• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like Brew's basic idea.  I see no reason why the battery 'compartment' for cars cannot be standardised and made accessible.  Or maybe several different battery sizes for varying sizes of vehicle..or

Funnily enough, there was a programme on ITV last night looking into such things.  The outcome ? Ultra expensive cars, totally insufficient plug in points, only a thirty mile range, then you have

My electric car can go for 30 miles, can't find a cable that long though.

• 12 years later...

Funnily enough, there was a programme on ITV last night looking into such things. 

The outcome ? Ultra expensive cars, totally insufficient plug in points, only a thirty mile range, then you have to wait for two hours whilst the damn thing charges up. Hardly much use if you're travelling to Scotland or Cornwall for your holidays.

It showed a couple driving one of these contraptions from Leeds to London. A joke, as what was normally a three hour journey, took them over six ! 

Now I like a coffee and a wee break now and then, but not every thirty bleddy miles.

Hopefully they'll never take over from the internal combustion engine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If there was a proper and efficient railway system in the UK you would be able to load your car (electric, steam-powered or whatever) on to a rail carrier, relax in the comfort of the train whilst you (and your car) are being sped along at a hundred plus miles an hour to your destination. You get out at the other end refreshed and ready to drive and complete the few miles to where you actually want to visit. No waiting around at charging points, being ripped off for fuel at motorway service stations and so on.

It won't happen, I'm sure. Too many vested interests by those in control of the country.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, jonab said:

If there was a proper and efficient railway system in the UK you would be able to load your car (electric, steam-powered or whatever) on to a rail carrier, relax in the comfort of the train whilst you (and your car) are being sped along at a hundred plus miles an hour to your destination. You get out at the other end refreshed and ready to drive and complete the few miles to where you actually want to visit. No waiting around at charging points, being ripped off for fuel at motorway service stations and so on.

It won't happen, I'm sure. Too many vested interests by those in control of the country.

There used to be a car/rail service that went from Birmingham to the West Country some years ago. There may have been one to the North as well. Rail travel is so expensive compared with the car so I imagine the price killed it.

• Like 1

There used to be car carrying trains to Stirling in Scotland too, but as you say, probably extremely expensive.

Also when I was van driving for a living in the late 90's, I regularly did over 500 miles in a day. Grantham to Ilfracombe was one. 

A 2.30 early morning start, for a 9-10 delivery. Breakfast  at Michaelwood Services about 7, on to Ilfracombe,  get tipped, then on the return, fish and chips in Barnstaple. Hess down for half an hour. Home between 6 and 8 depending on the traffic. If my van had been electric, I'd have been on the road for days.

Impossible with today's facilities.

I know someone with a new Renault Zoe electric car. The problem is, as I see it, are the costs involved running them are not quite as straight forward as they first appear.

After buying the car (£25k), you then need to consider the battery. They are sold separately, have an estimated life of 4 to 5 years, and cost around £6,500 - or you can, as he has, rent the battery. I think he said it's around £55 a month.

He tells me the quoted range (250 miles) is a little enthusiastic and 175 to 200 is closer to the mark but has never run out of volts so that is his estimate. Like normal cars  I suppose the mileage is dependant on the type of journey.

Depreciation is also is a big factor. I found an advert for a 2017 Zoe for sale at £12,000 with only 19 miles on the clock. That's a big drop in less than a year.

Selling the car is not quite straight forward if you rent the battery. You have to find a buyer willing to take on the rental or come to an arrangement with Renault to buy it.

A car like this with a four year old battery will probably be virtually worthless.

I think it’s too soon to buy an electric car. I’ll leave that to those who want to prove their green credentials whilst ignoring the fact that the energy and the consequent CO2 has got to be produced somewhere. I agree that ‘electrics’ produce no pollution in urban areas but as I rarely go urban that’s not my concern. There’s lots of development in the pipeline which will ultimately produce a minimal emission engine. It’s not better to be the first with a new gadget, there’s always something improved coming along. I’m prepared to wait. Price is a big consideration before there will be a mass market uptake.

They make hybrids, so once you get low on battery power, choose the engine, which you'd still use on long journeys. Sales of electric cars has dropped here, useless pieces of junk in a country where most people drive long distances, and commute much longer distances to work than in most countries.

I'm seeing more and more new pickup trucks on the roads as cars are getting so small, you'll be able to get four in a two car garage soon. Sardine cans on wheels. Pickups are much more comfortable than they used to be years ago, but I don't like tiny engines in full sized trucks!! V6's that only get 16mpg!! when a V8 5.5L will get up to 21mpg, seems a bit stupid to me.

I have an older pickup, I've had as much as 24mpg with a 5.7L V8 engine. (remember our gallons are smaller than UK gallons, so my mpg would be around 28 in UK galls.)

• 3 years later...

Mercs keep pestering me with E-mail offering a loan of the EQA series of cars. Still takes 90 mins to charge them even though it has a built in fast charger and then only goes 34 miles on battery before the engine cuts back in.

Hate to say but MB are falling behind likes of Hyundai and Kia

I do see lots of Teslas around the Southwell area but execs drive those to save on company car tax. If they need to do a longish journey they will borrow their wife's car! There will be 'range anxiety' until you can get at least 400 miles on a full charge. It will come though as will more realistic prices.

Denshaw, you say about 190 miles. Is that the company's figures on a test track or general motoring conditions. I should imagine weather, terrain and driving style would greatly affect the performance. 

They could always put trolley poles on cars, now that would be interesting. Trackless cars.

Hyundai say 193 mile range, the heat comes from a compressor and takes about 5 miles off the range. It's all dependant on temperature and speed you drive, some owners get about 220 miles. We rarely go more than 120 a day so it suits us.

For me 190 miles is not enough and it will be less than the maker’s claim anyway. When I do a 320 mile trip I don’t want to be looking for possible charging points on the return journey but it all depends on your lifestyle. I’ve looked at hybrids which would suit me fine for everyday use plus there is the comfort in knowing you can get home when the battery expires. It’s now been said that, for a number of reasons, hybrids are more polluting than conventional cars. I still think it’s early days for electrics and I’m happy for others to be the pioneers until the range is improved.

I expect there will be dozens of charging points installed at each service station on motorways, which will be good for the food providers there as people will plug their car in and then go for a meal while it charges up.