Minutiae - Bulwell Common and more

I must have missed this,  https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/new-aldi-store-hucknall-road-3414317

Someone at Nottingham Live needs to learn the boundaries of the City districts.(or ask someone)

There certainly has been a lot of movement of material off the site.

I've not been out in that direction for a couple of weeks but went that way for a flu jab last Friday, and there was a massive pile of soil etc being loaded into lorries, 1 at a time.

They wouldn't have started if they weren't going to finish.

They originally said, 3 + years ago, that the foundations would have to be re-engineered as the well was exactly where they proposed piling.

Either they've moved the building slightly or they're going to pile either side of the hole.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been delayed by trying to recall what I actually did for string...  The best I can come up with is that I gathered up all the various bits of string I could find, and tied them together.  Sometim

In this case I'm thinking of Bulwell Common and the finer details of how it has changed in my lifetime.   I drive past it pretty much everytime I'm home in Nottingham, but my how it has chan

Back behind my grandma's house in Netherfield were two large banks of cinders and gravel near a ditch which ultimately made it's way to the Trent.  I think it was a branch of the Ouse Dyke.  The kids

Well yesterday Stu, the soil had almost gone. I've got to nip out for some bread later, so I'll have a peep, and try and have a word with someone.

Ask them if things are going WELL.  :crazy:

And we can look forward to several weeks of delays on Hucknall rd as they widen the road to 3 lanes at the entrance.

Turn right lane into Aldi being added.

I seem to recall they should have done that before excavations started, they've had enough time!!

Oh yeah ! And get a smack in the mouth from some irate Paddy !

It should have been widened ages ago as you say. In fact I believe that years ago, there were plans to dual the stretch from Arnold Rd, to the junction with Bestwood Rd. 

I can well imagine. I often walk from the Arnold Rd Coop , under the bridge, then along the old railway embankment.

It's appalling. Broken glass, dog crap, rubbish dumped over the fence from Andover residents, and other assorted junk .

Alternatively, from Tesco's in the opposite direction, it's not too bad until Gala Way. It's sad that so few people have any pride in their communities and surrounding areas these days. 

Onr good thing though, I collect a few acorns to feed my local squirrel pack, and I've seen jays up near Arnold Rd bridge occasionally.

I've had a couple, may not be the same couple, of Squirrels running along my fence and up and down my trees for years.

This year they've started getting a lot closer to the house.

Searching planning and noticed they're putting a refuge on the opposite end to the ped crossing, roughly where the crossing used to be, till they moved it a few years ago.

The long brown strip is the land Aldi are having to give up the the widening

62UQLAC.png

Better than nothing I suppose. I bet there'll be some cracking accidents outstanding, as nobody wants to give way these days.

No, different squirrels Stu.

49 minutes ago, Stuart.C said:

The Oak Tree huggers stopped the widening from Arnold road.

Now then Stu,,,i reckon the tree Huggers are correct,,,keep the footpath (ex railway line) and the Trees that run along it,,,but still make the road between Arnold road and Kersall drive 3 lanes by demolishing all the houses on the other side,,,would also solve the rubbish problem,as i reckon its those householders that launch their rubbish towards Andover road..........LOL.

• Like 2

Well Benjamin, you rascal you. You'll have me made homeless ! noblue

• Like 1

Sorry fly but one must make sacrifices,,,lol,,

Over the years iv'e known many people on your side of the road,,,from schoolboy days to,,

dating and delivering for Marsdens,,  Percy Abbott,,Brian Clarke,,Margaret Handley,,Mrs Timberlake,,Miss Mabel Thorpe,,(Paton road),Christine Beale and Sandra Moody,,,

Also used to go Carol singing along there,,,don't know why,, most told us to clear off.........

• Upvote 1

Carol singing ! Bleddy ruffians, urchins and scoundrels from tuther side of the tracks casing the joints in order to nick our Christmas pressies ! LOL

Good and not so good everywhere I'm afraid Ben, as we've said before.  There's some real oiks along here. Big cars, but live like pigs in filth ! 

Still, my conscience is clear. A decent drive, lovely back garden and a regularly swept pavement. 

• Like 1

Glad to see someone else sweeps the pavement outside their house, after all its where you live, keep it clean and tidy. PS keep your bloody leaves to your self , I have more than enough of my own.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

still make the road between Arnold road and Kersall drive 3 lanes by demolishing all the houses on the other side,,,

Would solve the parking problem and smashed mirrors that they have as well.

I thought the widening / use of the railway as another lane was a good idea untill it was mentioned over 100 Oak trees would need cutting down.

I never used to mind queuing along there, I used to have a company van and was paid home to home.

No loss to me.

• Like 1

Yes, the oaks are fantastic, despite most of them shedding their leaves on my property !

Things are ok, and still will be even after Aldi's is operating. If drivers can't look both ways, and pull out / across safely, it's a poor show.

• Like 1

Yes Stu,,many have been there since i was a lad in the 50s,,,love that stretch of Path and trees between Arnold road and Marble Arch,,brings back so many memories.............

• Upvote 1

Next time I'm  up that way I'm  gonna have a look for a well swept pavement and a tidy drive, then I'll  know it's  your gaff Fly.

You mention the bridge at Arnold rd/Hucknall rd., I  remember when I  were about 11, I  were in Heathfield isolation hospital with my youngest brother, John and we used to look out across to that bridge and count the number of coal wagons passing by, pulled by a steam loco. Was hospitalised for about 3 months wih Gastro- Enteritis, so had plenty of time to watch the trains. Don't  know where they were heading to but hazard a guess toward Victoria station way. No doubt somebody will enlighten me. Remember as we were getting better, we were allowed out onto the grounds with a nurse who took us over to where they kept pigs so we could see the trains closer up. Amazing thing is, whenever I  pass farm buildings, that rural smell always reminds me of the stay in Heathfield hospital... Odd that. Another bit of useless information.

• Like 2

They could have been full, and heading south to Colwick. Otherwise empties could have been heading back in the other direction  to any number of north Notts collieries. Empties heading north via any route were often given priority over almost anything else, as there was nothing worse than delaying coal production at the pits. 

Anyway B, I'll get the biscuits in !

Once went to Highbury hospital, Hucknall road entrance, to have a big toenail removed. Don't think it's there now. Another bit of trivia.

Highbury hospital still there Bk,,but no where near hucknall road,,think you mean heathfield hospital?  

Still there Phil,,think its for psychiatric patients now,,so they might remove big toe nails. Lol

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Highbury hospital still there Bk,,but no where near hucknall road,,think you mean heathfield hospital?  

Hi Ben, probably got my roads wrong. But didn't mean Heathfield hospital, I know where that is/was, I spent three months in there, (see previous post). 

Just realised, I'd gone to the psychiatric hospital to attend a seminar a week after going to Highbury hospital. That's how I got em mixed up. Sorry about that. Call it a senior moment.

Thats what they all say Barrie....lol

Actually did some interviews in there,,,long story and probably no one believe it....Off subject(slightly) i know,, but just had a text conversation with my brother who is working in Goole at the moment,,,and told him about when i interviewed a man there accused of murdering his best friend,,,it was in his flat and he kept talking to his Budgie  ''who loves you Billy'' he kept saying,,,bit scary to be honest,,,nearly gave him a job.......lol....

Sorry had a bit of a ramble then,,