I've just read this article in the Nottingham Post which will please some of us.

There's also a report about the Central Library being sold to a development company.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/400-000-worth-of-improvements-to-the-aboretum-start-next-week/story-29894697-detail/story.html

• Upvote 2

What great news, my sisters and I and our friends used to spend days there in the summer and when I had my own children I used to take them too,I shall look forward to going again.

Good news about the library too.

Good News! 

Always liked the Arboretum and it is long overdue for a visit from me next time I get the chance.

A quick look at the 'Comments' under the news article shows that the 'Council Tax Payers Committee for Moaning About Paying For Anything That Isn't What We Want' are in full voice already..

4 hours ago, poohbear said:

Of no use to people like me unless there is a public toilet.

I suppose there'll be facilities in the proposed Cafe and Pub, but I take your point.  Trouble is they are always so difficult and expensive to manage and keep both clean and vandal free.

Re the closure of the toilets years ago Col. It wasn't the vandalism and the cleaning costs that were the trouble.

It was constant unsavoury behaviour by certain members of our sick society.

Great news RR. At least I won't have to nip down the road to the Uni Cafe now. 

51 minutes ago, radfordred said:

#5 #7 #8 I attended the Nottingham Green Festival in September I can confirm there is male & female public toilets on the Arboretum. 

Only at weekends & bank holidays tho red ?

I vainly attempted to sleep under a laurel bush there one November night about 50 years ago after an exceptional heavy evening. 

I was 5hit scared about 2.30. Noises, rustling and bleddy ducks waddling around and quacking. 

It was less nerve wracking walking down Ilkeston Rd back to Wollaton at that ungodly hour. Never again !

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As I know toilets on arboretum only open when there s an event on park.

think they going to have some Christmas event in December they usually do Christmas carols and that at band stand

The cafe will be good when done as at present there's no where on park for people to get a drink .hot tea or coffee.etc..

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Who were the people who said "It was much needed"? obviously not needed enough, another waste of tax payers money

Rog

• 4 months later...

The café can now do hot food again.

The arboretum generally seems much tidier than it was a few months ago. The litter problem seems to have been tackled. (I hope these are not famous last words!)