Minutiae - Bulwell Common and more

P.S. Bulwell Brian, I too was in Sherwood House at HPGS.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been delayed by trying to recall what I actually did for string...  The best I can come up with is that I gathered up all the various bits of string I could find, and tied them together.  Sometim

In this case I'm thinking of Bulwell Common and the finer details of how it has changed in my lifetime.   I drive past it pretty much everytime I'm home in Nottingham, but my how it has chan

Back behind my grandma's house in Netherfield were two large banks of cinders and gravel near a ditch which ultimately made it's way to the Trent.  I think it was a branch of the Ouse Dyke.  The kids

When walking along the old track bed a couple of years ago towards Bestwood Village, I noticed that there was some pieces of track still in situ. It was not long after veering right, from the Hucknall Rd - Moorbridge Rd junction. 

A few years ago I walked the Leen Valley track bed from the site of the old arch way ( Long demolished) at the Jn. of Bestwood Park Drive and Hucknall road.   I was with my brother and my sister in law.  We walked right round to where the footpath along the track bed drops down off the embankment and resumes on the other side of Bestwood Road.  We carried on along the pavement then up Park Road and through Bestwood Village.  We followed the route of the old railway from the colliery winding house up through the sandstone cutting and eventually back up to the Bewcastle Rd area where my brother lives.

We didn't spot any remaining track as described by Fly but then we spent a fair bit of our time head down avoiding heavy showers, so no doubt we missed it. Further along we saw some remains of brick footings, which we thought might be the remains if Bestwood Halt.  I know it was along Bestwood Rd/Moor Rd somewhere between Moorbridge and Park Road but not sure where.

I must walk the route again sometime.  Preferably in better weather.

Col

When I lived in Bestwood Village I used to cycle that track most days.........and I recall some Rails still there.........Also just before entering BV theres still an old Archway like the one you mentioned Col and Marble Arch as was,......on the track that goes over it you wouldn't know it was there,being completely overgrown..............

• Upvote 1

Come springtime, before everything gets overgrown, I'll have to retrace my steps, and see if I can find the track, and post its exact location.

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

.....Also just before entering BV theres still an old Archway like the one you mentioned Col and Marble Arch as was,......on the track that goes over it you wouldn't know it was there,being completely overgrown..............

This one ?  https://goo.gl/maps/ZTtFaQR95N62

• Upvote 4

Thanks cliff-ton.............thats the one,think its still used privately as i often see vehicles in there.........also bet Enigma knows it.............

My memory has dimmed over the years but I think the Bestwood Station building was close by the bridge over the road, the railway was on an embankment so the platforms must have up steps.

Thinking as I type this there were two bridges, one carrying the GNR and the other the line from the colliery to the Midland Railway. Did the line to the Midland go under the GNR by a bridge?

The station would have closed at the same time as Bulwell Forest Station.

I only remember two bridges.  One over the very bottom of Hucknall Rd just before Moor Bridge, which carried the Bestwood Park Branch off the Great Central.  The other was over Bestwood Road just beyond where Cliff has identified the Archway above. It carried the line from Bestwood Jn on the Hucknall-Bulwell (Midland?) line over Bestwood Rd to link with the Leen Valley line.  It was located where the current footpath leaves the right side of Bestwood Rd (heading to Bestwood Coliery) and resumes on thhe other side of the road heading I think to the ponds.

My brother says he recalls yet another bridge beyond Bestwood village somewhere on the way towards Linby and Papplewick.  He says it went round to Calverton. I can't remember.

Col

That other bridge col beyond Bestwood village is still there,it was the spot where when running during football training for BRSA Bulwell me and a couple of others would be at the back of the main pack and take a short cut......whilst the others would carry on to Papplewick..............we would run along the Rail track sit and have a fag and wait for the pack emerging South of Hucknall.

Then tag on at the back,overtaking them at Moorbridge and be back at the Railway club afore em,sinking a Pint......super fit we were............lol.

The bridge beyond Bestwood Village towards Papplewick was built in the late 1940's early 1950,s to serve the new colliery ot Calverton and connected to both the GN line and the Midland line. It was built as double track but I remember only one being used for trains the other being used to store wagons.

