Hucknall shop

Wonder if anyone can help me please?

I recently discovered that I had a great aunt who owned a shop in hucknall opposite the byron cinema. 

I'm trying to trace more about her business which I understand was either a hardware store or haberdashery. 

I know she died April 2012 at the age of 98 and her name is May Barnett.

If anyone has any information on this shop or her then I would be very interested to hear from you.

Many thanks.

I don't know Hucknall but am assuming the shop was in the region of 2 or 4 High Street ?

I can't see anything for a May Holmes in that vicinity . What years do you think she was there ?

Maybe someone with a Kelly's directory can spot her ?

You would expect to see May Holmes on the 1911 Census .

In the 1939 Register , can see the Barnett family living at 42 Betts St , Hucknall .

Samuel Barnett born 1889

Annie Barnett born 1908

+ (presume their 2 children Samuel and Dennis).

Also listed is a John Holmes born 1893 who is probably a brother to Annie .

There is also an unlisted person (maybe May ?). Was she in the Forces in the war ?

In the1911 Census living at 14 Gilbert St ,Hucknall Torkard is

John Holmes born Selston 1870

Ada Holmes (wife)born1876

John Holmes (son) born 1893

Edith born 1899

Clara born 1900

Sarah born 1903

Annie born 1908

Can only deduce that May was born after the 1911 Census or she was elsewhere at the time .

Thank you so much for this information, samuel and annie were my grandparents and their son samuel was my dad (died 2012) Dennis his brother also deceased 

There was a sister beryl and another son george to samuel and annie. 

The reason I'm making enquiries is because I have been contacted by a heir hunter company who are researching this woman called May holmes who was apparently annies sister! 

I had no idea she existed but have been told she owned a shop in hucknall! 

The plot deepens!!!

It was behind the bus stop, the Hardware shop, was called Locks or Lodgers, next door to a hairdresser's called Flossie Brown (Tudor Salon) on the High Street, I knew all the shops in the ow back then, I grew up in Hucknall, was born 1945 and lived on Station Terrace........

It's a bit of a puzzle !

There are 3 possible May Holmes born between 1910 and 1912 in Basford District (which I believe covers Hucknall) .

Thats computing the date of birth from the details of death you gave .

1)May Holmes born 2nd Qtr 1910 mothers maiden name-Brown (ref 7B 275)

2)May Holmes born 2nd Qtr 1911 mothers maiden name ? (not given)    (ref 7B 212)

3)May Holmes born 2nd Qtr 1911 mothers maiden name -Severn (ref 7b 269)

Can't find a marriage for  Holmes / Severn in Notts .!!

Need to see the birth certs to find out who the fathers full name is unfortunately .

Couple of off the wall thoughts.....

Could John Holmes senior or John Holmes junior born 1893 , have fathered an illegitimate child to a Miss Severn but taken the child on ?

Could either John Holmes have fathered an illegitimate child to a Miss ? , hence the blank space . Mind you John Holmes junior would be only 18 at the time in both cases .

We need an expert !! Ann ????

There was 2 hardware shops on the High Street back then, Locks and Lodgers, I cannot remember which one was which, I think Lodger's was the one further up the town, run by a family called Allwood..........I think the one we are talking about was called Locks, we shopped there, sold all sorts of Hardware...........It was a very old shop back then in the 50's an old man and woman served in there..........

14 hours ago, sweetpea said:

, ( maybe they could help you)Wonder if anyone can help me please?

I recently discovered that I had a great aunt who owned a shop in hucknall opposite the byron cinema. 

I'm trying to trace more about her business which I understand was either a hardware store or haberdashery. 

I know she died April 2012 at the age of 98 and her name is May Barnett.

If anyone has any information on this shop or her then I would be very interested to hear from you.

Many thanks.

