Petrol station near Dancing Slipper West Bridgford

It's difficult to find any direct photos of the place, it only appears in the distance from an awkward angle. As this demonstrates -

centralave_zpscrcqfe15.jpg

Zooming in, the detail is lost but you can see petrol pumps on the edge of the pavement.

centralave2_zpsorxbjdtu.jpg

That's an unusual logo for the petrol brand. Any ideas ?

Well done. I thought it was an E. 

I can only check up to the late 1940s but there was a garage called "Avenue Garage" on Central Avenue . Was there more than one? 

This Polish air force chap seemed to have an interest in it 

https://304squadron.blogspot.co.uk/2015_02_01_archive.html?m=1

Zib. Zipser lived on Trent Boulevard, Lady Bay, his son John was my friend in the late 40's and early 50's. Zipser Motors on Radcliffe Road was a Rover dealership, his first showroom was east of the cricket ground near Lady Bay Bridge, he later moved to his second premises closer to, but not quite opposite the cricket ground.

There was a Cleveland petrol station opposite the TBI car park, owned by Stan Williamson(?)

• Upvote 1

Yes, the Zipser garage/petrol station occupied the site where Taj Lounge and Dominoes are now. Rover dealers from the sixties, as a kid I used to bike over TB to gaze at the P5 and P6s. I bought an 800 from them just before they finally closed about fifteen years ago.

I guess the Central Ave garage must have closed shortly after the pics in #2 were taken? I used to walk down the Avenue every evening after school to my job at Fine Fare around 1970, the garage was gone by then.

• 3 months later...

I am married to Andrew Zipser who is  the son of Zbigniew Zipser who was in partnership with Jack Prentice at the Avenue garage under the Dancing Slipper.  This was 1965/66.  He passed away in 1967.  If anyone wants anymore information just contact me.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
On 2/6/2017 at 2:48 PM, JUDI said:

Yes, same family Cliff Ton

Hello Judi

I used to attend the Dancing Slipper in the mid 60's.  Friday nights to see local groups like the Jaybirds; and Saturday nights for jazz bands like Terry Lightfoot.  There would be three or four of us.  We used to be friendly with a group of 3 0r 4 nice local (West Bridgford) girls.  One was Jan Crockford.  Another was Judy (tall, slim girl).  We used ti see them on Monday nights also at the YMCA in Nottingham.  We were all around 17/18 at the time, and so will be in our early 70's now.  I would love to make contact with any of these girls now to chat about old times, but have no idea of their whereabouts now.

Malc Pritchard

• 11 months later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Petrol station near Dancing Slipper West Bridgford