• 2 years later...

Its not a ferry - its a steam boat taking people on trips down from Trent Bridge to Colwick Hall. These were hugely popular and there was a landing stage at Colwick Hall ( think its long gone) There was also some kind of pleasure park at Colwick Hall too and I think they used to light it up at night with glass lights filled with small candles. Its hard to believe now but there were still steamers offering trips down to Colwick Hall in the early 1960's ( round trip - you didnt get out) plus there were tons of rowing boats for hire. Whats there now? Nowt!

Rowing boats on the Trent, these days, sorry too risky, Health and Safety.

I remember sunday afternoon trips along the Trent by steamer in the 50's, they used to go all the way to Radcliffe and back, would I be right in thinking that there was a quay there that they would briefly moor up to so that people could stretch their legs before the journey back.

Colwick Hall used to be one of our summer sunday evening adventures, we would catch the trolleybus to it's terminus and walk along to the Hall, we used to sit outside and drink Apollo lemonade through a straw while father had a couple of pints of what may have been Home Ales. If we were brave, we would sneak into the ruined church. I remember going into the bar with him which seemed to be full of ornate plaster ceilings and cupboards with interwoven lattice work fronts, funny what you remember from when you were a kid.

I remember the "Tamar Belle" and the trips on the Trent but she was still running in the 80s!! I don't know if it's still running now

Anybody ??

hi ian. yes the Tamar Belle is still cruising down the trent and is available as far as i know for parties etc. not been on it myself but i know people that have. x

That pleasure beach/fun fair etc that's mentioned, went once one bank holiday, no idea when except pre 1957, I thought it was nearer towards Trent Bridge? maybe at end of Trent Lane where the Boatyard is/was? A thought generated some years ago first time I went there by car and saw on the wall at end of Trent Lane "To the funfair" (or similar) with arrow pointing through gates, This sign had obviously been there many years as faded but properly done, painted sign writing etc. The pleasure beach etc (was there some big dipper type of thing?) was I think a permanant thing open every season so would I think been on private land.

Like your sign, my memory has also faded...

Have a nagging feeling that the funfair and pleasure beach were two different places...

Your observations tend to confirm that the funfair was near to Trent Lane.

The pleasure beach was always known, and advertised, as Colwick Sands - inferring it was further on...perhaps adjacent to today's ring road?

Travelled there many times in the 50's from Trent Bridge, on the boat owned by my mother's family - the Brookhouse's.

Trevithick's also had a TB mooring, and offered the same trip..

Cheers

Robt P.

• 7 months later...

You were right on the location and I have a piccie taken in Jan 1946 of the entrance which was via the front of the owners bunglaow, up for sale at that time. There is a man (the owner?) standing in the front of the house and he has decorated the front 'garden' with what looks to be the entire contents of a graveyard, statues of cherubs and angels, urns etc. I have tried to upload it but for some reason it won't go. I also have a fishing ticket which looks as though ti was issued yesterday which cost 6d and ditto on the upload. Grrrrrr

Yes you'll need a Photobucket or Flickr or similar depository accounts to put the photos into, then just copy the img code and paste them here.