Bobby Vee, gone,..................feel part of my youth gone too...........RIP Bobby.....................

Made some great pop records. RIP Bobby. 

Loved 'take good care of my baby' - just listened to it and it made me cry.   He was 7 weeks younger than me and like Ben says .... feel part of my youth has gone.  RIP  Bobby

Something I hadn't previously realised about how Bobby Vee started his career.

Vee's big break came about in 1959 at the age of 15 when he filled in for Buddy Holly after the singer's death in a plane crash.  Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper were also killed in the accident in Iowa, along with the pilot, Roger Peterson.

A call went out for local acts to replace Holly at his scheduled show at the Moorhead National Guard Armory. Vee and his band, which had only formed two weeks previously, volunteered.

Did'nt know that cliff-ton.............havent read up on him yet.............just remember all his great songs of the early 60s,...'run to him' 'take good care of my baby' 'the night has a thousand eyes' 'rubber ball' etc.............bought em all,and have great memories of people (mostly girls) and places i frequented at the time ,like the Bodega and Locarno.

• Upvote 3

Bobby Vee was from the same era as many other purveyors of good clean innocent pop. Johnny Tillotson, Bobby Rydell, Fabian , Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka and many others. Great times.

Oh no! I wasn't much into adoring pop stars in my youth, went more for the song they sang than what they looked like. But, him and Gene Pitney I loved. 

• Upvote 2

Sad news.  RIP