The Trent Embankment

Guest a5h4w

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone who hasn't been in Nottingham recently, there are bits of it which don't look too bad given the right conditions.    And these are them trees.......this morning.

Lovely CT...........So many memories along there........... Thursday half day Dates.....early 60s. Playing Cricket with my sons......with tree as a wicket.......70s AND 80S Rowing down

Found this photo today on "Old girls of plant hire" facebook page so not my picture but worth posting here, looks like the new bridge being put in place ready for the tram lines    

Going into anorak mode, my previous post was not totally accurate. I thought the photo looked a bit too old for the tram conversion.

That photo is from the late 70s when the original central span was demolished for safety reasons, and a replacement section was installed. Then in the early 2000s that replacement was enlarged to accommodate trams.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

The boat which takes people on trips up and down the river along the embankment. Probably quite civilised in nice weather.

ZEuQ2OV.jpg

The building on the right is a massive McCarthy & Stone complex built on the site of the former Becket School.

Lovely photo.   Perhaps one of the meet ups next summer could be a trip down the river on a boat?  I expect it would be too expensive to hire one though!    At least one of the Carlton le Willows reunions have been on a boat but I didn’t go because my friend wasn’t going:  I’m not always very confident with people I don’t know .  (You lot are OK though because I feel I know you through our communicating on the forum)

I went on that river cruise Margie!  Don’t think I knew you then though, it’s probably 10 years ago.  We went from Colwick eastwards and back whilst enjoying a Sunday roast.  

• Like 1

I have a vague memory of going on such a boat when I was very young. Mum sometimes used to take us to Trent Bridge and I recall it was a very cold, dull day.  I was so disappointed by the water because I expected it to be blue!  Once on the boat, it was even colder and I was glad to get off again.  Water holds no fascination for me.

10 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I have a vague memory of going on such a boat when I was very young. Mum sometimes used to take us to Trent Bridge and I recall it was a very cold, dull day. 

Are you thinking of the boats to Colwick Pleasure Park, which used to go from the Colwick side of Trent Bridge ?

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12175-pleasure-park-at-colwick-and-trent-lane/?tab=comments#comment-59190

17 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

In the early 50s my dad took me on a boat trip from Trent  Bridge (Victoria Embankment) to Radcliffe and back on the 'Pride of the Yare

Quite why a Gt Yarmouth boat was up here no idea:

http://www.ourgreatyarmouth.org.uk/images/uploaded/scaled/pride_of_theyare_at_nottingham001.jpg

26 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve been on that very same boat in the 50’s. I believe it was one of the Dunkirk ‘little ships’.

So have I Phil. thumbsup

@LizzieM  You are right, we didn’t know each other then. or else I would have gone too.

@Willow wilson  I went with mum in the late 40s/very early 50s on a boat to Radcliffe but we returned to Nottingham on the train.  I remember getting off the boat and walking up a steep gravel path to a park, before walking to the train station.

it felt like a real adventure!

Thanks for the pictures. 

MargieH, yes those earliest recalled ventures away from home, excluding trips to the shops (again), seemed almost magical.

I've got a notion in my mind that there was another pleasure steamboat working the Trent about the same time, name of Gorlestone. Another Yarmouth registered boat I guess but I'm not sure. 

I've happily navigated the river Yare many times in the last 50 years and I'll never forget it or the steamboat which borrowed its name.

• Upvote 1

Can anyone remember that disco boat that was by Trent Bridge that you could hire ? I think it eventually sank !

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Are you thinking of the boats to Colwick Pleasure Park, which used to go from the Colwick side of Trent Bridge ?

I don't know, CT. All I know is that we went to The Embankment and then made a boat trip. My main memory is of the grey water and how cold it was. I was very young at the time. Messing about in boats was usually confined to Highfields, where we went quite frequently and where, on one occasion, my father allowed my sister to row until she almost capsized the thing! I was happier in the paddling pool.

I don’t know if Jill’s been past recently but I saw them boating a few weeks ago. The rhododendrons are still there and there’s a professional tennis centre over the road where top players compete prior to Wimbledon. The croquet lawn is still there as well. They also land the air ambulance helicopter on the pitches at the Beeston end as there’s nowhere to land at the QMC, so the poor casualties have to be transported to the hospital by road. Not a very good arrangement.

• Like 1

It has been many years since I was at Highfields. As a child, we visited frequently because my paternal grandparents lived in Beeston and it was handy for a picnic on a nice day.  I know it has changed quite a lot but it's nice to know that those activities are still available. When my father was a child, his own grandfather used to take him for walks round Highfields on Sundays, so there was a sense of continuity about dad taking us there as children.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

They also land the air ambulance helicopter on the pitches at the Beeston end as there’s nowhere to land at the QMC, so the poor casualties have to be transported to the hospital by road. Not a very good arrangement.

It’s unbelievable that a helicopter can’t be landed at QMC seeing as it’s a Major Trauma Centre for the East Mids. I can’t be that difficult to paint a big ‘H’ on the roof and stick a lift in next to it.   

Not quite sure of the year think 1961 

Highfield's Lake Froze    

I came home from school, called for my friend grabbed up our skates and off we went. 

TRENT EMBANKMENT?

I can remember spending most Sunday afternoons laying on the grass, with my tiny (tranny) radio and listening to top 40 with Tony Blackburn.

One year in August they had Nottingham music Festival down the Trent Bridge end it was packed, and a good time was had by all.  

Message to NCC    lets have more of these.   

Can any of you remember swimming in the river Trent?   also the swing bridge you could walk all the way across to the other side as it used to only be 3ft deep there.

@mary1947, In reply to your question re swimming in the Trent. Yes, I was a regular swimmer down there, as mentioned many times on here. Used to swim from the embankment, where the trip boats were berthed. Also a regular place was the railway bridge just downstream from the toll bridge. Even stored our clothes under the arches to keep the snow off them.

All this happened before I was 14 years old !

Can't say I remember a swing bridge though.

• Like 1