Oldest Passenger Station

It is my understandintg that Edge Hill station, just out from Liverpool, is the oldest passenger station still in use, or in continuous use, or something....  There is some history as the actual station seems to have moved a bit over time, but 1830 ish is pretty close.

Still, I pass through there regularly 'en route' from St Helen's Central on my approx. monthly 'boozy trips' to Liverpool.

I've never actually got off there, but one day I will, as there seem to be some fairly minimal displays of info...I reckon there really ought to be much more..given the global impact of rail travel, and the significance of Edge Hill.

If I recall correctly, Manchester Liverpool Road, is about as old.  It is preserved as part of Manchester Museum of Science and Industry.

It's quite an awesome thought that it is close on 190 years since this technology was introduced.

Views?

Col

Liverpool Rd as built in 1830, as was  Liverpool's Edge Hill, but I don't know the exact opening dates.

Depending which website you look at, Liverpool's Broad Green is the oldest, but I believe that to be 1832. Very confusing !

Liverpool Rd was under threat a few years ago, when Network Rail planned to demolish it in a modernisation project, but I don't know how things have progressed. 

I've just Googled Edge Hill, and find that the original 1830 building was superseded by one slightly to the north east which is still in use today and was constructed in 1836. So, you're correct in my mind. Manchester Liverpool Rd it is !

• 5 months later...

The former Manchester Liverpool Road station is still there and part of the Museum of Science and Industry. It maintained access to the national network until fairly recently but that was severed by the construction of the 'Ordsall Chord' - the new rail link between Victoria and Piccadilly stations - see www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mosi-ordsall-chord-steam-trains-7131494