The last tailor in Nottingham?

Thanks for that Ian........looks a good forum,just had a little squint.......so Burtons and snooker were spread over the country.......you amaze me sometimes Ian.............how did you know crap like that in Kent...........lol.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shame about the demise of 'made to measure Tailors' that the working man could afford...........was great to have that personal attention back in the day at.............Burtons,Colliers and Willerbys,

Dead right Benj. It does make you feel good having a suit made 'just for you'. I have sloping shoulders and off the peg stuff never fits quite right. Last suit I had made was in Singapore about 5 yrs

I don't actually remember the place (PTP says 1944), but Willerby's were obviously in a pretty upmarket location.   And note the building on the far right, which was - and still is - B

Had a friend in Deal yonks ago...that's how I store stuff in this bonce.

Same,earlier today someone mentioned the plastic submarine/diver in Corn Flakes cereal... that reminds me of the argument Tom Courtney as Billy Liar had with Wilfred Pickles,

GOT A pal in Canterbury Kent used to work London with........but never been to Kent.......the only English county ive never visited,...so thought it was odd when you mentioned it..........I store and have little memories of everywhere else..........would love to have been on 'Dels' jolly boys outing to Margate..............lol...............remember when Rodney got back and 'Chinned' Cassandrra's boss..............lol.

Again funny you mention Romany's in Kent..........another friend/aquaitance I have is  Romany' and grew up in Kent,but now lives in Basford,an amazing man,always full of tales about the Romany's........goes to a place in France every year,can't recall its name where many Romany's gather,you probably know that as well Ian...........

Not familiar with that Benjamin..never been to France..or Paris ( in the spring).

I think all those gypsies and fairground people settled in Kent because lots picked the hops and in winter the horses were warmer there.

Funny Paul,my Grandmother had some odd traits from her parents..never walked on the pavement/kettle always on the fire..not the cooker/little green tin of snuff with a white cross on it/always by her side/cooked jugged hare and the best rabbit stew/and one i still do on New Years Eve/

Piece of coal/few coins/and a slice of bread on the window sill.

Another thing my Gran hated was racism.. she saw a lot of it when on the stage.

Edit.

Saintes Maries is the pilgrimage spot in France...fancy a jaunt over the channel mate?

• 1 month later...

I well remember Harry Silverman on Goldsmith Street who tailored my first handmade suit and several others thereafter.

Attired in my school uniform, having bunked off one afternoon, I was fifteen years of age when I first entered his premises.

Clutched in my hand was a Burtons advert, cut from the newspaper, featuring a picture of John Steed from the Avengers, dressed in a very smart suit.

"Would you be able to make me a suit like this" I asked Mr Silverman, placing the advert into his hands. "No", said he, "We would only be able to make one of a much superior quality and style". He had sold himself to me.

Clearly not wanting to embarrass a possibly impecunious schoolboy he whispered to me "You do realise we are a rather expensive tailor". When he had given me their range of prices, I was quite happy, but nevertheless I gave a sharp intake of breath, put a disappointed look on my face , and got five guineas knocked off a suit as a reward.

The quality of his suits were paramount and I still remember the brilliant fit and give of that first dark blue, three piece, medium weight wool worsted.

Times have changed, and so have I. The 1960 s were another world where suits were the preferred attire for half of the male population and warm hearted, witty, skilled characters like Harry Silverman seemed more abundant.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...