The last tailor in Nottingham?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shame about the demise of 'made to measure Tailors' that the working man could afford...........was great to have that personal attention back in the day at.............Burtons,Colliers and Willerbys,

Dead right Benj. It does make you feel good having a suit made 'just for you'. I have sloping shoulders and off the peg stuff never fits quite right. Last suit I had made was in Singapore about 5 yrs

I don't actually remember the place (PTP says 1944), but Willerby's were obviously in a pretty upmarket location.   And note the building on the far right, which was - and still is - B

On 11/12/2016 at 8:27 AM, Chulla said:

#4. Yes caftan, Gibson Mather's workshop was opposite the Arboretum (a big old house). Their shop was on the corner of Trinity Square and Trinity Walk. My first girlfriend, Pat, was a seamstress with them. If ever I walk past there I am reminded of her. 

I used to to buy my suits from Gibson Mather back in the day. Very expensive but I was well turned out! Both his shop and workshop were at the premises opposite The Arboretum. The one you refer to in Trinity Square was Harry Silverman. I know that because my old firm used to prepare his annual accounts. The audit fee was paid in suits for the senior partner! I don't have a suit to my name now having given them away to charity when I retired. I would imagine there are some very smartly dressed gentlemen deep in the heart of the jungle. My son is marrying next year so it looks like I've got to buy one. Fortunately it's not a morning suit affair but it is at Bolton Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales so I've got to make an effort to look smart. Perhaps a trip to Saville Row or maybe TK Max! I've only got one tie as well which I use for funerals. Oh how I hate to wear a tie.

Lots around Union/St.Ann's Wells Rd. And Pym St- Arthur Messom,Plunketts to name two.In addition what period are you talking about Phil?

I thought Harry Silverman was on Goldsmith st in the 1960's and in the 1970's,Abbey Rd in West Bridgford

Will Hills actual address was 1.Trinity Sq.

Another great Tailor was Willoughby's on Beast market Hill.

I patronised Gibson Mather from 1962 onwards when he was opposite the Arboretum. I believe his tailors were an Italian family who lived on the premises in the big house but they were never seen! Harry Silverman was in Trinity Square on the corner of Trinity Walk. Will Hill was nearby, just across the road. When Gibson retired his number two went to work for a chap between Mansfield Rd. and Sherwood Street. Henri something.

Anytime Phil...............got a Suit I purchased for my Daughters Wedding 5 years ago,only wore it the once..........light grey,44in chest,single vent,34in waist,30in inside leg...............'Suit you sir' ?   would go nice with Red Tie with matching Silk hanky...................lol.

• Upvote 1

Shame about the demise of 'made to measure Tailors' that the working man could afford...........was great to have that personal attention back in the day at.............Burtons,Colliers and Willerbys,made you feel special............last made to measure was at Willerbys about 1970,and when I collected the finished article the assistant said as I was leaving ''go get em Tiger''.........in a John Inman voice........none of that sort of thing today........its all mix and match..and sort ya sen out,.............ahh ne mind at least we owdies remember. the service of yesteryear...............

• Upvote 3

In them days it was all about customer service,yes sir,no sir three bags full sir but you did feel special,today they can't wait to get you in the shop get the money or credit card off you and get rid of you ready for the next poor unfortunate

Rog

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Anytime Phil...............got a Suit I purchased for my Daughters Wedding 5 years ago,only wore it the once..........light grey,44in chest,single vent,34in waist,30in inside leg...............'Suit you sir' ?   would go nice with Red Tie with matching Silk hanky...................lol.

Would have to let the waist out a bit but otherwise almost perfect!

• Upvote 1

#15 &28. Seems I was mistaken about Gibson Mather's shop being on the corner of Trinity Walk (I am talking 1960 - 61). Perhaps they advertised that they sold Gibson Mather-made clothes. I'm sure there was some connection.

15 hours ago, iandawson said:

I do recall the odd green arrow  sign knocking about saying Air Raid Shelter

or Ladies Lavatory.

That's a British Railways sign pointing to Vic Station, Ian. There was always a sign on that lamp-post near the top of Trinity Walk ( obviously GCR/GNR originally ) since the station opened.

13 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Shame about the demise of 'made to measure Tailors' that the working man could afford...........was great to have that personal attention back in the day at.............Burtons,Colliers and Willerbys,made you feel special............last made to measure was at Willerbys about 1970,and when I collected the finished article the assistant said as I was leaving ''go get em Tiger''.........in a John Inman voice........none of that sort of thing today........its all mix and match..and sort ya sen out,.............ahh ne mind at least we owdies remember. the service of yesteryear...............

Dead right Benj. It does make you feel good having a suit made 'just for you'. I have sloping shoulders and off the peg stuff never fits quite right. Last suit I had made was in Singapore about 5 yrs ago. As I was leaving with my new suit the owner said "I have fitted a secret pocket for your smuggled diamonds" wink! Sure enough, a little pocket just inside the top of the trousers zip. So that personal touch is still about but the cost of tailoring in the UK is only for the wealthy. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Chulla said:

#15 &28. Seems I was mistaken about Gibson Mather's shop being on the corner of Trinity Walk (I am talking 1960 - 61). Perhaps they advertised that they sold Gibson Mather-made clothes. I'm sure there was some connection.

He may well have been there 60/61 before he moved to Goldsmith Street. These days older memories seem more vivid than "where did I put my glasses".

• Upvote 1

Benjamin mentioned Willerbys..they were renowned for personal attention and traded in Nottm for many years.

Members on here might recall them on Beastmarket Hill in the 1970's- But in the 1930's they were trading from Clumber St.

And in the 1960's they kitted the mods out from Wheeler Gate.

Does anyone know what the connexion was between 'Burtons Tailors' and 'Snooker Halls'.?...........Burtons had snooker places either above or below their premises.........the ones I remember were Carrington st Nottingham,High st Long Eaton and Gold street Northampton........i'm sure there were others but can't bring to mind.

3 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Does anyone know what the connexion was between 'Burtons Tailors' and 'Snooker Halls'.?...........Burtons had snooker places either above or below their premises.........the ones I remember were Carrington st Nottingham,High st Long Eaton and Gold street Northampton........i'm sure there were others but can't bring to mind.

It was a dance studio over Burtons in Newark back in the 60's. That was my first and only dancing lesson. We went through the lot from waltz to cha cha in the course of the evening. The only saving grace was that there was a bar. No chance of me ever appearing on Strictly!