21st century observations

I was just thinking this morning here we are almost 17 years into the 21st century.  I'm sure that almost without exception most of us here were born in the 20th century.

soooooo!  What do you miss about the 20th century?  What do you like, dislike, hate! About the 21st century?

I'll try to start you off.  I miss the easier pace of life of the 20th century.  Maybe I'm just imagining that.

I like the new technologies of communication in the 21st.  I wouldn't be communicating with you folks without it.  I dislike the misuse of that technology.  The wanton destruction of some fine old buildings and good rail systems.

Allright!  Now its up to you.  Remember now.  No religion or politics.  :rulez:

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate in the 21st century. PC (not the computer type either). Parents who don't/want to know how to bring up their offspring. Lack of discipline everywhere. Kids in pubs. Mob

Sad to say, I was the opposite to Jill and Ian. As a teenager, I couldn't stand old people, even relatives. I mostly found them irritating and uninteresting. I thought that anyone over 40 was old, and

Funny thing, some of the lovely people of our youth were from families who lived their lives in the ways described in these comments. Some of my pals parents could hardly read and write and the houses

I hate in the 21st century.

PC (not the computer type either).

Parents who don't/want to know how to bring up their offspring.

Lack of discipline everywhere.

Kids in pubs.

Mobile phones in public places.

Ill health.

"I want everything now & not working to buy it culture."

The "Blame culture".

People who have never done an honest day's work.

The "Benefit culture".

Film photography, too expensive.

The Nottingham Tram.

I could go on all night about this !

What I liked the most about the  20th century.

Being born in the early fifties.

Growing up with nothing & later in life learning that working hard is the best way forward.

Fathering my two kids.

Enjoying the companionship of dogs & cats.

Growing up as a teenager in the sixties, great times.

Digital photography, the best thing since sliced bread.

Meeting Mrs Catfan.

Finding Nottstalgia & meeting some lovely people on here, in person & cyber friends on here !

• Upvote 7

Born in November 1961..but always felt out of step..loved old people..always tried to get fellas to talk about wartime experiences... Only Ken Clayton from Bulwell did( sort of).

I feel older and always felt older than i am.

The food and how it is produced and presented to the worlds nation is my biggest hatred of our 21st Century.

Government nutrition departments should be shot at dawn..hidden sugars and salts in all foods..abandonment of Councils regarding the amount of junk food outlets on our High Streets.

Cancer has hit all of us- and it truly is devastating, surely food/chemicals/pollution and this planets irresponsibility attribute to this terrible desease.

Mass laziness is this centuries dogma..and it's symptoms are fat expectant app junkies!

The worst thing about the 21st century is the growth of the trivia mentality.

Some people have the idea that every little insignificant, unimportant, boring part of their lives has to be broadcast to the whole world, and that the whole world is going to be interested in - and grateful for - that information.

Social Media can be good and useful; but it is also responsible for the massive increase in people being told things which they weren't aware they needed to know.

• Upvote 5

I look back at the 20th C wiith a lot of nostalgia and fondness.  Trouble is if I'm honest I know that my brain is selecting the best bits.

Yes, the music was brilliant. Yes, the best and smartest and fastest steam trains were fab.  Yes, childhood was (for me) mostly brilliant. 

Yes, Britain led the World in many fields,.. not that it seems to have done much for 'yer average' 'Joe'

I was privileged to be raised next to open fields and fresh air etc.

But, I also grew up in a home where my parents were less than harmonious ( to put it mildly) for much of the time.

Working conditions for many (most?) were very poor.

Car and home ownership were unattainable dreams for most

Polio, Diptheria and other diseases were still rife.

Slum housing was a massive problem.

And since 1950, life expectancy has increased by about 15 years.

Beware the Rose Tinted Spectacles  ;)

Col

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The worst thing about the 21st century is the growth of the trivia mentality.

Some people have the idea that every little insignificant, unimportant, boring part of their lives has to be broadcast to the whole world, and that the whole world is going to be interested in - and grateful for - that information.

Social Media can be good and useful; but it is also responsible for the massive increase in people being told things which they weren't aware they needed to know.

Sort of agree Cliff, but isn't it also just an unwanted side effect of giving people access the the 'Net'?  Do people really demand gratitude?

