Don't Be So Bleddy Mardy!

Well, you can never go home again...so they say.

My mum was from Strelley, dad from Sneinton. I was born in Bridgford - we lived in the council houses in Edwalton for years. I got out of Nottm in 1982 and hit the M1 for 'The Smoke' - reappearing for a few months in 83-84 - and never went back. Lived in the USA, Israel, Sweden, Mexico and now Canada.

Mixed feelings about Nottingham - like I never really knew it very well...just a lot of jumbled-up pictures in the head: The Gaumont cinema (where I saw my first film, 'The Aristocats') and the County Hotel opposite, next to the Theatre Royal. I remember Carrington Street before Broad Marsh was built and walking down Meadow Lane - the old man half-pissed after several hours in The Bendigo while his folks looked after me in their little house on Sneinton Hollows - to catch the bus on Arkwright Street (right by Andy Bone). The park behind the West Bridgford UDC offices on Central Avenue - they had a yellow-painted tractor set on concrete blocks that I played on while the old man went to pay the rent. The old Wilford Brick Pits in the fields between Ruddington Lane and Walcote Drive. The big crash barrier on the BR rail test track by the old Edwalton station. The toll bridge at Wilford - when you could drive down Queen's Drive (?) under all the oak trees and across the bridge. Goose Fair, picking up all the .22 brass cartridge cases after the fair had gone to take them to a scrapper. I remember the opening of the Victoria Centre - an eerie experience as there were still lots of empty shop units. I remember catching the Midland General buses from Mount Street (B8) to go see Gran in Bilborough - Mount St bus station was a horrible place; the scary walk past the never fitted shop-units, dark and gloomy. The Odeon and the ABC cinemas (not forgetting the Savoy, on Derby Road).

You can never go home again...perhaps I never wanted to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Yes, enjoyed that ado, good post. I bought my Carlton from Andy Bones mid-sixties, lovely bike.

Interesting about the yellow tractor in WB park too. It was still there in the eighties, I could never get my youngest lad off it.

• 3 weeks later...

Crikey, 71 years in Mansfield. I managed a store in Mansfield for a couple of years in the '90s. Interesting experience, a very insular place and at the time I think, it was noted as having the highest murder rate in the UK. If customers had any sort of problem, I'd get invited to go out to discuss it in the car-park, or told they'd be waiting for me after work, all sorts of threats..... and that was just the women. The only place I've worked round the country I was glad to see the back of.

• Upvote 2

I remember the first Christmas, I'd only been there a few weeks, I took the staff out for a bit of a do, about thirty-odd folks plus their partners. Got me wallet out and bought the first round. After that each one bought their own drinks seperately.  :angry:

Gadzooks!

Never realised Mansfield was that bad- went to art college there, it was a bit like Bulwell... but with a Wakefields.

Syd Booth's was a brilliant record shop- the only bother i had was a driver on the 345 closed the doors...backed out ..and pulled away with my folder trapped in the doors..and me clinging to the exterior chrome handles!!

Did throw a mardy though.

Funny place Mansfield,worked there a lot over the years in retail and Security........retail was the big Coop and Coop in Woodhouse,and back in the 60s Vernons on Queenst and Marsdens on Church street.........obviously did a bit of courting there Christine who lived on Robinsons Hill,and oh yes got beat up behind the Picture house..........made me really angry ripped me new Italian suit lol.

As for Worksop worked there as well 'Savemore' on Bridge st and the Coop opposite,at the risk of boring you wont mention Sybil.............

• Upvote 1

My mother had a friend who lived in Mansfield on Blackscotch Lane. They'd served together in the war. She married a local chap, a miner. Lovely couple. We visited them often.

Mansfield itself is an odd sort of place. My maternal grandfather called it "a dead and alive hole" whatever that means.

I was based there, working for Notts County Council until pretty recently. Not somewhere I'd want to live!

I remember Mansfield open market 1949/51. Dad had a stall next to the statue which I assume was Queen Victoria. The stock room was a stone stable just up an alley. Spent many a Saturday in there among the old, unsaleable stock of books and toys.

I liked Mansfield Market on a Friday...extended my lunch hour when at West Notts Art College.. two good record stalls( Brian Selby) started on this market.

Four Seasons does look a little tired...like the way the local plod plaster posters of undesirables who are banned from boozing in the town.

• 5 years later...

Talking of MARDY , That's what my sister would say to me whilst waiting for the bus to school in the middle of a frozen january , "shut up you mardy baby , you're so nesh" as i cried with hotaches in me hands and feet , i was only 6 a d a little midget gem !

On 11/9/2016 at 12:13 PM, Ado64 said:

Well, you can never go home again...so they say.

My mum was from Strelley, dad from Sneinton. I was born in Bridgford - we lived in the council houses in Edwalton for years. I got out of Nottm in 1982 and hit the M1 for 'The Smoke' - reappearing for a few months in 83-84 - and never went back. Lived in the USA, Israel, Sweden, Mexico and now Canada.

Mixed feelings about Nottingham - like I never really knew it very well...just a lot of jumbled-up pictures in the head: The Gaumont cinema (where I saw my first film, 'The Aristocats') and the County Hotel opposite, next to the Theatre Royal. I remember Carrington Street before Broad Marsh was built and walking down Meadow Lane - the old man half-pissed after several hours in The Bendigo while his folks looked after me in their little house on Sneinton Hollows - to catch the bus on Arkwright Street (right by Andy Bone). The park behind the West Bridgford UDC offices on Central Avenue - they had a yellow-painted tractor set on concrete blocks that I played on while the old man went to pay the rent. The old Wilford Brick Pits in the fields between Ruddington Lane and Walcote Drive. The big crash barrier on the BR rail test track by the old Edwalton station. The toll bridge at Wilford - when you could drive down Queen's Drive (?) under all the oak trees and across the bridge. Goose Fair, picking up all the .22 brass cartridge cases after the fair had gone to take them to a scrapper. I remember the opening of the Victoria Centre - an eerie experience as there were still lots of empty shop units. I remember catching the Midland General buses from Mount Street (B8) to go see Gran in Bilborough - Mount St bus station was a horrible place; the scary walk past the never fitted shop-units, dark and gloomy. The Odeon and the ABC cinemas (not forgetting the Savoy, on Derby Road).

You can never go home again...perhaps I never wanted to.

Funny that you mentioned that ,the film the aristocats ,  remember our grandma bostock taking me and my brother kev to see that when we were nippers , my granny fell asleep and her false teeth kept rattling and whistling  me and our kid either side of her had a fit of the giggles , it was funnier than the film !!!