Firbeck - one of our members

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi ~ just wanted to let you all know that some of Pete's (Firbeck) family have read your comments and taken comfort from how well thought of he was and how much he has contributed to your forum over t

I could write a book about our escapades and that was only for a few short years. What did he get up to with others. Pete and I (along with many others of our wider circle of friends) led lively lives

Pete's Nottingham Transport Forum Dedicated to the memory of Pete Truman (Firbeck) 26/11/1950 - 10/10/2016   Forum Catagory renamed

15 hours ago, Bilbraborn said:

I looked in the Nottingham Post obituaries last night and found notice of the death of an old friend of mine who resides in Braintree. I believe this to be our member Firbeck. I don't know any details yet but it says he died unexpectedly on October 10th which indicates to me there must have been an inquest. If it is my old mate may God rest his soul.

Worth a brief return to echo sentiments.  If it is Firbeck, I wish him eternal peace.

Col

Unlike many on this site who appear to have known "Firbeck" personally I have only known him for his posts on Nottstalgia,  particularly his love and knowledge of the game of cricket. I will miss his posts. Thinking of his family and friends at this sad time.

So sorry to hear the passing of Pete, never had the pleasure of meeting him but had much contact over his support of the site in more difficult times. RIP Pete.

Sad to say we didn't always see 'eye to eye' on everything but he was a true character, a great raconteur, never flinching in his bombastic charge along lifes great highway, and right or wrong he was never afraid to throw his two pennorth into the debates of the day.

Nice to have met up on an 'Aviation Day' to Lincolnshire all those years ago and shared a few tales in person.

RIP Pete...........................Long may your memories be ours too

Ian

• Upvote 4

I'm so sorry to learn that Firbeck has passed away. He's been with Nottstalgia for many years and, like many others on Nottstalgia, I enjoyed reading

his escapades with Bilbraborn. I've also been pleased with all your lovely comments and I hope that his family get to see them. R.I.P. Firbeck.

• Upvote 2

Is there anyway that I can copy these comments and send them to his family? I know the best way for them to see not only on this thread but all the many other posts he made over the years would be to become a member of Nottstalgia or even just log on but it may not be practical for them at this sad time.

To avoid complications (allowing for some readers who may not be computer literate), I'd say the best way to send this thread to his family might be to print it out on real paper and send it to them by real post in an envelope.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi ~ just wanted to let you all know that some of Pete's (Firbeck) family have read your comments and taken comfort from how well thought of he was and how much he has contributed to your forum over the years.  We knew he wrote on these pages but not of what and we knew he sometimes disagreed quite vehemently on a number of subjects and was pretty controversial and outspoken at times ~ but that was Pete and that was part of what made him, him. It's all been pretty unreal and upsetting as it was totally unexpected and out of the blue.  Yes there was a postmortem but we still haven't had the results yet, so are still in the dark as to why he died. We had a pretty good send off for him down in Braintree, the Crematorium was built on an old wartime prisoner of war camp, so we felt it was in keeping with his wartime interests.  There was a pretty big turn out for him and family and friends spoke warmly and affectionately of him of shared adventures and of his life, it was a celebration of his life rather than being too sad about his death.  I like to think we gave him a good send off and that if he was looking down he would have had a few chuckles and been pretty pleased with how it all went.  There were no flowers but everyone who attended wore poppies, as the Royal British Legion was close to his heart and he always attended a remembrance service on 11th of 11th where-ever possible.  We're all going to miss him dreadfully and not a day goes by without us thinking of him.  It was all particularly hard on his son, Jack. Thank you again to everyone who posted on here, it really is appreciated. Wendy xx

• Upvote 21

Thanks for that Wendy. Pete was a much valued member here, and we'll all miss him greatly.