Thanks.  If you look on Google Maps the route of the line is still clearly visible.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/Bestwood+Colliery/@53.0297927,-1.1851725,3124m/data=!3m1!1e3

By the way.  What is Killarney Park? Some sort of holiday village?

Col

On 25/01/2017 at 7:13 PM, BulwellBrian said:

My memory has dimmed over the years but I think the Bestwood Station building was close by the bridge over the road, the railway was on an embankment so the platforms must have up steps.

Thinking as I type this there were two bridges, one carrying the GNR and the other the line from the colliery to the Midland Railway. Did the line to the Midland go under the GNR by a bridge?

The station would have closed at the same time as Bulwell Forest Station.

Bestwood station building still exists, but is barely recognisable. It has been extended and an extra storey added to turn it into a house. The GNR had a bridge over the Midland branch to Bestwood colliery and ironworks.

• Upvote 1

Just picked up this site and very happy to read about these memories.

I lived on Repton Road, a mere stones throw from Bulwell Common station and spent much of my formative years playing football and using the playground there.

I also spent a lot of time watching the trains and remember being frightened to death by some of the long heavy caol trains going south to the Trent Valley power stations.  We used to putcoins on the track to get them flattened.

I seem to remmeber a cycle track that rang along the side of the common on the railway side towards Hucknall Road.

The comments about Rigleys reminded me that the father of my friends, who lived on Cantrell Road, was the accountant at that firm.  They were twins and we were at the same schools from 4 - 18 years of age.  Cantrell Road, Highbury Vale and then High Pavement finally leaving in 1965.

Michael Moore

(now in Bolton)

Welcome Mike, and thanks for your memories. It seems that half the members on here either played or trainspotted in the area. 

Magical days !

Good to here from you Mike. Re #40 Anthony & Andrew Smith I think. I couldn't tell them apart.

I can't remember if you and I were acquainted in those days, I also went to High Pavement

Brian Wakelin now in Hertfordshire near St. Albans.

On 05/02/2017 at 8:43 PM, Xtmike said:

Just picked up this site and very happy to read about these memories.

I lived on Repton Road, a mere stones throw from Bulwell Common station and spent much of my formative years playing football and using the playground there.

I also spent a lot of time watching the trains and remember being frightened to death by some of the long heavy caol trains going south to the Trent Valley power stations.  We used to putcoins on the track to get them flattened.

I seem to remmeber a cycle track that rang along the side of the common on the railway side towards Hucknall Road.

The comments about Rigleys reminded me that the father of my friends, who lived on Cantrell Road, was the accountant at that firm.  They were twins and we were at the same schools from 4 - 18 years of age.  Cantrell Road, Highbury Vale and then High Pavement finally leaving in 1965.

Michael Moore

(now in Bolton)

Michael,

Welcome to Nottstalgia. I do believe that we have conversed on another site some years ago, but I can't remember which.  Were you in Little Hulton at some point and were you a Nalgo/Unison member?

Col

You can just about make out a double decker bus, probably a Trent, running alongside the Common. One of those houses just visible on the left horizon was ours.

Col

And that could be me Dad......going to catch 'Dickie Dido'....................

so many memories of that bit of Bulwell.........Dad taking me to work with him,...a day on the footplate of a steam Engine,having his snap in an old carriage in the sidings,and him reminding the other blokes not to swear 'in front of me lad'

• Upvote 3

Bet you knew my Dad Brian......and Grandad........he was Secretary of the NUR during the 50s,..he caught the 'Dido' every working day.......he was a 'Wheeltapper' at Annesley and Dad was a 'Shunter'............

Brian, do you know anything about the Lancaster Drift' at Bestwood Colliery?  I had thought that it was the first development of mining at Bestwood, but according to the very interesting site I have linked to here: 

http://www.healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/individual/Bob_Bradley/Bk-5/B5-1967-E.html

...it was only 'driven' around 1954. 

I'd love to know exactly where it was.

Col