Afternoon all,this morning went to Hobbycraft with my daughter on the way there we passed buildings that looked like they were an old railway station for the life of me I can't remember a station there ,its now a gym and near counties football ground,any ideas.

I thought it was the original Midland Rly station. 

Yes NBL, the High Level Stn was on the viaduct heading east from Weekday Cross Junction.

Hi, I'm new on here and this is probably my first post but I'll sort the intro elsewhere.

This thread on the old London Rd Station was of interest as I began my apprenticeship with British Rail as a Signalling Technician at this depot the day after August Bank Holiday 1974.

Looking at the link above I seem to remember that the gas works had gone. The GC bridge over London Road was still there for a few years more.

The low level station at that time was a goods station and I used to take a short cut through there to get to the station for my train back to Long Eaton after work.

The old goods storage shed was the Nottingham Division S&T stores, and as apprentices we weren't allowed out on track until we were 18 so this is one of the first places we worked/trained when we weren't at Tech.

I'm not sure about the main building of the old Corn store, but there was a ground level annexe on the western end of the building that housed the engineers, supervisors and the area engineer.

This facility existed up until the late 70's I believe. It was closed then as the maintenance sections were rationalised with Nottingham division being taken over by Derby. I left the Railway in 1979 - as a technician based at Trent Junction, Long Eaton, I was as high as I was going to get - dead mans shoes as they used to say.

• Upvote 1

Welcome JRD.  Hope you'll keep posting.

Your comment about the S&T stores brought back a memory of a comment a second cousin of mine made years ago.  He worked for them also and said they referred to it as the Sick and Tired crowd.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:42 AM, loppylugs said:

Welcome JRD.  Hope you'll keep posting.

Your comment about the S&T stores brought back a memory of a comment a second cousin of mine made years ago.  He worked for them also and said they referred to it as the Sick and Tired crowd.

There were many.........Sad & Tormented was another that came to mind.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

The petrol variant was normally a single wheeled rear axle with diesel being twin wheeled, also the diesel had a "Bullnose" front whereas the petrol had a flat front.

The one above being petrol !

Also you could get out of either front seat turn around & walk straight through to the back of the van.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, trogg said:

Me to caftan, worked there 69-70 0n wholesale, I broke both back springs one day, honest I wasn't speeding I was just in a hurry.

We were there at the same time then ! Leic retail, double crew.

• Like 2
On 3/29/2018 at 11:49 PM, IAN123. said:

Hope these photos are suitably situated here.having worked in both 

W/houses in this area ..and frequented this pub after the Antique centre closed..saw the old grain building on fire more than once.nottingham_brubaker12.1980_london_road_h.This dated 1980,Audio and Baby floors pictured at Boots.nottingham_brubaker12.1980_london_road_hsame session . 1980Nottingham15.jpg1981 before closure and W81 factory.

Boots chimney in the background.3527368013_3267fbea8d.jpgAfter the Boots full MOT medical..i'd nip in this Cafe for a bacon butty and a pint mug of tea.

Me & a mate has a Saturday job helping out there in that cafe when we were school kids.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Ian, nice pics. did you have access to the East Block roof for the 3rd. picture? I posted a couple some time ago looking the other way taken from the Print works roof. (I was in the Litho dept. for 12 years, 1980-92)

• Like 2