Minutiae - Bulwell Common and more

Can't remember much about it Ben. Think it was something to do with us having had two disabled sons. What services were available around that time, ( virtually bugger all !).

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been delayed by trying to recall what I actually did for string...  The best I can come up with is that I gathered up all the various bits of string I could find, and tied them together.  Sometim

In this case I'm thinking of Bulwell Common and the finer details of how it has changed in my lifetime.   I drive past it pretty much everytime I'm home in Nottingham, but my how it has chan

Back behind my grandma's house in Netherfield were two large banks of cinders and gravel near a ditch which ultimately made it's way to the Trent.  I think it was a branch of the Ouse Dyke.  The kids

Back on the topic of Boowul Common.

My brother called me this evening to say that a workmate of his was saying that Bulwell Hall Golf Course was re-opening..after a couple of years closed. ( He didn't know it was closed)

Next though.. his workmate said that as Boowul Hall was re-opening... Boowul Forest GC was to close and be built on.

Neither my Brother or me can find any evidence of this.. but nothing would surprise me when it comes to Nottm CC.  The thing is.. although attempts have been made to destroy it by planting the wrong trees on the 'Forest' ..it remains essentially a piece of increasingly rare 'Heathland' and should be preserved as such.. whatever might happen to the Golf Course.  The course itself is one of the oldest in the country,, but the land it is on is basically coarse wiry grass and Gorse..with the odd Birch tree.  It always was.. and I believe still is.. a haven for assorted increasingly rare insects, Lizards, plants etc. 

It is bad enough tearing up 'green field' farmland for building.  It's even worse destrying Heathland and other rare habitats.

I hope it is a false rumour.. but if anyone has heard anything.. please let me know.

Hi Kev,

That is certainly a reference to Bulwell Hall GC.. which is sort of at the far end of Boowul Hall Park and used to pretty much border on the old Hucknall Airfield as far as I recall. The reference to a 'three year refurb'  may explain what my Bro was told was a 'closure'.  I'm a bit less impressed by the glowing terms in which the CC describe the place.  Pretty flat and featureless as I recall.

So.. the question remains as to whether the CC intend to close Boowul FOREST GC.. which is I think older..and far more interesting.. though it does have a the disadvantage of having Hucknall Rd along the whole of its Eastern boundary.  I've explained before how this was barely an issue in the past as vehicles along Hucknall Rd were counted in maybe 10s per hour way back in the 50s.. but it is much busier now.

Purely from a personal POV I could deal with the closure of the course on the Forest.. but I would be extremely p'd off if they built on it.  It needs preserving... not something Nottm CC has a good track record in.

• Like 1

Our past our childhood memories,, our courting days,,all to be built on?

Ive never been on a protest in my life,,but I'd march with a banner to save Bulwell Common,,

Keep it common land for the common people,,not houses for people to buy then rent out to poorer people,,,

Come the revolution,,,, 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I’m certainly up for saving Bulwell Common. I remember many cross country runs around there and in summer, in the sixth form, we were trusted to go up there to play tennis on games afternoons. I also recollect a couple of liaisons with local lasses, the least said about that the better - other than that Bulwell girls are very forward aren’t they!

• Like 1

Bet you recall the building (Pavilion like) on top of the first hill after the football Pitches and just before the Cricket square Phil....as a Bestwood estate boy it was on our doorstep.......Padstow school didnt have a Cricket Pitch area despite all the land it covered...so all our home fixtures were on the Common....Played football on Bulwell Common from aged about 5 or 6 up to in my 30s......other sports played there were Tennis and Bowls...

When i drive past now...in my minds eye i can see all my old mates from the 50s on.......they just cant build on it .....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I do indeed Ben. It always evokes memories when I pass that way although I don’t do that very often now. We used to run up Kersall Drive, along St. Albans, over the common down past the golf course to the railway bank, under the bridge and back up St. Albans. The longer run took us over Hucknall Rd. and out into farmland before returning through the bridge. Not being a team player I enjoyed cross country and was school champion. ‘The loneliness of the long distance runner’!

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I wasn't entirely sure there to post this.. but I'm sure some will be interested. It was forwarded to me by my brother and is advertising the sale of what was the old Bestwood Estate as originally gifted by Charles II to his son by Nell Gwynne, to whom he gave the title Duke of St Albans.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WXys8McT4j91cxNK8

• Like 1