Firbeck - one of our members

I looked in the Nottingham Post obituaries last night and found notice of the death of an old friend of mine who resides in Braintree. I believe this to be our member Firbeck. I don't know any details yet but it says he died unexpectedly on October 10th which indicates to me there must have been an inquest. If it is my old mate may God rest his soul.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi ~ just wanted to let you all know that some of Pete's (Firbeck) family have read your comments and taken comfort from how well thought of he was and how much he has contributed to your forum over t

I could write a book about our escapades and that was only for a few short years. What did he get up to with others. Pete and I (along with many others of our wider circle of friends) led lively lives

Pete's Nottingham Transport Forum Dedicated to the memory of Pete Truman (Firbeck) 26/11/1950 - 10/10/2016   Forum Catagory renamed

Crikey, I hope not, but it appears that his last post was made on October 9th. 

I enjoyed your twos tales of your spotting escapades.

Hope its not the case,............Firbeck was a great contributer on here.........liked his long rants.......had many a friendly go at him........and he took it all with a Bilborough 'Pinch of salt'..................

• Upvote 1

That is such sad news. I was privileged to meet Pete a few years ago, such a warm hearted caring man who would go out of his way to help others. A rare quality sadly lacking these days.

His knowledge of steam trains & Nottingham nostalgia was a major bonus to Nottstalgia.

You will be sadly missed by many here Pete.

God Bless you.

Just read through this thread with sadness. R.I.P. Firbeck. I will miss his railway anecdotes.

Well said Jill..............life too short for 'Fussing and Fighting'..............RIP Firbeck.....................

How sad, its never good to hear of someone passing away at a relatively early age (younger than me anyway).  RIP Firbeck.

It's a pity the EP don't use spell-check before putting to print. 

• Upvote 1

I think we can seriously assume that the notice in the Nottingham post is true. It gives his mother's, brother's and son's names which I know is true. Also his age and the location of the funeral on Monday at Braintree at 1pm.

I will try to find out what happened but because of work commitments I am unable to attend his funeral.

I could write a book about our escapades and that was only for a few short years. What did he get up to with others. Pete and I (along with many others of our wider circle of friends) led lively lives full of devilment. From making fake half crowns in metalwork lessons, to going across the tracks at railway stations to avoid giving up our tickets.  We had a great day out in Manchester visiting all the railway stations and acquiring platform tickets. We went on the last Nottingham service trolleybus in 1966. We toured all the local locomotive sheds by bicycle and many of the far away ones by rail. Easter 1966 we took a weeks cycle ride to the Isle of Wight on his dad's old 1930s tandem, staying in the very austere youth hostels of the day.  One of my best memories was around 1967 when we came convinced that the empty Bramcote Hills House in Stapleford was haunted. So one evening along with Tony and Babs two mates from school, we walked to Moor Road and through the woods at the back of the sand quarry. When we got to the Rhododendron bushes at the rear of the house we forgot about the 20 foot drop beyond and all fell into a heap on top of a load of grass cuttings. We got into the building alright. But it was not haunted and only contained white lining equipment for the adjacent football pitches.

We walked the recently closed railway lines; from Awsworth to Pinxton, from Daybrook to Leen Valley Junction, from Basford to Bennerley Junction and also the Nottingham Suburban railway (through all those scary tunnels) 'borrowing' many signal box lever labels and block instruments on the way..  I'd go back and do it all again and more if I could. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

It sure is. I really need to find out what happened. I phoned the funeral place in Braintree today but all they could tell me was that the Coroner was involved.    We honestly thought we were indestructible.

I noticed that too Lizzie, being another pedantic bu66er. The result of a Comprehensive education I suspect. 

Im afraid it's not fully sunk in with me yet. 

RIP. Pete. 

Will miss his post's  

R.I.P Firbeck