I remember the shop as I was born in Hucknall in 1945, my name was Lynn Housley and I lived on Station Terrace......... the shop was called Lock's or Lodgers, an elderly couple ran it back in the 50's/60's.......there was 2 hardware shops on the High Street and I believe the one you mention was Locks, was almost opposite the Byron Cinema, next door was Flossie Brown's hairdresser's (called Tudor Salon), the other hardware shop was further up the High Street, opposite the old Woolworth's store was called Lodger's run by a family called Allwoods, they had a son called Peter and a daughter called June who were connected with the Empire Club on Beardall Street - (Maybe they could help you, they would be in their 70's now)............I cannot remember any family called Holmes, but I recall Betts Street and Gilbert Street, old houses which were pulled down...........There was a popular Newsagents on the corner of High Street /Station Road called Roy Allsebrooks, maybe if you contacted them they could help you............

The other shops joining up to them were, Skeavington and Payne, electrical shop, Sarah Bodill's hairdresser, Butler's bread shop, a Tobacconist, another bread shop and a fish and chip shop.........Lots of families called Browns, Butlers and Bodills live in the town.......... they were mostly shops and building companies....................hope this helps you.......  good luck

Why not try contacting the Hucknall Dispatch weekly paper.....leave a message, I am sure someone will be able to help you as a lot of the original Hucknall folk never leave the town..........

I am certain that the shop was called Locks back in the 50/60's, run by an elderly couple back then .....there was another hardware shop further up the High Street called Lodger's, run by a family called Allwood's, they had a son Peter and a daughter called June who will be in the 70's now, thy are connected with the Empire Club on Beardall Street.........There was also a bread shop called Butler's a couple of doors away, they had a son called David who would be about 72 now.........I left Hucknall in 1968 and things have changed a lot since then............

Maybe Hucknall Council Offices can help you...........

Thank you everyone for this  information, I have a good starting point now to take it forward. my goal is to discover more about this great aunt I never knew about. It's a bit of a 'who do you think you are' going off in me! 

My dad (samuel) never spoke of his family so lots of stuff is unknown.  

I think the sound of Locks will be the one, she never married but might have had a gentleman friend working with her as it has been mentioned it was run by an elderly couple. 

Thank you again everyone for you time and input.

In the London Gazette there's a liquidation notice dated 7th Oct 1969 for

Locks Hardware Stores Ltd. 41 High St.Hucknall .

Liquidators name is Allan Wagstaff of 31b Church St. Mansfield ....doubt they are still going nearly 50 years later but worth making enquiries . Maybe the local archives would have some info . Whilst there worth checking the local newspapers around that date .

5 hours ago, woody said:

Lockes went on to be Locke & Morton and had a shop on Watnall Road just before Hansons Undertakers.

And they went into liquidation March 1981 , liquidators , same as above .

• 1 year later...

Hi sweet pea,

i think from reading this thread my grandma is a niece of may too.. she is trying to find information (mostly a photo) of her grandparents John and Ada Holmes? I wonder if you have any information about that side of the family? 

Thankyou

kirsty 

I recall Lodges (or Lodgers) hardware shop by the bus shelter and opposite (I think) the Salvation Army Citadel. There was a twitchell on the left of the shop and on the other corner of the twitchell was Dewhurst's Butchers

Locks (or Lock & Morton) hardware was further up the High Street more or less opposite Boots and very near to Nellie Ricks and Cecil Bowd

On 06/01/2018 at 1:18 PM, Kirstyjade said:

Hi sweet pea,

.. she is trying to find information (mostly a photo) of her grandparents John and Ada Holmes? 

Can only really repeat what's said above ......In the1911 Census living at 14 Gilbert St ,Hucknall Torkard is

John Holmes born Selston 1870

Ada Holmes (wife)born1876

John Holmes (son) born 1893

Edith born 1899

Clara born 1900

Sarah born 1903

Annie born 1908

(In an earlier 1871 Census ,  John Holmes is living with his father Simon Holmes also born Selston , living at Building Street , Hucknall Torkard .)

There are a number of possible deaths for a John Holmes born c1871, in Basford District , one in 1924 and another in 1930 .

Can't decide if Ada Holmes maiden name is Barratt or Barnett !

• Like 1