Congestion Charge on the Way ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being cyclists ourselves we have observed over the years that there are so many situations arise where by they are made worse by peoples personal attitudes, be it the walker who hates the cyclist, the

Spot on Carni, as you say pedestrians with ear plugs in listening to music are a real pain on duel purpose pathways, If some one doesn't respond or acknowledge my bell I give a quick blast on the "Air

Tosser's will be tosser's whether they are riding a bike, driving a vehicle, or often just existing, you can try to ignore them but they are that loud it is usually impossible.   I live on a

I understand and agree with the three previous postings on communication it is so frustrating , on these occasions instead of becoming annoyed I use the old fashion method of writing to them or emailing and sending a copy to my local councillor together with a note asking for their help and their views on the matter. After all they stood for election and take the expenses so make them work for it. Once I never received a reply from the councillor so I wrote again telling him I understood how busy he was so if they could not find the time I would seek the help of the local paper, next night the bell rang there he was keen to help. I don't write that often now but when I do I always get a reply.

Local councils are only as good as the local electorate make them, so I would encourage every one to let your Council and Councillors know you views and make them justify their actions after all we pay the bills.

• Like 1

Commo, this is EXACTLY the sort of "I'm too important to speak to you ' scenario that totally pi55es people off. 

Didn't the tosser realise that although he's on the supervisory ladder, he's not the almighty, and should have conversed with you. 

He's STILL a public servant! 

• Like 2

Just as an aside I am known for never raising my voice or swearing at people I am having a spat with, that would completely lose the point you are trying to make. However I do swear with in my mates circle and I used to be very good at raising my voice on the square or firing range my nick name among my instructor peers was 'the mouth'.

If someone from the council wants to get on their high horse with me I insist on getting a .............................bigger horse!!! I am told I am also very good at writing to councillors and MPs which seems to get better results than trying to speak to the workers.

Back in 2014 I had a problem with a very large 30ft plus high tree on council property that was leaning over enough to cause damage to my lean to. I started my contact with Nottingham City Homes 0n the 13/02 by speaking to the patch manageress as the house was now empty. Promises were made but nothing was done despite leaving numerous messages on her mobile. Finally I wrote to her line manager who replied with more promises again nothing was done.

On the 12/05 exasperated I wrote to my councillor explaining the situation and that | would hold the council responsible for all costs should there be further damage and told him copies of the letter had been sent to my solicitor and my insurers.

On the 15/05 I returned at 11-30am from shopping to find the tree............gone, not trimmed as requested but gone.

That instance is one off the major problems with these people, they lie to you, they ignore you, they treat you with contempt and then wonder why people get upset with them.

• Upvote 1

Sue sorry to disagree but public servants do not pay tax, never have never will.

The public purse is filled by the private sector only, it is depleted by the public sector to pay for the services we all need.

If you take the private sector away the public sector would soon find out that the 'pot' is empty despite them paying their so called taxes.

• Upvote 1

To put it into a nutshell NBL, many staff can't, won't, daren't, or are just plain unable to think for themselves these days. 

The last job I was in was supplying telecommunications equipment world wide, and had to decide which of two large transport companies to use, as one only delivered to the door. The other used double manned wagons, and physically moved stuff up or down to the comms room. I'm talking hospitals, schools, hotels, Government buildings, military installations, supermarkets, chain stores, call centres etc. Then there was 'Emergencies' which had to be delivered ASAP, then Next Day by 9, noon, and 5pm. International paper work to create. Is the customer on a Pro Forma scheme, or an account holder. Then there was our own drivers to allocate deliveries. I'd never send the same driver to central London more than twice a week. Once if possible. I'd avoid any overnight stops, and pass those jobs on to one of the two aforementioned companies. Government and military jobs had to be informed of drivers names, addresses, DoB, wagon reg, colour, any logos, ETA, contact phone numbers etc.

A lot of responsibility which I doubt many of these so called 'servants' could manage.

• Like 2

My wife who used to work for the city council until retirement also refused to except that she made no positive contribution to the public purse perhaps its council mentality and I can assure you she argues her point with determination fortunately I know went to back down its that..............certain look............

But to put it simply if the public purse contains £300 and it is not topped up by the private sector along comes the public sector worker who is paid £100 per week and pays £21 so called tax at the end of week 3 there is £61 left and on week 4 they don't get paid.

NBL, like your missus, I'm not really understanding your point.

The vast majority of taxation will be raised from within the system of private enterprise as I'm sure most people would accept.

So what?

There has been a taxation system since time immemorial within civilised socities. One of it's main purposes is to provide funds to manage the infrastructure of that society. 

Those employees in the public sector pay their taxes and also contribute. Is there any job title for any of those employees which includes the word 'servant'?   

Have been reading an article in todays paper about a bus driver telling a young mother she must fold up her buggy or wait for the next bus as spaces are filled.  Not a problem.... it is if the space is filled by a buggy holding a cat, so now bus companies put cats before kids !!

• Like 1

^^^^^^^One up for the old NCT its private enterprise now.

My point is TBI I want what I pay for and that is good council services, something which I am sure a lot of people would agree with me we aren't getting.

As to them contributing the only thing they have to contribute is their time and energy something that seems sadly lacking, they cannot contribute money that would be like taking a Twenty out of a wallet, sticking Five back and saying I am making a positive contribution, mind you given public sector that is probably say and even worse believe it.

I see NBL. So it isn't about terminology, public sector employees being servants, or them not contributing financially (which isn't their function of course). It isn't about them not paying tax ( they have a tax code and pay same as everyone else).

It is about the inefficiencies within the system. Well, that I agree with you.  

• Like 1

We agree on something then.

But I stand by what I have said I quote the OED 'public servant, someone employed by the state or local government' or perhaps they are wrong to.

And of course it is impossible to make a positive contribution to the public purse when you take out more than you put in, simple fact of life and mathematics'.

• Upvote 1

No, of course they are not wrong, they are saying the same as me, see my first post, it's only semantics. 'Public servant' is a general term for employees within layers of government that maintain infrastructure and provide services. Individually, they are not servants per se, the area they work in is a public service.

Furthermore, as I have said, they are not required to be profit oriented so they do not make a contribution to the public purse, it is not what they are there for.

Nottingham is a sizeable city and could cope with the loss of trade by inhibiting motorists. Despite the howls from some of this site's members about the tram, Nottingham does have a decent public transport system which you can actually work out! 

I look at places like Darlington and Stockton on Tees, where the car parking charges are completely stupid. One street has parking for 2 hours at a pound. The next street has it for 20 minutes for a pound! The town centres therefore start to die. 

Quite right, I can never understand why traffic is still allowed to go down Victoria St, left towards Bridlesmith Gate, past the church and up towards Maid Marion Way. 

I always park in Vic Centre or use my bus pass.

Isn't there a outlet near The Salutation? I reckon there used to be.

36 minutes ago, mercurydancer said:

I look at places like Darlington and Stockton on Tees, where the car parking charges are completely stupid. One street has parking for 2 hours at a pound. The next street has it for 20 minutes for a pound! The town centres therefore start to die. 

Exactly the scenario in Nottm city centre. Take a look at the empty shops in Hockley.

• Like 1

Wheeler Gate, that's it. As I said though, it should be closed as a through route, as it traverses the pedestrian area.