The last tailor in Nottingham?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shame about the demise of 'made to measure Tailors' that the working man could afford...........was great to have that personal attention back in the day at.............Burtons,Colliers and Willerbys,

Dead right Benj. It does make you feel good having a suit made 'just for you'. I have sloping shoulders and off the peg stuff never fits quite right. Last suit I had made was in Singapore about 5 yrs

I don't actually remember the place (PTP says 1944), but Willerby's were obviously in a pretty upmarket location.   And note the building on the far right, which was - and still is - B

Sorry, can't answer your question but my brother worked for Hector Powe, in a shop in the Council House building, for a short while after leaving school in 1967.

Wasn't there a bloke called Gibson Mather in the Arboretum area that did bespoke gents tailoring ? Expensive by all accounts but top notch.

Last I heard about him would be late '70s ish.

Just spotted this. image #31 near the bottom pf page.

http://the-hunt-room.weebly.com/store/c2/Gentlemen.html

Like the Hunting(mahogany) boots caftan..............just don't know what i'd wear em with.........and aint got a Horse.................

You know caftan that would be perfect............really fancy getting a Motor bike or even a Scooter..........but the weather puts me off,and i'd probably Kill mesen after all these years.........every time I go to Spain I say going to hire a scooter all the blokes even my age seem to have one.......but Donna won't ride Pillion...........lol.

• Upvote 2

I suggested many times to Mrs C that a motorbike would be cheaper & quicker to go to Skeg on . her reply was not lady like, something like me going into a second childhood or summat & to behave mesen !

• Upvote 2

Go for it next time Benjamin.. i always hire one for the duration...no booze obviously- and take my time...up to 125cc does me.

Spent a week travelling around Corfu with herself..great time...the hire bloke even took us out to dinner...( there was a catch)..he wanted to swap Wives for the night...

He took scooter hire to a different level- missus was horrified

Mrs Acropolis wasn't a bad looker though!

On 04/10/2016 at 4:23 PM, Mess said:

Yes ducky I was at FFGS two years above you. Peter Tulley was in your year along with Haggis, Lesley Harrison and Jeanette Casterton. The shop you referred to was Gilberts.

BTW I also played guitar (badly) in a folk group with a lad and his sister that used to practise in High Church St church hall. Ring any bells? 

Okay so I know who you are now. Why does everyone need a pseudonym?

#4. Yes caftan, Gibson Mather's workshop was opposite the Arboretum (a big old house). Their shop was on the corner of Trinity Square and Trinity Walk. My first girlfriend, Pat, was a seamstress with them. If ever I walk past there I am reminded of her. 

Had a couple of suits made by Jacksons the Tailor who were at top of Radford Rd., Just below the bank (now cop shop).

I supplied my own cloth bought from a pub in Liversedge.  2 pc suit length 2 3/4 yards, 3 pc suit length 3 1/4 yards. Reputedly end of runs for Saville Row tailors but probably nicked :rolleyes:  Tailor was impressed with the quality. Can't remember the prices but certainly below ten quid. This was in the 60's of course when spivs were more honourable. This guy had a reputation to keep.or his regular pub sale on Friday evenings would have ended painfully. 

When i was in the chefing game...Cecil Gee still made you something up...for a price...as did Hornes..used to have false pockets with flaps...French stitched pants...obscure buttons etc...Primarny is i can fiscally muster these days!

My school pal Gordon Lewindon had a tailors business , I think it was off Pelham Street .  Last time I saw him though was probably 30 years ago .

Previous to working for himself I think he worked for Will Hill who were in that same area if my memory serves me right . 

I'm sure when I was a Van-lad in 1960.....we used to deliver to Will Hills somewhere around Trinity Square...........

Will Hill was on the corner of Forman St, later a Jaeger shop. They moved to a temporary unit across the road on the church site. I remember a mate wanted to get a suit from there which I thought odd, they were 'old-bloke' to me.

That name rings a bell Siddha,tell us more....................also just looked where you live,.........do/did you know the Cross bros.shops or the Walthams VG store in Holbeach ?