This has just appeared on  a Facebook Classic British vehicles group I am on.

1949 Nottingham City registered Bedford OB believed to be Melton bus station

5upap0.jpg

• Upvote 2

I went to Melton Mobray in '69 to answer a speeding offence & travelled on one of those double deck Barton buses similar to Cliff Ton's picture, blimey talk about slow, one of those would never be done for speeding !

Embarrassing !

In late 71/early 72, when living in Langar, I had to get to Melton for my ante natal visits. The bus came from Bingham, and stopped at every little village between there and Melton. Took an age to get there, I remember there was one village we couldn't drive through like the rest, and had to back up, and turn around before carrying on. I had 1 bus to get me there on time, and only 1 to get back. Made sure I didn't miss either one.

• Upvote 2

I remember me and my parents passing an elderly Barton bus, broken down on the climb up Broughton Hill on the way to Melton - probably in the early 1960s. I was very young at the time, but I remember seeing the passengers walking up the hill and leaving the bus behind. I assume they thought it would be quicker to walk to Melton than wait for another bus.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

Look what it says on the bus ! BARTON , Barton's were the owners of the company.

In another topic, I mentioned a 'Barton Farm' up the A614. The writing on the farm sign at the roadside is identical to the Barton Bus Co logo. Presumably the same owners. Anyone verify ?

• Like 1

Saw that farm sign my self when we were coming back from the meetup on Wednesday and thought of the bus company straight away because of the logo

Rog

Distinctive isn't it Rog. I'm surprised it's not been mentioned previously, except by me.

A work colleagues husband worked at Bartons in the early 60's as a coach painter, and he gave me enough paint to hand paint my old MG. The colour was actually called Chinese Red. 

I liked their busses, as they were distinctive with their aluminium strips along the side, and the older ones with their flared sides at the bottom.

Exactly.... Even in model form.

• Like 1

Yes FLY it's the same family. I lived in the second house after the railway bridge going north. The first house was Bartons managing director. My son was born there and called his wife aunty Barti, nice people to us but no idea what they were like to work for. Next is Big Tythe farm and the next house after that was also was a Barton (Karl I think). Grand old man Barton lived in the grounds of Newstead Abbey.

• Like 1

Thanks Brew. Small world eh ? I regularly use the A614, and have always admired the rural setting. 

Dad always said to me as a kid, that 'Once you're over Redhill, you're in the countryside'. Spot on I always reckoned.

We lived there as newlweds. Yes living in the countryside was good but we quickly learned that running out of essentials was a disaster, the nearest shops were a six mile round trip and public transport did not exist out there. Not a bad walk with the pushchair in summer but winter was an altogether different story.

I can imagine Brew. Lovely area though. 

I've just looked on EBay, and if anyone is interested, there's several models of different  types of Barton bus for sale.

• Like 1