Back in 1963 my friend and I used to go ten pin bowling on Saturday mornings at the newly opened Excel Bowl on Barker Gate.

We'd take a 43 trolley bus into town for 3d then walk up Pelham St spending some time in Beecrofts then take a walk down Hockley to the bowling alley.

About half way down Hockley on the right was a chemist shop with the whole front window display devoted to Durex Family Planning products. In the early 60s Durex came in maroon and cream paper square envelopes and the whole Durex range was on display. It was rather intimidating for a 13 year old lad like me trying to work out what the sponges, jellies and creams were all for. It seemed that sex was going to be like an art lesson. Dabbing on stuff with the sponge didn't seem very erotic.

All became clear when I plucked up courage to ask my mum what it was all about.

The most hideous thing in the Durex range back then was the reusable condom which you apparently washed and then dried on a penis shaped cage

I googled this to make sure I hadn't dreamt it and sure enough that was a genuine Durex offering      around that time.

I wonder if it shrank if you put in the washing machine?

lol

That looks like the place

I guess the guy was a regular customer.

He looks a bit of a tosser with his hand in his pocket.

• Upvote 1

I mentioned this same 'giggle-worthy' shop on a previous topic VICTORIAN ADVERTS.  Always stopped to look at the dreadful window display on the way to the Bowling Alley on a 60s Sunday afternoon!  

On 11/27/2016 at 6:35 PM, benjamin1945 said:

The Scots are ok,...........Forest have had some great ones.........Thompson,Mcdonold,Mckinley,Quigley,Burns,Gemmil two of them,.,Imlach,to say nowt of slim Jim Baxter,McCormack,and the greatest of all Joe Baker,...

52 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

...... 'Jock Strap' ...

What years did he play for Forest ?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 28/11/2016 at 9:33 PM, Guest said:

Wasn't the Family Planning Clinic on Carrington Street?

I remember the place being colloquially known as the Foot Clinic - with a deliberate miss-pronunciation of foot, or perhaps not!

I remember a "herbalists" shop on Alfreton Road by the bus stop, just past Gregory Boulevard that had a similar display of "bedroom accessories"