Congestion Charge on the Way ?

45 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

I can never understand why traffic is still allowed to go down Victoria St, left towards Bridlesmith Gate, past the church and up towards Maid Marion Way. 

I think you've lost your bearings slightly there ;)

If you go down Victoria Street, you can only turn left onto the end of Bridlesmith Gate; then you turn right down St Peter's Gate, and you can't get any further beyond the side of St Peter's church. (level with the bottom of Exchange Walk).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being cyclists ourselves we have observed over the years that there are so many situations arise where by they are made worse by peoples personal attitudes, be it the walker who hates the cyclist, the

Spot on Carni, as you say pedestrians with ear plugs in listening to music are a real pain on duel purpose pathways, If some one doesn't respond or acknowledge my bell I give a quick blast on the "Air

Tosser's will be tosser's whether they are riding a bike, driving a vehicle, or often just existing, you can try to ignore them but they are that loud it is usually impossible.   I live on a

Thanks Cliff, it must have changed since I last drove along there. My mistake ! 

Last time  I was in that area, I picked up a £30 penalty for veering into a bleddybus lane !

edit... Mine regularly does

3 hours ago, TBI said:

But the bottom end of St Peters Gate has been blocked off for ages?

Access is needed for deliveries to the shops down there. Plus there's quite a few blue badge parking spaces for shoppers to get to M&S.

I reckon the street I was actually thinking of was the one from the other end of Bridlesmith Gate. Low Pavement, which crosses the pedestrianised area, and leads to Castle Gate. Is that still useable by the general public ?

When I worked on Pelham Ave 30 odd years ago, we needed our cars as we used to have to check H/S of salon's, at the time Nottingham council were going to bring in charges for taking your car to your place of work. This charge never came in, where I used to work they are still waiting.

PS if we were making a salon visit in the city our boss would not pay any parking fee, but where we were it was easy to catch the bus. (Boss would pay our bus fare)

11 hours ago, Rob.L said:

Access is needed for deliveries to the shops down there. Plus there's quite a few blue badge parking spaces for shoppers to get to M&S.

There are bollards preventing vehicles there Rob but access to the shops etc is made from the other end as FLY says, Low Pavement/Castle Gate.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

They can add it to their list of other stupid decisions connected with cycle paths. I posted this is another thread, but I'll use any opportunity to repeat it again.

At the Abbey Bridge end of Castle Boulevard (outside the Grove pub), the roads in and out of that junction were all reduced to one lane to make way for the cycle track.  Anyone with half a brain could see that would increase traffic congestion. Within less than 6 months after it all opened, the council dug up, changed, re-widened and enlarged all the roads at that junction to try and deal with the congestion they'd caused in the first place, because they realised they'd made a complete mess.

So they wasted all the money on building the thing; then within less than a year they wasted more money on digging it up, changing it and rebuilding it.

We always thought that they couldn't tell their left from their right ? Will heads roll ? Not a cat in hells chance !

It's just the usual PC, cyclists are a minority and also have less environmental impact than motor traffic. Therefore looking after them is the priority...so cycle paths abound everywhere. Do the cyclists use them though? Course they bleddy don't, most of them ride on the road and on the pavements like they've always done.  Complete waste of cash.

• Like 2

I always use the cycle paths if they are in place,the problem with a lot of them is the bloody motorists parking on them!

Rog

Yes Rog, but maybe that's because the cycle lanes are extensive and run along in front of many properties. Sometimes motorists have no choice but to stop for various reasons, dropping off/picking up etc. On a single lane, where they would be blocking traffic, where are they supposed to stop? If the occasional bike does happen to come along, it's not like they can't easily go round. Like most do.

Park the vehicles in a safe area without causing an obstruction to other road users ie: other cars,vans,lorries,pedestrians and cyclists, the trouble with a lot of car drivers is they have to park so close to the shop doorway, bank ATM, their own doorway because they just cant be bothered or too lazy to walk the small distance from their car, the cycle/foot paths are put in for the use of pedestrians,mobility scooters and cyclists not as a personal car park,try cycling along Balderton road Newark on the cycle path,damn near impossible without coming off the path and riding into the road,

Rog

• Like 1

Tell that to all the couldn't-care-less cyclists who ride all over the pavements then, Rog. As regards road usage, when cyclists pay road tax they can have preference as far as I'm concerned. Anyroad, this is an old chestnut so I've said my bit.

That is the usual get out answer from a motorist "They don't pay road tax" I pay road tax for my car, I also pay insurance for my trike and when the minority of motorists learn to park their vehicles consideratley they too can have preference as far as I'm concerned,we will have to agree to disagree

Rog,  A considerate motorist and caring cyclist

• Like 1

The vast majority of drivers and cyclist are reasonable road users, (in my opinion) and it's just the few pillocks who annoy the 'other' side. The cyclist who used my car roof as a rest because he couldn't be bothered to put his feet down, then scratched the door with his pedals. The cyclist who endangered himself and others jumping the lights on the ring road. The arrogant tits who use the disabled bay in the supermarket. The totally unecessary parking half way up the pavement on my road, the list could go on and on. I don't suppose we're ever going to solve it, you can't just take a pill to cure ignorant behaviour.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes Brew, I'm always intrigued as to why cyclists think it's necessary to wobble all over the road when waiting for the lights to change.

just put your feet down for a few seconds.

• Like 1

Once again Fly it's down to lazyness, these type of cyclist have their cycling shoes clipped into the pedal but sooner than just twist their foot/feet to the outside a little bit they would sooner try and perform a track stand in the road risking falling off their bikes into the path of other vehicles,Track stands are ok on the track not the road,,There are some good cyclists who ride their bikes within the highway code and with consideration for other road users just the same as there are motor vehicle drivers who behave in the same way,unfortunately there is a small minority of both who think they own the road and that there is no room on it for others these are the arrogant,ignorant,impatient,selfish,inconsiderate tossers that give the rest a bad name

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Couldn't have put it better myself Rog. Spot on !