dope.  They are like Zombies, but I suppose the teacher has it a bit easier.

My youngest daughter was diagnosed as hyperactive and they wanted to put her on that junk.  My late wife said, no way, and got down to researching the issues.  Ended up cutting out all artificial flavors and colors.  She was like a different kid.  We were all better for a more natural diet.

That's another dislike of the 21st centrury.  Why is all processed food adulterated with unpronouncable chemicals today?  Why are foods genetically modified?  Why is tap water fluoridated?  Not for OUR benefit I guarantee you.  I guess a zombified population is easier to manipulate.

BTW. Thanks for not sending me to the tower.  That's no place for a hound.

• Upvote 2

Deep down, I'm less tolerant where PC is concerned. I was talking to a teacher on Saturday night, and was told that special attention must be given to transgender children. YOU BLEDDY WHAT ! Yes, there are some at under 16. God help us.

'Music' I'm far less tolerant. If I'm next to a car blaring out rap, hip hop, house, garage, reggae or jigga jigga junk. I give them one of my looks and wish that I could rip out their throats. 

Phones. I need a mobile to phone and send texts. I don't require, want or need one with an alarm, torch, radio, wifi, email, camera, skype or whatever. Madam was going to buy me the latest all singing, all dancing thingy for Christmas. I had a dickey fit. 

I told her just to get a bigger ball and chain and some CD's. I definitely don't want her knowing where I am to the nearest yard. 

Ugh, I'm getting the grumps again now ! 

• Upvote 4

Yeaaaaaaah, I'm rebellious again now. Chuff em all... Oldies, kids, babies........ Left wing pinko's. 

Gimme red meat immediately ! 

• Upvote 2

Z listers pee me off immensely too. Anyone REMOTELY associated with X Factor, BGT, Towie, Eastenders. In fact anyone who even watches them should be painfully eliminated. 

Kardashians... Who the F are they. Any team members of so called comedy programmes , Susannah Reid, That horrible Street Porter woman. Andrew Neil , Clive James. Any lover of science fiction. Gimme the real world any day.

I've been thinking recently who I'd like to take a baseball bat to their head. Simon Cowell, Kanye West and the Clinton / Trump entourage.... In any order....... Off we jolly well go !

• Upvote 1

Its good to get it all out Fly!!..have you tried jigaws??

Joshing aside,i have a 22,20,18 year old brood..and it has been a struggle to keep them grounded..they aren't brats, salute old folk in town( been told),give up seats,all work and study,save money and have not given us any major concerns...we slip now and again..but that's life isn't it?

Many of Madam's young girl mates are extremely wasteful..I have stopped offering food to them....Lucy the Lab is too fat for pizza.

I had just written a post to Fly.

Alf Garnett rides again.  Lol.

I hit submit reply and got that famous, infamous message.  'Can't connect to server.'  Haven't seen this in weeks.

I've seen the Can't Connect to Server frequently since I've had BT Hub 6. Pathetic service. Only 9 months to go and I'll return to Virgin or Sky. 

Oh come on NBL, I don't want folks thinking I'm a grumpy old bu66er now do I ?

• Upvote 2

Just read MOST of the article, not all.  It made me sick!  Could have spoiled my lunch if i'd kept reading.

Where was the child's father or did I miss that by not reading to the end?  Certainly wasn't mentioned in the first few paragraphs.

Mike,  we just have to acknowledge that the world will do what the world wants to do.  They need to re-read history.  Every nation that has espoused homosexuality and other sexual aberrations has not lasted for many generations. Eg ancient Greece.  Hope I won't be around when the manure hits the fan.

• Upvote 1

Likewise I could not stomach reading the entire post Dave. There was a similar case in the NEP concerning a five year old lad a few months ago in a city school & his class mates were  told to treat him normally.

In my day he would have got a good hiding for suggesing such an absurd idea, also being ridiculed by his class mates too.

I think their parents influence these kids, either they have grown up homosexual or wanted a daughter at birth & got a son instead.

Totally sickening.

• Upvote 2

Likewise, why I don't like the 21st century. This an example, now becoming more common every day. What a role model to her two kids, typical chav scum I''m afraid.

Doesn't the cameraman sound like Rodney Trotter Tho !

Another 21st century disgrace. I could never remember anything like this ever. Kids were neglected in the past but this takes's the biscuit. Shocking.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/mum-jailed-after-two-young-children-found-in-bedroom-with-human-waste-smeared-on-walls/story-29836112-detail/story.html