It's arguable that a far worse effect is just giving every opinion, informed or otherwise a voice. I can't remember who said this, but I'll try to find out.  For what it's worth, I think the statement below is a touch strong, but I do believe it points to a real problem.

"Trump is the perfect candidate for the online age. He gives a voice and a face to the ignorant, the people who've been empowered by the internet to believe having an opinion is the equal of having an informed opinion, the wilfully, defiantly stupid who in their complete unawareness of their short-comings pour scorn on the educated for trying to oppress them, the trolls and the bullies and the thick-headed prejudiced who've been liberated by their new-found anonymous communication freedoms to say things that previous generations would have found disgusting and unacceptable. This isn't a political battle, it's a social battle and it should show the reflective classes that a line has been drawn and that they shouldn't give an inch out of 'elitist' guilt."

• Upvote 1

I recall, as a child, talking to elderly relatives who were born in the 1880s, since like Ian Dawson I always got on better with people much older than myself. They generally berated the times in which they then lived...the mid 1960s which admittedly saw huge changes in most aspects of life. This was from people who had experienced two world wars!

My interpretation of that would be that, despite what they may say, most people don't like change or to feel outside their comfort zone. 

We like what we know and want it to stay that way. It raises interesting implications for the much talked about future life expectancies of 100 to 150 years as being normal. Many people start complaining about the world changing in a detrimental manner when only in their 40s! How will living to 150, potentially, affect them? Count me out of that. Good as this sphere of existence has been to me, I don't want to be held prisoner on it for another 90 years! ;)

• Upvote 4

Sad to say, I was the opposite to Jill and Ian. As a teenager, I couldn't stand old people, even relatives. I mostly found them irritating and uninteresting. I thought that anyone over 40 was old, and that they had no place in my life. Yes, I was extremely selfish when I was younger. 

Oh, how I was wrong! Although nowadays I still berate oldies who get in my way, I like to hear their tales of their young days. 

When out walking, I always try to say 'Good Morning ' or whatever to try and cheer them up a bit. My few words with them might be the only conversation they have that day, and it doesn't take much effort on my behalf to do that. I just hope that I'm treated respectfully when I'm old, needy and alone. 

• Upvote 6

I don't like moaning old people and most of them are younger than me! (78 today)

I am so lucky to have lived during the period of most change on this planet. Change is inevitable otherwise we cannot adjust and we will die. We must embrace change and be firm with the bad and negative bits.  

If we look back at our youth in the 40's and 50's, life was no harder or easier than it is for today's youth. It is just different. Totally different. Food rationing, being hungry, often cold and dads at war caused stress that we learnt to manage. Today's youth probably have similar stress brought on by masses of information and  knowledge that is difficult to comprehend. They have to live with peer pressure through social media that seems to be out of control.

Sir DA says that there are to many people on this planet... so maybe there will be an adjustment?

Any road - I'm off to France today to make cider :crazy:

• Upvote 4

I agree Terry. I wouldn't want to be young today. Although a lot of future problems will occur due to changing attitudes with "today's" young generation.

All for totally different reasons that you & many others experienced in your lifetime.

Happy birthday too !

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Sort of agree Cliff, but isn't it also just an unwanted side effect of giving people access the the 'Net'?  Do people really demand gratitude ?

I don't think people are after gratitude; the people who make the unnecessary comments just assume that everyone wants to know what they (the speaker) are doing. You could almost say it's a form of selfishness - "Look at me, I'm important".

PP # 16,...........HAPPY Birthday PP,and agree with most of your sentiments,good and bad in last century and this one.............

• Upvote 1

CliffTon, I think everyone is important, and I'm mostly interested in what other people think and certainly interested in their experiences of life!  I admit, there is some stuff which comes on my newsfeed on Facebook that I don't spend much time on, but generally I think if it is important to one of my friends, then  it deserves a bit of a read!

Never mind this topic, my whole time on Nottstalgia has gladly enabled me to see life differently. Other people's points of view provide me with a different slant on things. Some calm and sooth me, others amaze me. 

I used to be wrapped up in my own little world, and anyone encroaching on it was viewed with disdain and suspicion. Now, I tend to appreciate others views, advice  and opinions and see things from a different perspective. ..... I still like my own way though, and (mostly) think I'm right !

• Upvote 4