Microsoft Office

We need a new Office type program and I wondered if anyone has tried https://www.libreoffice.org/

Our son says it is fairly basic, which we want - I certainly don't use all the features on Microsoft Office which is what we have now!  We have a lot of Microsoft Office documents saved on the laptop and on a 'stick' and we regularly need to access them.  What we need to know is what would happen to these if we get a different Office program.  Would we still be able to open them and would they still look the same?  Please can someone advise us as I get nervous uninstalling stuff.  I know we could get another Microsoft Office but it is expensive and has too many features.  Help, please x

There are loads of free office programs about Margie, Open Office,Libre Office etc.

I use Google Docs, works well & compatible with M$ Office. 

Transferring files around is not a problem.

• Upvote 1

I use Libre Office, Margie because it works well on Linux.  It opens all my old M$ Word files with no hiccups.  Word processing is the only feature I use but it can do lots of other stuff.  Mrs. Loppy is also using it in Windoze 7 and it seems to work just fine.  I would definitely recommend it.

Not sure but I think 'Open Office became Libre Office over time.

You should be able to install Libre Office alongside M$ office and give them both a try before you commit.

• Upvote 1

Another vote here for Libre Office which is probably the best free office suite out there. It is more or less the standard office program for Linux. It will open all your Microsoft word files, no problem. You can also save any new documents you write as MS word or any a variety of popular document formats. It is actually quite sophisticated but you can use it as a simple word processor too. Layout similar to MS word so you should be able to find your way around it fine. One feature I use quite a bit is it will save a document as a PDF which can be very handy. 

If you do try it and get stuck with anything, PM me and I'll walk you through it.

• Upvote 1

I'll go for it then..... now how do I uninstall Microsoft Office?  Must admit, I'm a bit scared....

For now leave installed. Which version of M$ Office are you using ?

There will be an uninstall feature somewhere anyway.

When installed a new office program you will have to ascociate M$ fileswith your new program.

If it isn't too late already, Margie I would recommend backing up all your Word files to a USB or CD drive.  You can always re-instal a program but your hours of working on those files cannot be replaced.  You are very unlikely to lose them anyway, but better safe than sorry.

edited to add.  Find out which version you are using by going to the 'help' menu and then select 'about MS office'.  Or words to that effect.

• Upvote 1

thanks Loppy.  We have all our documents on USB sticks, so that should be OK.  Still plucking up courage to get rid of MS  and install LibreOffice.  I WILL do it...

DONE IT!!  Looks easy to use and all our Word documents are still there.  Thankyou, Mike and Dave and letsavagoo xx

• Upvote 3