Last year, 2015, from May to September I visited dear old Nottingham. The last time was 2005. I noticed quite a lot of changes too. Especially since when I left Nottingham for good in 1975.

As always a very colourful and busy city. The girls are just as pretty as they were in the 1960s and 1970s!

Those trams are great, I remember well the old trolley buses. I wonder why they ever did away with them.

It was great to have a wander around the Meadows, so many changes since I lived there. I had a job finding my way around.

But managed to get to see some cricket at Trent Bridge and later pilgrimages to Meadow Lane and The City Ground, even though the latter was in "Bread and lard island" . . . love it!

I had a girlfriend who lived in Ebenezer Terrace, just off Wilford Road (I think) I often wonder how she is . . She was my first love of course :-) Saturday nights at the Palais and Sunday nights at Coleman's. Those were the days. 

I see that they have moved the water clock from the front ground floor of the Victoria Centre and tucked it away at the rear exit on the first floor, what a pity. I loved the sand in the Market Square and all the kids having a ball. The ethnic food stalls and beer tent were great fun, But I still loved a pint in "The Bell". There is so much to see and do, I got quite sentimental . . 

Hope to visit again next year. 

• Upvote 5

Get back soon hawarden. There are many stalls in the square selling festive goodies. 

I think we can do without the sand in future though. Glad you still like the Bell. Still one of the best pubs in town. 

Yes, the girls are still pretty, and the best of the 60's and 70's turned out to be still attractive now that they are in their 60's & 70's.

• Upvote 2

FLY, you got a like from me because of your last sentence!!  Was that a creeping way of getting more likes?

• Upvote 1

The little bar on the right is ok. I know what you mean though. 

8 hours ago, hawarden said:

I had a girlfriend who lived in Ebenezer Terrace, just off Wilford Road (I think)

This might bring back a few memories, even though it looks like a lot of other Meadows terraces.

ebenezer_zpshm576uin.jpg

I presume that's not her with the shopping bag.

• Upvote 1

Lovely ornate brickwork, they rarely do stuff like that these days.

FLY2 (#2), I was with my wife in the Market Square last week and found it full of foreign food stalls. Despite all the different foods being cooked we chose the Hog Roast. The chap was really generous with the meat as he put it onto our cobs. After putting the stuffing and apple sauce on we sat on the wall and enjoyed our food as we enjoyed the atmosphere in the Square. After we'd finished we looked at the stalls we'd missed and came across a cake stall. The cakes were the sort that had you drooling and, after a lot of thought, we decided to have a Baileys Cream flavoured cake each. We sat at a table to eat them and, because they were so big, I had to nibble at it from the sides to prevent the cream going all over the place. My wife was laughing at me because I was getting the cream all over my nose and mouth but I didn't care, it was scrumptious. :)

• Upvote 4
21 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

This might bring back a few memories, even though it looks like a lot of other Meadows terraces.

ebenezer_zpshm576uin.jpg

I presume that's not her with the shopping bag.

She may well be her, who knows  :-) Thanks for posting the picture. I assume that that part of the Meadows has all gone now.

23 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Get back soon hawarden. There are many stalls in the square selling festive goodies. 

I think we can do without the sand in future though. Glad you still like the Bell. Still one of the best pubs in town. 

Yes, the girls are still pretty, and the best of the 60's and 70's turned out to be still attractive now that they are in their 60's & 70's.

Hi FLY2,

Hope to come back to Notts next year. Love your list of interests and dislikes, especial steam trains, heres my local one;

www.wekapassrailway.co.nz The steam locomotive, number 428 was built the same year as the Titanic!

Not quite "Mallard" but not bad for us out here in the colonies! I visited many steam railways in the UK last year, they are great.

I see Forest are struggling this season and Notts seems to be having a better start.

New owners are apparently taking over within the next couple of months, but it'll be the same procedure of changing managers and players. I just wish things were settled and let the staff get on with the job. Constant change is mostly unnecessary.